spam via VPN

RobiBue

Now that's a new one to me!

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6558965774z4e9bfbe926ede8ccf1c336a6fb42d396z

I wasn't thinking much about it when I sent the report, but today I received the following reply from NordVPN abuse desk:

Thank you for informing us about possible violation of laws related to activities of one of our services' users. We take serious matter of the illegal actions and/ or crimes committed by abusively using our services.
NordVPN is a VPN service provider and offers shared IP addresses to its users.
Unfortunately, in this specific case we are not able to assist as it’s impossible for us to locate which user on the server is actually responsible for the violation, since we do not log user's activity or IP address.
Therefore we can not identify the user on the basis of this inquiry notice.
More about our Privacy policy (https://nordvpn.com/privacy-policy/).
Please don't hesitate to let us know should we be able to assist with something else.

well, internet privacy vs internet privacy.

ain't that swell...

Edited by RobiBue

It does depend on the VPN/PIA provider.  The service I use has contacted me a couple of times because of the level of activity between me and spamcop.net

On the other hand I am amused by the adds/weather from Huston or Washington DC depending where I connect.

When I first signed on, there was lots of discussion between us about them not tolerating any activity by me that took advantage of being hidden. Privacy was a different issue.

6 hours ago, Lking said:

It does depend on the VPN/PIA provider.  The service I use has contacted me a couple of times because of the level of activity between me and spamcop.net

On the other hand I am amused by the adds/weather from Huston or Washington DC depending where I connect.

When I first signed on, there was lots of discussion between us about them not tolerating any activity by me that took advantage of being hidden. Privacy was a different issue.

A lot of VPN problems are due to compromised accounts.
Seems there are a lot who won't run a Virus/Malware program
I use two, Windows defender and SpyHunter
Both can be a pain to set-up properly and they are always "updating", requiring watching!

Edited by petzl

1 hour ago, petzl said:

problems are due to compromised accounts.
Seems there are a lot who won't run a Virus/Malware program

Same old problem with/without VPN. "Its just an email for aunt Mable"

On 7/13/2019 at 2:45 PM, Lking said:

Same old problem with/without VPN. "Its just an email for aunt Mable"

By not running a  Virus/Malware program there is no way of knowing when/if your computer has been compromised
This is also now "smart TV", "smart phone". smart fridge and so-on