Not Filtering???

I've been using Spamcop for about 5 months and love it. I setup a new account yesterday for one of my clients. Went through the entire configuration and have set the same levels as my account. But in 12 hours, it has not filtered one email, and 38 spams have been passed through.

The configuration is somewhat different in this: the ISP will NOT forward email, so I am having Spamcop retrieve the email from the ISP POP. I then have it forward to a different address I setup. All email is going through fine, but no filtering is taking place.

The other difference to take note of is that he is using a qwest alias...i.e., people send messages to joe[at]joeschmoe.com (an alias) and qwest forwards it to his qwest account, joeschmoe[at]qwest.net. Spamcop retrieves the mail from the POP server logging into his joeschmoe[at]qwest.net account and forwards it to joeschmoefiltered[at]qwest.net (the new account I setup yesterday).

Would the alias be causing the non-filtering? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would the alias be causing the non-filtering? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It should not. Almost all of my email is sent from an alias account at Netforward. I also have spamcop POP all of the junk that gets sent to my yahoo account and forwarding works there.

Went through the entire configuration and have set the same levels as my account.

Are you talking about selecting all the very same blacklists (including spamassasin)or about the spamassasin level on the blacklists page? I assume you meant all the check marks are the same between the accounts.

But in 12 hours, it has not filtered one email, and 38 spams have been passed through.

Have you checked the held mail folder to be sure nothing is being held?

Also, is the client possibly still popping from the original account? Could this spam being injected into this new account? Check the full headers or post them here so we can help you out.

Are you talking about selecting all the very same blacklists (including spamassasin)or about the spamassasin level on the blacklists page? I assume you meant all the check marks are the same between the accounts.

Yes, the same DNS blacklists and the same spam Assassin level.

Have you checked the held mail folder to be sure nothing is being held?

Also, is the client possibly still popping from the original account? Could this spam being injected into this new account? Check the full headers or post them here so we can help you out.

No. There is nothing in the Held Mail folder at all. I have checked it several times to no avail.

Also, no. First thing I checked was the client settings to ensure it was POPing the new account. The spam is coming from the new account. I will attempt to get headers and post them soon.

Thanks for the reply. I will be adding more as more information comes in.

Start here to check your setup

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?&act=SF&f=5

and here

<http://mail.spamcop.net/setup/setup.php>

After doing that consider this

Suggested setup for a start

(1) Log in using your FULL spamcop email address here

<http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp>

(2) click "Options" at top of page

(3) in box "Mail Management" click "SpamCop Tools"

(4) click "Select your email filtering blacklists."

(5) uncheck box "Block All " and check all the boxes in box

"DNS Blacklist" and click "Blue Button" "Modify" underneath

(6) have your provider forward your email to your spamcop address

(7) Setup your email client to collect (POP3) your email from spamcop.

In the POP3 box of your email client remove the one you have there and replace with "pop.spamcop.net"

(7b) If you use IMAP to access your email, please use the following names:

spamcop.net customers: imap.spamcop.net

You can disable "auto polling". If you do not a bell will ring every time a message hits your "held folder"

(8) Success you should now have all mail caught by filters in your held folder with only legitimate email in your inbox

(9)For logging into held folder

<http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog>

This will allow you to forward and whitelist innocents and Toast the guilty at a simple click of the mouse button

I would suggest you use password software for bettter security for logging in

http://www.password-depot.com/download.htm

This is basically freeware for 20 passwords/URLs

It also works flawlessly from a USB drive (good for shared computers)

Lockable by two completly different strong encryption methods (Blowfish AND Rjindael)

You then disable your personal computer to remember passwords and login (always uncheck this option on shared computers)

To contact SpamCop go here

<http://mail.spamcop.net/>

<http://mail.spamcop.net/contact.php>

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have looked through all of the help areas and can't find any info about

Filters/Rules. Can someone explain? I have created several filters with disposition

of "Discard" but they don't seem to do anything. Emails still show up in HeldMail,

even though that address is in the Filter with a specific Rule. I thought this would kill spam I had in the Rules and I would never see it, which is what I wanted.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

I understand that filters will not work unless I log in via Webmail. Unfortunately, this is not really an option for me. Is there any hope that we will be able to filter emails when logging in through IMAP or POP3 in the future?

Mat

Hi, Mat,

Hi,

I understand that filters will not work unless I log in via Webmail. Unfortunately, this is not really an option for me. Is there any hope that we will be able to filter emails when logging in through IMAP or POP3 in the future?

Mat

...Well, I don't know much about how SpamCop.net's e-mail service works, but StevenUnderwood wrote in androuji.com spam -> spamcop.net that you don't need to be in webmail to use the blocklists. Hopefully, Steven will show up here to say more.

...Good luck!

Hi, I have looked through all of the help areas and can't find any info about

Filters/Rules. Can someone explain? I have created several filters with disposition

of "Discard" but they don't seem to do anything. Emails still show up in HeldMail,

even though that address is in the Filter with a specific Rule. I thought this would kill spam I had in the Rules and I would never see it, which is what I wanted.

Thanks,

Steve

The filters you are trying to use only work when you are logged into the webmail application and depending on your local webmail settings, only when you hit the filter button (funnel looking icon). They are equivalent to the filters you can setup on your local machine with Outlook or Eudora.

One other hangup that causes problems, be sure the "Stop processing" switch is not set on any of the filters. Once a filter is used with that switch set, all filter processing stops (not just on the current message like other filtering processes).

Good luck and post any follow up questions you might have.

Steve T is correct.

I understand that filters will not work unless I log in via Webmail.

The "Email filtering blacklists" (spamcop, spews, etc and spamassasin) work to filter the spam to the held mail folder without being logged into webmail. You do need to log into webmail to configure them, however. You can get there using this link.

Is there any hope that we will be able to filter emails when logging in through IMAP or POP3 in the future?

The personal filters only work within the webmail application. There should be filtering options within your IMAP or POP3 client to do the same types of things the personal filters do within webmail.

Archived