spamcop unreliable for reporting sites?

awpresley

It seems as of late spamcop is having difficulties resolving link obfuscation.

It takes multiple reports and crossing of fingers to get spamcop to finally resolve in order to submit the reoprts.

maybe timeout is set to short?

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

IIRC, if the timeouts on the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service's dns queries were any longer, we'd be seeing even more complaints about how long it takes to do slow reporting.

It seems as of late spamcop is having difficulties resolving link obfuscation.

It takes multiple reports and crossing of fingers to get spamcop to finally resolve in order to submit the reoprts.

maybe timeout is set to short?

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

25563[/snapback]

Many spamvertised sites are setup on hacked Zombie computers meaning it takes to long to for spamcop to verify that site is live

You can report these sites yourself a exellent windows tool for this is SpamDeputy

Also checkout the sites on my signature to ensure ones computer is secure

I reported it to the lounge because I was not needing help reporting, I was reporting what I thought was a website bug.

Looking in the Reporting Help, it seemed like the topics included problems with people not knowing how to report to the system, not system problems.

There was no mention of a place for website bugs. The Lounge states "This forum is for discussion of pretty much anything that doesn't quite fit the other specific Help Forum categories, to include rants and raves!"

Seemed pretty obvious to me that's where it should go.

If you want website bugs reported to the reporting help, you might want to add that to the forum description.

so what you are saying (in your reply to the original post) is that if someone wanted to report that site through spamcop, they have to spend up to multiple hours in order to report it by refreshing manually, waisting valuable time, where spamcop could just wait in the background and get back to me when it finds the information?

Sounds lke the spammer wins. :(

It would be great if there was an option during reporting to disable timeouts (wait as long as it takes for the URL to resolve), but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

It would be great if there was an option during reporting to disable timeouts (wait as long as it takes for the URL to resolve), but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

25620[/snapback]

why not base it on the preferences atributed to the user log-in?

Template "A" = short timeout

Template "B" = wait till URL is obfuscated.

Preferences of user account chooses template the same way one choses a theme of a typical forum site. Form and design looks the same on the different templates, but the submit triggers different processes.

Should be pretty simple to achieve.

Then you can offer the users who WANT to see all of the details to set that preference also and see a different results page.

cause as of now, these spammers can get around spamcop with this loophole.

well, it looks like this morning, nothing is getting obfuscated. :(

therefore it doesn't even make sense to me to continue reporting spam. I'm spending to much time trying to get SpamCop to accept the spam and it refuses to do so.

So, thanks for the good run SpamCop.

I'll check back in at a later date

Archived