spam or virus

maz

Has spam gone crazy again... or is it another virus?

I received an email today from support at symantec something like a new buppa-k virus, but I didn't report a virus, they were telling me I did, I suspect the file might be the virus.

My server and email fouled up last night and started losing things. I got 50 spams today, they bumped right up again.

I received an email today from support at symantec something like a new buppa-k virus, but I didn't report a virus, they were telling me I did, I suspect the file might be the virus.
These viruses often claim to come from reputable companies like Microsoft or Symantec. You can use the SpamCop parser to find out where the message really came from. Never open the attachment, even if the message tells you that it is very important to do so. Install good antivirus software and keep it up-to-date. If possible, get virus filtering on your mail server. I have a spamcop.net email account, which filters out viruses automagically so they never even reach my inbox.

These viruses often claim to come from reputable companies like Microsoft or Symantec. You can use the SpamCop parser to find out where the message really came from. Never open the attachment, even if the message tells you that it is very important to do so. Install good antivirus software and keep it up-to-date. If possible, get virus filtering on your mail server. I have a spamcop.net email account, which filters out viruses automagically so they never even reach my inbox.

24496[/snapback]

Mac doesn't have half the problems of other pc's, all my other accounts are fine, its just my ISP addy, notably its down today, but my connection is still okay.

This is laughable spam :rolleyes: from unsubscribenow

If you've received this message  - then your email address has been captured circulating on junk-email and spam related message lists.  UnsubscribeNow.org spam-traps junk-email circulating  online, parses multiple-recipient addresses and registers  their 'remove-me' links into the UnsubscribeNow.org  remove-me database.

Has spam gone crazy again... or is it another virus?

My server and email fouled up last night and started losing things. I got 50 spams today, they bumped right up again.

24494[/snapback]

Another reason to use SpamCop email (The ONLY email address you will ever need) as SpamCop checks all incoming email for both spam and Virus

You should always run your own Virus program with latest definitions

For windows uses check the links in my signature the Virus program I mention is not only as good as the best its free and reasonably low on system resources

The other links are also now compulsory for a secure internet (wndows)computer all programs are free for individual use

Luv ur signature petzl

I'm a little curious if you are familiar with the sourceforge project Calm or specifically clamwin:

http://www.clamwin.com/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/

I'm currently checking out AVG tho.

So far, AVG is performing nicely, it found the 10 viri I had stored for later inspection. (it's only 3 different versions of same strain) It's curious, after I reported a spam to a specific site in China, I've been recieving viri form a neighboring ip addy.

I wonder what that's all about... :unsure:

It's curious, after I reported a spam to a specific site in China, I've been recieving viri form a neighboring ip addy. 

24551[/snapback]

They are probably targetting you now after I clicked on your single pixel yesterday, confirming that you received their email and that you (actually I, but they don't know that) use an insecure browser. Be very scared. :ph34r::lol:

...use an insecure browser. Be very scared.  :ph34r:  :lol:

I think IE is insecure... I even tried uninstalling it. Add/remove programs/Windows components, IE used to be listed there for uninstallation.

After Uninstalling it, it is still on my computer, becuse I can still get windows update which requires it, but I think it did remove the icon from the desktop, and shuffeled a few other files around. Kinda wish I would have taken a full inventory, b4 and after. I was reluctant to uninstall ie, but it seems my reluctance was for naught.

Me thinks Microsoft also blieves in the spammer rulez.

Ran windows update (haven't for a while) There's a cumulative patch for IE which isn't installed on my computer, go figure. :blink:

Luv ur signature petzl

I'm a little curious if you are familiar with the sourceforge project Calm or specifically clamwin:

http://www.clamwin.com/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/

I'm currently checking out AVG tho.

So far, AVG is performing nicely, it found the 10 viri I had stored for later inspection. (it's only 3 different versions of same strain)  It's curious, after I reported a spam to a specific site in China, I've been recieving viri form a neighboring ip addy. 

24551[/snapback]

Thanks for the link

I were not aware of them but are now. AVG has been around for a while and seems to be as good (if not better) as any paid for anti-virus product. Wonder when Microsoft will have a "tack-on" virus detector

Chinese are internet hopeless! They probably :o have infected machines that send out virus's to all their spam victims? I only use a spamcop e-mail address and do not see any of their mindless rubbish. Any good provider would allow you to block all of China because of to many spam tolerent/ignorant providers. This also applies to their seemingly endless number of virus infected machines

If you use a firewall and EVERYONE should (ideally BOTH hardware and software) Software minimum type You will see virus (amongst other deliberate attackers) always trying to access/attack and infect through various ports every few seconds

You Guys lost me on this thread, now we're in China :rolleyes:

I'm all mac on a modem, very little meldrama, I would fire Bill and delete IE if it weren't for having to browser check the site, most visitors are using IE 'SAVE US :o '.

This whole problem I'm having is escalating, now I'm blacklisted again. I've been signed up and rescued with SpamCop since the last time the ship went down, but this recent stuff is like the cover is blown. The Pirates are on board :ph34r:

walking the plank to the sharks.......

I'm all mac on a modem, very little meldrama

Yeah, but the propriatary problems still abound. Trying to find a replacement connector for a power adaptor on an iBook ... something that is like $.03 US for most of the Windows machines I've got laying around ... but no ... off size, strange configuration, and as it turns out, some wiring differences between the portable models ... leading the general consensus that the only "repair" is to buy another $70+ power unit ....

This whole problem I'm having is escalating, now I'm blacklisted again.

Having problems guessing at what this means. Based on your posting IP;

ns1.o1.com reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

10 smeagol.o1.com 69.19.135.5

69.19.135.5 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 4.2 .. 1027%

Last 30 days .. 4.2 ... 849%

Average ........ 3.2

That sure has some bad things hinted at.

However, not sure where you think/are listed.

Archived