Company Outgoing Mail blocked

PhoenixFire

Hello All,

Yesterday our company experienced a short period when outgoing emails were denied. I query Spamcop's (bl.spamcop.net) for our IP: 66.179.109.179 and it returned a positive that we were listed on SCBL.

This morning, we were still on the blacklist. This afternoon about 1pm CST, we were delisted.

This morning I called our ISP and they said to contact Spamcop? I thought they would be responsible for this since they give us the IP address? Anyhow, I don't want to play tug-a-war with them on the issue. Our company has been in business for 30+yrs, this is the first time we're experience this. There isn't much information I can post from the listing info. to say what actually "cause" us to be on SCBL. I do remember the cause was rather "vague".

I've checked and tested our Email server and it does not allow Relay. I'd like to know if anybody can help provide information why we were on Spamcop Blacklist, as to prevent this in the near future. Or point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

[[Phoenix]]

OK. First, thank you for posting the IP address in question. We can provide much more specific answers with that bit of information.

host 66.179.109.179 = p01m179.mxlogic.net

Reporting addresses:abuse[at]inflow.net

Is this your own personal IP or the IP of a shared host? Some of the spam reported from this IP address are:

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:49:09 AM -0500:

=?utf-8?q?Our company can prov?=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:49:09 AM -0500:

claim your 215,000.00 loan

Submitted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 10:59:47 AM -0500:

Leading Authorities Presents Matthew Dowd

Submitted: Monday, February 07, 2005 5:45:35 PM -0500:

don`t be an a**h*#e Rosanne

Submitted: Monday, February 07, 2005 5:41:16 PM -0500:

don`t be an a**h*#e Elise

Senderbase ( http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...=66.179.109.179 ) reports show a large increase in the amount of messages sent compared to the average for that IP.

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 3.7 1543%

Last 30 days 3.5 811%

Average 2.5

Something behind that IP address is spewing garbage to the world and it will likely be listed again shortly. If this is your assigned IP address, disconnect from the internet as soon as possible until you can get it fixed. If it is a shared IP, you need to get back in touch with your ISP (or administrator of that IP).

66.179.109.179 is not listed in Spamcop!

66.179.109.179 is listed in SPEWS, they are down the hall that way ----->

66.179.109.179 ia an inflow IP - You are privately blocked by hundreds of thousands of email servers because Inflow is a spam supporter.

In any case you are not listed by Spamcop. Go check SPEWS.

StevenUnderwood

I appreciate your help!

I guess sometimes the NDR isn't very clear either.

What I found out is that the IP belongs to MXLogic, a content-filtering service company. And they were on the SCBL, causing all this headache... of course, anybody under this IP wouldn't have a clue if they were getting mail or not.

*go figure...

...what online irony; an anti-spam gets blacklisted for spamming.

Thanks again!

*go figure...

...what online irony; an anti-spam gets blacklisted for spamming.

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of spamcop and if you are concerned about your company's reputation, then perhaps you should look into the logic of blocklists and how most blocklists operate.

Also, IMHO, content-filtering operations are not 'anti-spam' - they are merely providing a fast way to 'Just Hit Delete' and some of them may be exploiting the spam situation rather than merely providing a service. IOW, some of them may not be interested in stopping spam since they are making the big bucks filtering it.

Miss Betsy

Archived