Idea to help keep people reporting spam

thebassman

If you are a paid subscriber spam comes with no. the number of spams you reported so far.

24936[/snapback]

In what form, on what screen or in what email?

Thanks!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In what form, on what screen or in what email?

Thanks!

24940[/snapback]

In this form:

Check All Reset

[19586] galilean[at]jungpoland.org (Pleased to meet you! Preview )

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:39:42 -0800 ()

[19587] l_becker[at]jan.ne.jp (Impotence treatment Preview )

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:51:31 -0200 ()

[19588] yxzte[at]mypersonalemail.com (Application approval #3 3 3 % CURRENT_DATE_TIME Preview )

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:23:57 +0600 ()

The bolded blue numbers on the held mail page are spam no. in sequence and represent the total no. reported (by me) so far!

Ohhh, that's the old, decrepit, dying, not-supported-anymore VER page. I never go there any more, as I thought I had no need for it. But I just went there, just for you, dra007, and it showed me that I had reported 392521 spams from Held Mail, over 20 times the number you have reported from Held Mail. And that statistic might represent just VER reports.

Actually, I believe that number represents every message that has been in your Held Mail folder, but should be a pretty good estimate (forwarding back to Inbox does not renumber the messages).

BTW, mine is 79918 right now for just over 2 years of reporting.

So since the counting function is already there, maybe it wouldn't be too tough to add something to the current reporting page... I think it would help keep people more interested.

One problem is that count is part of the email system which is owned by JT and the parser is owned by IronPort Systems. They are connected by name only. Also, not everyone has an email type account, so they do not have that type of count.

Many moons ago, I used to BCC myself a copy of every SpamCop Report I sent and then archive those copies in a searchable manner, before that feature broke (see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=24683 for details). I could then count the copies that had piled up for any period. Ahh, those were the days! :)

The following is from memory, as I don't have all my materials at hand - please correct me:

Ironport Systems owns the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service (having bought it from Julian), Julian basically programs and runs it, Don and Richard help him administer it, some Ironport people are doing something behind the scenes, Akamai helps protect it, the Deputies (is it just Ellen at this point?) provide first-level paid support, and us customers, volunteers, and freeloaders use it to parse spam and single lines and to report spam, use its SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL) to block spam, and help each other to help themselves through the use of these Forums and the SpamCop Newsgroups.

The SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service relies heavily on outside sources of information, including the IP allocation registries at ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, LACNIC, and the other Regional IP Registries (RIRs) around the world, the Domain Name System (dns), the Domain allocation and WHOIS registries at Domain Registrars around the world, the abuse address registry at abuse.net, and various blocklists and blacklists.

When spam is alleged to have originated from their networks, ISPs and others in charge of the private networks that make up the Internet are expected by rabid anti-spammers who report using SpamCop to: receive a SpamCop Report; Care about that Report; Acknowledge Receipt and Thank the Reporter for helping them to do their jobs; Take Ownership of the Issue raised by the Report; Investigate; Take Appropriate Action; Notify the Reporter about the Action; and Notify the Reporting part of the Parsing and Reporting Service about the Action. Sadly, they almost never meet those expectations, generally due to apathy, underfunding, understaffing, and/or underempowerment. :(

Jeff T. AKA jefft AKA JT owns and runs the SpamCop Email System (formerly the SpamCop Mail Service) as a service of his Corporate Email Services, along with this Forum Server, the SpamCop News Server, and their associated infrastructures, Wazoo helps him administer these Forums, StevenUnderwood and I help them moderate these Forums, and the customers, volunteers, and freeloaders help each other to help themselves through the use of these Forums, and occasionally the spamcop.mail newsgroup.

The SpamCop Email System allows its Customers to use up to a dozen selected blocklists and blacklists for filtering their email, one being the SCBL and the rest being external sources of information.

Wow... thanks for all the great info! This may be none of my business, but it SpamCop profitable? I mean, is it in a position to create partnerships and advertise a little and whatnot? It seems that the team is made up of technical people, with no marketing/PR people...

I always report from within Webmail. I hope this helps keep the SCBL up-to-date. I get only one or two spams through per day, versus 100 or more trapped in held mail each day.

I always report from within Webmail.  I hope this helps keep the SCBL up-to-date.  I get only one or two spams through per day, versus 100 or more trapped in held mail each day.

25031[/snapback]

Do you report your Held Mail?

What do you guys mean by "held mail"?

25200[/snapback]

Absolutely! 99% of spam gets trapped by the SCBL.

Absolutely!  99% of spam gets trapped by the SCBL.

25221[/snapback]

Yes - I use the SCBL but I don't have a spamcop e-mail account so had not heard of the term held mail.

Presumably it is the same as the "spam" folder in gmail, and the "junk" folder in hotmail?.....I think gmail must use the SCBL because very few slip into my inbox, I still diligently report all spam in my "spam" folder though....

A little off, in relation to where the thread has been heading - but as a reply to the initial subject, which is the increasing discouragement, with reporting the spam :)

I'd have to agree that it's getting slightly discouraging at times - especially when the amount of spam doesn't decrease, but rather increase heavily. I've gone from an average of 5-6 pieces of spam a day, to an average of 15-17 pieces. I keep reporting them, since I still believe that one man can make a difference - but I'm starting to think that we might be simply focusing the efforts in the wrong place.

The big problem are the ISPs, who don't really do sh... whenever they get these reports - despite having dedicated abuse mail-adresses. I've seen many ISPs from the inside, and they're not really inclined to do anything, until the time it involves legal sanctions.

Taking the problem a step further, it's the governments, who don't indite legal sanctions against ISPs, who don't act on spam reports - making it a law. To my knowledge, no law even exists in anything but an extremely vague form in any country. Whether it be so-called civilized countries like the States, or any European country, our laws are still providing WAY too much space to be circumvented - and by far most countries don't even have specific anti-spam laws, which can be focused on the ISPs, to force them to take responsibility.

I can't help feeling like we're fighting the symptoms here, since we're lacking the power to fight the disease, which is the governmental indifference in the majority of the worldwide countries, and safe havens in non-industrialized countries, where spammers move their production sites to, to make sure that nothing can be done legally.

We need a world police, based on the internet protocols, able to shut down entire ISPs in the intercontinental switches and the owners of the worldwide IP-adresses, if they fail to comply with generally accepted rules - but then we're back to Echelon and Big Brother, whom NOBODY wants looking over our back, whenever we do anything. Basically, we're lacking a way to really pack a punch against these annoying and criminal people, since we have no direct power over the respective governments, ISPs, or even the IP-adresses themselves. - And with the launch of IPv6, we're all going to be a lot of trouble, since the amount of adresses multiply by an insane number, creating even more play room for these criminals.

What do we do then? What can we do, each of us, to provide a better solution to this problem, apart from reporting the bad IP-adresses to the ISPs, who generally couldn't care less? Well, I'm personally up for any and all suggestions, if it brings a result.

But in the meantime, remember that this DOES serve a cause - we might not cause a lot of spammers to get shut down, but just as every spam mail we receive is a nuisance, so is every single IP-address they have to abandon to them. They have the cards, but if we're stubborn enough, we can still make a slow, very slow, turn into power, also simply by bringing awareness. These reports create a lot of publicity, and the issue is getting adressed in several places. Even in Denmark, where I'm from, a small 5 million people country, some of the political parties are discussing laws to force ISPs to block malicious IP-adresses, so somebody IS doing something in some places. Now we just need the rest of the world to help apprehend these privacy-invaders. And we'll get them, eventually. We'll get them.

Don't give up! :ph34r:

~Noia

What better motivators than knowing the spammers are inconvenienced?

24771[/snapback]

How 'bout knowing that the spammers (and their associated SPAMvertised Website owner/operators) were folded, spindled, mutilated, drawn & quartered, flayed alive, dipped in hot boiling oil, and given to the Orcs for dinner?

:lol:

Archived