No reporting -> Less spam

albert2

Hello,

Because the extra complexity added to reporting spam thanks to Google Mail, where i had to remove lines from the headers before i could report making automatisation by forwarthing the spam messages to my reporting address impossible, a while back i finally gave up reporting.

When i reported my settings at spamcop was to munge my reported messages to remove identifying information, so if the spammer gets a report send to him by his provider it should not trace back to me. At least this is what i hoped.

Since i stopped sending reports my spam suddenly went down to a point where i can say atm i only receive 10% of the spam i used to receive when reporting.

Can this be explained ?

I can see only one explication myself which is that though the spam reports somehow my email address was confirmed to the spammer making him retaliate to me for the reporting or just send more spam in the hope i would click on the links anyway. However a lot of this spam didn't even contain links or financial scam, so where just send to annoy me which seems  to confirm my thoughts.

So Why does munged reports still allow to spammer to identify the reporter ?

1 hour ago, albert2 said:

Don't see that it does?
My Gmail spam has dropped latley also? Seems that, that gets caught is marked "suspicious" with warning not to proceed

I'm seconding petzl. spam in my gmail inbox/spam folder has also dropped drastically.

Currently I'm fighting a spammer that originally wasn't one, but has no idea -- clueless -- what it means when I unsubscribe, and weeks later, they start firing up a daily trivia email campaign...
So now they are spamming me, and I have no remorse on telling their host about their newly turned spammer...

Just a matter of time now. Either they'll figure it out, or their host will...

On 4/10/2019 at 9:37 PM, RobiBue said:

my gmail inbox/spam folder has also dropped drastically.

For me, my spam is up and down.  I noticed that gmail is lately blocking a lot of the spam.  It is also rejecting some of my legitimate email as if it were spam too.  I dislike it went folks sign up on a mailing list and then mark it as spam instead of unsubcribing because I am fighting the gmail spam police who tend to block that instead of just putting it in my spam folder.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, albert2 said:

Hello,

Because the extra complexity added to reporting spam thanks to Google Mail, where i had to remove lines from the headers before i could report making automatisation by forwarthing the spam messages to my reporting address impossible, a while back i finally gave up reporting.

When i reported my settings at spamcop was to munge my reported messages to remove identifying information, so if the spammer gets a report send to him by his provider it should not trace back to me. At least this is what i hoped.

Since i stopped sending reports my spam suddenly went down to a point where i can say atm i only receive 10% of the spam i used to receive when reporting.

Can this be explained ?

I can see only one explication myself which is that though the spam reports somehow my email address was confirmed to the spammer making him retaliate to me for the reporting or just send more spam in the hope i would click on the links anyway. However a lot of this spam didn't even contain links or financial scam, so where just send to annoy me which seems  to confirm my thoughts.

How would they every be able to trace you though munged reports? And why would the host or ISP send them the munged reports? It sounds crazy. I don't think you're the only recipient and he sends to hundreds upon hundreds of others he would never be able to trace it back to you.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, gnarlymarley said:

For me, my spam is up and down.  I noticed that gmail is lately blocking a lot of the spam.  It is also rejecting some of my legitimate email as if it were spam too.  I dislike it went folks sign up on a mailing list and then mark it as spam instead of unsubcribing because I am fighting the gmail spam police who tend to block that instead of just putting it in my spam folder.

I too dislike it when folks sign up on a mailing list and then mark it as spam instead of unsubscribing, but I dislike it even more, when an emailer, after me having unsubscribed from *ALL* their emails, decides that I might still be interested, regardless of my decision.

WRT gmail blocking/rejecting legitimate email: I haven't had that encounter yet, or the person that got rejected never got in touch with me about it...

On 4/15/2019 at 1:42 AM, klappa said:

How would they every be able to trace you though munged reports? And why would the host or ISP send them the munged reports? It sounds crazy. I don't think you're the only recipient and he sends to hundreds upon hundreds of others he would never be able to trace it back to you.

They do that by mapping some sort of combination of the from, links in the body, special keywords in the subject, and who they sent the message to.  I think the from of the report is the report id, so each report should be different.  How I think they track it is they see which spam gets reported and then assume only people who those were sent to is reporting it.  When I saw the "to" I noticed they kept changing it until they could narrow it down.  Now I think they do this in BCC mode.

2 hours ago, RobiBue said:

but I dislike it even more, when an emailer, after me having unsubscribed from *ALL* their emails, decides that I might still be interested, regardless of my decision.

Yeah, that would be really annoying.  Or when the mailing list stops sending you emails in 2003, you stay subscribed, and they start sending again in 2018.....

2 hours ago, RobiBue said:

WRT gmail blocking/rejecting legitimate email: I haven't had that encounter yet, or the person that got rejected never got in touch with me about it...

How I know the legitimate email blocking is happening is two points.  i have my own email server that sends me nightly report.  When it sent out two reports (after a few years of sending them), I noticed I didn't get them at my gmail account and research on that MTA said gmail thought it was spam.  The other point is when I would forward spamcop emails, the reply was rejected on three separate occasions.  I had to login to my spamcop account and click the "problem fixed" button.