Why is the spam still flooding my email?

Bruschi70

Since 2/7/05 I've filed 226 reports to spamcop. Yet daily my email is still receiving 3-6 spam a day. All from the same spammer. He's changed a few things but all spam breaks down to cnc-noc.net for the host of webpage. The originator network sending the spam changes. However i'm most certain it's all one spammer. How many reports does it take to see reults? and how long? the 226 reports are indivdual reports no double reports. Do I have some kind of rare type of spammer who is too hard to terminate? As I have been reporting thru spamcop as well as my ISP and using the whois software to report. Yet the spam keeps coming. Please help

spam reports by themselves do not tend to stop spam unless the specific spammers can figure out your email address and simply remove you from their lists, which is unlikely. More likely is you would confirm your address and they will add you to other lists of known good addresses.

Most spam comes from multiple sources as you have found. In that case the most the report will do is turn off internet access for some simple user whose machine has a trojan installed. More likely, the most the ISP will do is warn them they are infected and tell them to fix the problem. Those reports wil never make it to the source of the spam because there is no way to track it beyond the infected computer.

What spamcop reports do help with is adding the IP address to the spamcop blocklist while the spam run is in progress. That will stop the current spam run from reaching anyone using the spamcop blocklist to decide what to deliver and what to refuse or direct to a spam folder. If your account is not protected by the spamcop blocklist, you are helping others, but not yourself.

Also, not to upset you, but I have reported at least 125-150 spam every day for the last 3 years and I still get the same amount (perhaps a little more as spamming has increased throughout the internet). Very little of it (less than 1%) reaches my inbox because of the spamcop email system filtering it out for me.

Bruschi, some of us have reported over 20,000 spams and still saw no reduction, on the contrary, we get more. Once your e-mail address has got into a spammer list it will propagate like a virus. You have very little spam yet, try 200> a day, as most of us here get.

cnc-noc.net .. what can one say? One could be nice and suggest that there isn't anyone there that understands English enough for them to figure out why they are being spammed from some outfit called SpamCop (but we all know that this isn't true) One could go with the lure of all that incoming money they see from the folks generating all this traffic due to their inaction to all the complaints. The basic premise is that the SpamCop parsing and reporting tool works well with ISPs that actually do something with the notifications. cnc-noc.net is not one of those ISPs.

For other examples of inaction, please see http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=hoshame ... thousands of reports sent over a week and yet the spew continues from some of those places???? This is not a "failing" of the SpamCop parsing and reporting tool, rather the lack of appropriate administration of the spam spew systems involved.

Archived