Webhosts Ip was blocked

HWmag

I know I'm going to sound like a complete dope but any help would be really appreciated.

I have a website and I forward all domain email to my personal address just to keep everything in one place. I noticed that I hadn't received any email from any domain email addresses in days. When I did some tests on sympatico, yahoo and gmail I just got failure messages.

I contacted tech support and they said that there was nothing wrong.

On a hunch this morning I checked out my webhost's IP and it was listed on spamcop. Part of the report said "In the past 7.2 days, it has been listed 4 times for a total of 5.1 days"

The minute it was delisted I was able to forward mail again. Now my question is this: Would their listing on spamcop be the reason I was unable to forward mail?

Once again I know I sound like a dope but my webhost is making me feel like I've dreamt this up just to annoy them and I would like to know if my suspicion is correct before I sound even dumber than I already do.

Many thanks to anyone who was even able to make it through this murky message.

Unfortunately we are not magicians and cannot guess the IP involved. If you give the IP no. someone might be able to do research on its block.

25579[/snapback]

Oh I am terribly sorry, I didn't know if I was to include that or not.The IP that was listed was 64.34.66.70. It was delisted this morning but the causes were: (here is the info that was on the report page.)

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

* SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

* It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

* System administrator has already delisted this system once

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

Listing History

In the past 7.2 days, it has been listed 4 times for a total of 5.1 days.

That's what was on the site and I was just wondering if that would be the reason all my email from this site was bounced.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Some of the actual reported messages:

Submitted: Monday, March 14, 2005 2:26:41 PM -0500:

M1crOs0ft System Alert - January 10th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:08:22 PM -0500:

failure notice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Friday, March 11, 2005 11:35:47 AM -0500:

Re: imvroped Xanax pills

Also, according to: http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ing=64.34.66.70

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 4.7 1240%

Last 30 days 4.6 938%

Average 3.6

That IP is spewing nearly 1000% the number of messages than the current 30 day average. That usually indicated it, or some machine behind that IP is infected with a virus, opening it to abuse from others.

Please send that link to your webhost and ask them to explain it.

I have a website and I forward all  domain email to my personal address just to keep everything in one place. I noticed that I hadn't received any email from any domain email addresses in days. When I did some tests on sympatico, yahoo and gmail I just got failure messages.

Without knowing what these failure messages were, it's kind of hard to guess at a response. You don't exactly explain the "tests" either. If one makes the assumption that you were seeing some kind of rejection message, then the "Why am I Blocked?" Pinned/FAQ entry would be a recommended read.

I contacted tech support and they said that there was nothing wrong.

Not stated .. what/which tech support? Your "personal address" ISP apparently is using the SpamCopDNSBL in a reject mode and this appears to be working just fine. Support at your web-site server may have had some confusion over your web-site IP address and the IP address of an involved e-mail server .. kind of depends on questions asked, answers understood ...????

On a hunch this morning I checked out my webhost's IP and it was listed on spamcop. Part of the report said "In the past 7.2 days, it has been listed 4 times for a total of 5.1 days"

Here again, "webhost's IP" doesn't quite convey the "e-mail server involved IP" ...??

The minute it was delisted I was able to forward mail again. Now my question is this: Would their listing on spamcop be the reason I was unable to forward mail?

Plese see above

* System administrator has already delisted this system once

Not good .. looks like someone tried to take the easy way out, but didn't actually resolve the issues ...

Also, according to: http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ing=64.34.66.70

Volume Statistics for this IP 

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 4.7 1240%

Last 30 days 4.6 938%

Average 3.6 

That IP is spewing nearly 1000% the number of messages than the current 30 day average.  That usually indicated it, or some machine behind that IP is infected with a virus, opening it to abuse from others.

Please send that link to your webhost and ask them to explain it.

There is also the line: "Date of first message seen from this address 2005-03-07" so the initial response could be that users/customers are being transitioned to this server .. though that doesn't excuse the sample spam items .....

Archived