email-abuse@amazon.com - is this spam

MIG

6 hours ago, petzl said:

fake bounce to you spammer has you as return address?

Hey Petzl,

Bc, this one has me flumoxed, can you see that from the data (I can't) or is "fake bounce" a theory?

🙏G🦗H

11 hours ago, MIG said:

Hey Petzl,

Bc, this one has me flumoxed, can you see that from the data (I can't) or is "fake bounce" a theory?

🙏G🦗H

Doesn't pass the test as a mail server and history of IP shows two reported fake bounces and a fair  bit of spam over 90 days

Edited by petzl

22 hours ago, MIG said:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6553438559z3bce578c31b64b0feee590952682dcb9z

Can't work this out, have not escalated any spam queries to email-abuse@amazon.com, is it legit or is it spam? 

🙏G🦗H

1/2 way agree wit Petzl 😉

1. fake bounce: no, it's a real bounce
  2. spammer has you as return address: yes. That's why you're receiving the bounce 😞

The address that the spammer sent the spam to, is invalid (either never existed or got removed from usage) and since your address was the return address (From:) ...

another reason to hate spammers...

but no point in submitting that one, as the owner is legit... they just replied to you to let you know that "your" mail couldn't be delivered...

that's another reason why spamcop goes after the Received: headers and not the From: email addresses 😉

1 hour ago, RobiBue said:

1/2 way agree wit Petzl 😉

1. fake bounce: no, it's a real bounce
  2. spammer has you as return address: yes. That's why you're receiving the bounce 😞

The address that the spammer sent the spam to, is invalid (either never existed or got removed from usage) and since your address was the return address (From:) ...

another reason to hate spammers...

but no point in submitting that one, as the owner is legit... they just replied to you to let you know that "your" mail couldn't be delivered...

that's another reason why spamcop goes after the Received: headers and not the From: email addresses 😉

found it but it's still spam using a email account
a8-31.smtp-out.amazonses.com

Sounds a bit like  "backscatter" where a provider has the "wrong" email address to use when sending out a bounce or other form of non-delivery report. Some see it as spam, some don't. Unfortunately there's often no easy  and reliable way for a provider to determine from the email headers if the return address is legit without the risk of annoying and/or inconveniencing innocent bystanders.

Edited by lisati

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:08 PM, lisati said:

Sounds a bit like  "backscatter" where a provider has the "wrong" email address to use when sending out a bounce or other form of non-delivery report.

MIG,

This is one that does nearly sound legitimate and had me going for about 10 days now, but I think I have cracked it.  It appears that the bounce should be coming from 162.255.118.61 or 162.255.118.62 and not 54.240.8.31.  The MX record for client76701.host appears to be namecheap.com, not amazon.  The more I look at this, the more I think backscatter