Slow response from SC

Lking

They "know" that only MS-Windows, only IE6 and only OE6 are good for me. (Anything else is "unsupported" by their services.)

27562[/snapback]

Can you run the same tests with MS-Windows and OE6, and/or another SMTP Server from Jeff G.'s Hotspot SMTP-Auth Provider Status Report? Thanks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deputies (at) spamcop.net or deputies (at) admin.spamcop.net ?

(I'll send to both.)

27564[/snapback]

Given your mail problems, I'd say both, with the headers and body in the body of your email.

Given your mail problems, I'd say both, with the headers and body in the body of your email.

27566[/snapback]

Hm, I sent it as attachment just before seeing this. If after a few hours it hasn't been answered, or if after "a reasonable time" (in minutes) it hasn't been received and you (or someone) tell me so, I'll send it again, pasted into the body.

Deputies (at) spamcop.net or deputies (at) admin.spamcop.net ?

(I'll send to both.

They 'map' to the same e-mail InBox ... One is sufficient.

Reading next post a bit later ... not sure I'd go with the 'attachment' scenario to them .. just an opinion

Can you run the same tests with MS-Windows and OE6, and/or another SMTP Server from Jeff G.'s Hotspot SMTP-Auth Provider Status Report?  Thanks!

27565[/snapback]

I am on Windows XP Home "Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (Service Pack 2)". Using OE6 is problematic since it would try to read and delete my POP mail and I like to keep all my mail in one place. I'll try to subscribe to one of the SMTP servers you list. It shouldn't then be hard to configure Thunderbird for it.

OE6 | Tools | Accounts | (select one) | Properties | Advanced |

check the "leave a copy of message on server" box

The other boxes, your call

Apply

27570[/snapback]

Yes, except to do that I must already have started up OE6, and it is set to "read messages at startup" and "don't leave copy on server".

Yes, except to do that I must already have started up OE6, and it is set to "read messages at startup" and "don't leave copy on server".

27572[/snapback]

Disconnect from the internet so it can't get there, modify the settings then re-connect

Can you run the same tests with MS-Windows and OE6, and/or another SMTP Server from Jeff G.'s Hotspot SMTP-Auth Provider Status Report?  Thanks!

27565[/snapback]

I am on Windows XP Home "Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (Service Pack 2)". Using OE6 is problematic since it would try to read and delete my POP mail and I like to keep all my mail in one place. I'll try to subscribe to one of the SMTP servers you list. It shouldn't then be hard to configure Thunderbird for it.

27569[/snapback]

I just subscribed as yahoo.co.uk]a_j_mechelynck[at]yahoo.co.uk. I can read email from there by POP but I haven't yet succeeded to send by SMTP. It needs SMTP authentication. Currently it is set to:

Outgoing server: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Port: 25

[x] Use name and password

Name: a_j_mechelynck

Use secure connection: (_)No (*)TLS if available (_)TLS (_)SSL

If I don't succeed I might try Steve's suggestion to use OE6, possibly after a good night's sleep (it is 2:42 my time already).

Use secure connection: (_)No (*)TLS if available (_)TLS (_)SSL

27574[/snapback]

You shouldn't need TLS or SSL, basic authentication works for me with smtp.mail.yahoo.com, although you may have different results with smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk on your side of the pond.

You shouldn't need TLS or SSL, basic authentication works for me with smtp.mail.yahoo.com, although you may have different results with smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk on your side of the pond.

27577[/snapback]

I tried it (Secure connection: No), but it didn't work (same symptoms: after a timeout, I get an error popup). I've sent Yahoo a support request about it, got an auto-reply, responded to it, let's see what their "humans" will say...

Tanks anyway.

Following a tip in Yahoo's response, I tried a little experiment:

C:\>telnet smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk 25

Connecting to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk... Cannot establish connection with host, on port 25: Connection failed.

IIUC, my ISP is blocking outgoing connections to third parties on the default SMTP port.

IIUC, my ISP is blocking outgoing connections to third parties on the default SMTP port.

Proably so...lots of ISPs are doing that now, in order to help stem the flow of uncontrolled junk from infected/zombied computers.

DT

Bumping this topic to ask what peoples response time has been today? I have been busy all morning so did not report the overnight spam until this afternoon, but I still have not gotten any emails back and there is no link on the reporting page. I have tried this from 2 different mail accounts (webmail and work) to 2 different reporting accounts (paid and free). I can see the messages leave my work server.

05/09/2005 02:55:39 PM  Router: [00000003] Transferring mail to domain spam.SPAMCOP.NET (host vmx2.SPAMCOP.NET [64.74.133.250]) via SMTP

05/09/2005 02:55:40 PM  Router: Transferred 1 messages to spam.SPAMCOP.NET (host vmx2.SPAMCOP.NET) via SMTP

The next bump being that I haven't seen any evidence of A.J. doing anything with the GMail invite which would get around the Port 25 blocking .... Jeff G. says he's talked to JT recently. Both Horde/IMP have had recent patches released, this Forum has had some patches released, the possibility is that Jeff T. is banging on keyboards, making his side of the system work a but ... Julian/IronPort's side of the house ...??? http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamstats shows a bit of heavier breathing ..???

Bumping this topic to ask what peoples response time has been today?  I have been busy all morning so did not report the overnight spam until this afternoon, but I still have not gotten any emails back and there is no link on the reporting page.

<snip>

27822[/snapback]

...It's been slow but I am getting responses back and links on the web page. Just having to be very patient! :) <g>

...It's been slow but I am getting responses back and links on the web page.  Just having to be very patient!  :) <g>

27825[/snapback]

I did get my replies shortly after my post (needed to get some work done as well) and were received about 90 minutes after submission.

• 4 weeks later...

I traced my problems to my ISP:

• Since (IIRC) May 2, any outgoing emails which "appear to contain spam", even in an attachment, are silently dropped into the bit bin. This means I cannot submit by email to SC anymore.
  • Connections on port 25 are disabled, except to my own ISP's outgoing-mail servers. Therefore I cannot establish any connection with smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Archived