[Resolved] Problem with Emails from IPB Forum SW

Jeff G.

it would be nice to get these replies in email. Remembering to check this forum is not easy.

25079[/snapback]

You can always click on "Track this topic" above.

Actually, this Forum thing was set up to be "easier for users" ... so many having problems dealing with the NNTP newsgroups. (Though pretty much dormant, the original support spot for this section of the Forum is found at news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.mail )

E-mail list output (and the correspinding e-mail input) from/to this Forum application has quite a bit of discussion ongoing over in the IPB support Forum .. but not something you'd want to hold your breath for. For starters, if you could guarantee that all users wouild only use one -mail application, configured in only one certain way, promised to only use one character set, didn't have a thing for trying to jam HTML crap into their missive, etc., etc., etc. ... and that's just one issue ...

This easier than email? Weird. But then I have been using email in one form or another for 25 years. E-lists have been around for that long too. You should not have to worry about what mua the reader is using, just dump anything but plain text and you should be fine. It makes it even easier that you know everyone is on the same mta.

It just seems odd that a mailbased application would be supported exclusively on a web based forum.

Skip

It just seems odd that a mailbased application would be supported exclusively on a web based forum.

Not as weird when you realize the mail based application is a webmail based application which is used for configuration even if not used by everyone for accessing their messages.

Not as weird when you realize the mail based application is a webmail based application which is used for configuration even if not used by everyone for accessing their messages.

25410[/snapback]

Hey, if you guys find it easier to support this way, so be it.

Getting the notifications helps quite a bit. It would be nice if they had valid dates though.

Thanks,

Skip

It would be nice if they had valid dates though.

Have you checked your controls, Options, Board settings and set your local time zone? Every message I have received has had valid date information. I will check again as I have no current alerts setup, however.

Have you checked your controls, Options, Board settings and set your local time zone?  Every message I have received has had valid date information.  I will check again as I have no current alerts setup, however.

25418[/snapback]

It's not that the date is wrong, it is entirely missing. No date header at all. Here I'll include the full headers from my registration email for reference:

Return-Path: <news[at]spamcop.net>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-skiphuffman[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 28286 invoked from network); 27 Feb 2005 16:42:47 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.103)

by blade6.cesmail.net with QMQP; 27 Feb 2005 16:42:47 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO mx.spamcop.net) (216.154.195.60)

by mailgate2.cesmail.net with SMTP; 27 Feb 2005 16:42:44 -0000

To: skiphuffman[at]spamcop.net

Subject: Registration at SpamCop Discussion

Return-Path: news[at]spamcop.net

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.0 (2004-09-13) on blade6

X-spam-Level:

X-spam-Status: hits=-2.6 tests=ALL_TRUSTED,AWL,MISSING_DATE version=3.0.0

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.103 216.154.195.60

This easier than email?  Weird.  But then I have been using email in one form or another for 25 years.  E-lists have been around for that long too.

Again, the newsgroup had/has an e-mail list mode.

You should not have to worry about what mua the reader is using, just dump anything but plain text and you should be fine. It makes it even easier that you know everyone is on the same mta.

Your original query, my response dealt with an e-mail type listing / output / input of the contents of this Forum application.

Changing "mailbased" to read "web-mail-based" would help to explain the major difference in philosophy.

It's not that the date is wrong, it is entirely missing.  No date header at all.  Here I'll include the full headers from my registration email for reference:

Getting way off-topic here (practice for a Moderator to split this stuff out? <g>)

I can only access things via a Control Panel in this application. The catch is, a lot of the 'stuff' is handled via code not 'seen' via the CP. I can tell you that the codebase for the Registration notification e-mail is not the same bit of code that handles tracking of posts made to a "subscribed" Forum. Your sample doesn't provide anything useful (though I don't recall this being brought up over in the IPB Forum either.)

Per the IPB support Forum, there is a bit of wankiness in this bit of code ... for example, notification of someone posting into your "subscribed Forum/Topic" only occurs if you are off-line at the time. So if you post "here" .. then go off and read "there" .. (thinking that you'll read the responses when you get the e-mail .. it will never happen) ... apparently the decision process was that if you're still on-line, you'd be checking that Subscribed item ...????? End result is that you might have 20 responses to your last post that came in while you were reading "there" .. but if you simply logged off and the pasting craze was over ... you'd not receive any notification ...

And that said, the notification you do receive is only for the "next" post .... again, there may be another dozen postings after that, but the decision process is that you know that there was "a" new post, so naturally you'd see all the others when you checked back in ...

I believe http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=224 is open for public posting (though I'm guessing that free registration is also required to post..??)

I now know why I never noticed this anomoly. When I download to Eudora, there is a date and time, though I can not figure out where it is coming from.

For instance one of the discussion messages is labeled in Eudora as 01:07PM 3/14/2005, yet all of the headers show the same date/time of: 14 Mar 2005 12:36:34 -0000.

Per the IPB support Forum, there is a bit of wankiness in this bit of code ... for example, notification of someone posting into your "subscribed Forum/Topic" only occurs if you are off-line at the time.  So if you post "here" .. then go off and read "there"  .. (thinking that you'll read the responses when you get the e-mail .. it will never happen) ... apparently the decision process was that if you're still on-line, you'd be checking that Subscribed item ...????? End result is that you might have 20 responses to your last post that came in while you were reading "there" .. but if you simply logged off and the pasting craze was over ... you'd not receive any notification ...

Honestly that is not terribly relevent. What I have noticed is that the email notification (The email itself, not the contents) don't have a date and time stamp. This makes the notification go to either the top or bottom of a date sorted list. Rather than being sorted into the list.

Specifically for me, I am using the Spamcop webmail instance. When I recieve a notification of a reply on this forum, the reply pops to the top of my inbox. As a new message sent "today" it should appear at the bottom of the list as the newest message. Or if it had been delayed some time in transit, near the bottom. I copied the headers to show that there is no Date: header at all. RFC822 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html does not require, but strongly suggests that a Date field should included with all emails.

I can forward samples, given an address. Or you can simply turn on notification and check it in webmail for yourself.

I now know why I never noticed this anomoly.  When I download to Eudora, there is a date and time, though I can not figure out where it is coming from.

For instance one of the discussion messages is labeled in Eudora as 01:07PM 3/14/2005, yet all of the headers show the same date/time of: 14 Mar 2005 12:36:34 -0000.

25445[/snapback]

Probably the date and time Eurora picked up the messages.

Have you checked your controls, Options, Board settings and set your local time zone?  Every message I have received has had valid date information.  I will check again as I have no current alerts setup, however.

25418[/snapback]

Yes, I have a correctly set time zone.

Sorry if this is out of order, I have become rather lost in this forum.

I can confirm that the "Date" Header Line is missing from the following types of messages:

• Forum Subscription New Topic Notification
  • You have a new personal message
  • Topic Subscription Reply Notification

Probably the date and time Eurora picked up the messages.

25448[/snapback]

Sorry, nice try. I should have mentioned these were in my spamcop mailbox until about 6:30PM when they were popped.

As far as beings left at the top or bottom of webmail, that is configurable. Options, Display Options, Arrival Time will leave them as they arrive in the Inbox. That is how I have mive sorted. You may have them sorted by Message Date, which in this case does not exist. I do agree that if possible, this should be fixed,but keep in mind, only JT has access to the server and some of the settings.

P.S. As you can see, I finally took Wazoo's hint and split out the off-topic parts of the discussion and moved them here. Any improvements in the title should be directed ot me (that is the worst part of new threads).

I can confirm that the "Date" Header Line is missing from the following types of messages:
  • Forum Subscription New Topic Notification
  • You have a new personal message
  • Topic Subscription Reply Notification

25450[/snapback]

This is a vertical whitespace test/demo. If too much vertical whitespace appears (more than in the original), please consider it a bug.

It appears that SkipHuffman added extra vertical whitespace when quoting me. This product already has plenty of vertical whitespace (especially in its quote, list, and signature handling), I don't see any reason to add more.

Agree with this isuue .. there are a few posters that seem to feel the need to add in numerous CR/LF/Enter Key strokes at the end of their posts, many folks that have only figured out one button to do a Reply with but pay no attention to the massive over-quoting that this includes .... this goes on so often, I've given up trying to PM folks about it ... just part of my daily routine .. while reading through things, I just include a bit of editing as part of that process ...

Those extra ending keystrokes, a simple Edit/Submit removes them. The extra inserted blank lines in the post sometimes is enough to note attention and I'll knock them out. The quote stuff is a case-by-case thing, but if it's one of those that makes little sense to have the entire previous post quoted in the reply (and the reply is the next post after the one being quoted) I'll jump in an knock out the quoted section.

Things like disk space, database size, the extra scrolling needed just to read through the Topic .. just a few of the reasons .... yesterday, I was out of the house for most of the day, so wasn't quite on top of all this extra stuff ... perhaps why you noticed <g>

It appears that SkipHuffman added extra vertical whitespace when quoting me.  This product already has plenty of vertical whitespace (especially in its quote, list, and signature handling), I don't see any reason to add more.

25469[/snapback]

If I did, it was purely unintentional. I will blame my cat.

Please accept my apologies for wasting valuable screen space on blankness.

Archived