Importing mail from Outlook Express to Thunderbird

Dave_L

I recently imported all my mail from Outlook Express to Mozilla Thunderbird.

It worked ok, except that the imported mail had some odd lines at the beginning:

From - Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1965

X-Mozilla-Status: 0000

X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000

Return-Path: <munged[at]example.com>

Does this look like a bug, or maybe a result of some test/debug code?

Will these extra "headers" be a problem if I replied to or forwarded one of these emails?

I recently imported all my mail from Outlook Express to Mozilla Thunderbird.

[snip]

Will these extra "headers" be a problem if I replied to or forwarded one of these emails?

25404[/snapback]

Well, I can't see that it would be a problem on the assumption that these have been added as a group of lines at the top of the headers. It rather depends on how they are interpreted down the line from you but the 'From' line isn't a standard header format and the other two are 'X-Mozilla' tokens and should not be interpreted by any parsing of the headers.

Andrew

I've been submitting reports from Thunderbird source w/out incident.

The "From" line is an antiquated standard used on unix systems, to separate mail messages in the mailbox. Since Mozilla runs on mutiple platforms (including Unix/Linux) I guess they chose that as the start of the mail.

Crazyness: If you send a mail to yourself on (presumably any e-mailer) and have a blank line before a prior to a line that starts with the word "From", the e-mail will obfuscate the "from" so that it won't be recognised as a blanks line preceding the "From" keyword.

Tho I haven't tracked it down, I think the e-mailer is responsible for mangeling the from, it could be the SMTP server that does this job.

Other extra headers usually starting with "X" have no meaning, unless the e-mail reader is looking for them, and are quitely ignored.

Archived