Gmail's server blocked

PROGAME

I couldn't believe my eyes. Would a filtering organization actually blacklist the most important webmail provider in past years? Would a store operator actually use something as damaging and crude as a blacklist if their business relies on customer communication? It seems so.

Was this in error? I can't see any other explanation, but maybe someone could enlighten me?

35810[/snapback]

foobar's post was moved from the Reportng Help Forum section to the Blocking List Forum .. and then "Merged" into the existing Topic/Discussion on the same subject ..... PM sent to advise of this Moderation action.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
foobar's post was moved from the Reportng Help Forum section to the Blocking List Forum .. and then "Merged" into the existing Topic/Discussion on the same subject ..... PM sent to advise of this Moderation action.

35811[/snapback]

Sorry about the incorrect forum selection, the entire board layout is very counterintuitive. I am still amazed that gmail is blocked, having read this thread.

Sorry about the incorrect forum selection, the entire board layout is very counterintuitive.

I'll sure ask you to explain that remark, but .... please start a new Topic in the Lounge for this one .... forget that, I'm going to .... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5356

I am still amazed that gmail is blocked, having read this thread.

35813[/snapback]

And this one, I don't follow either. GMail folks have not bothered to solve the problem with their header constructs ... how can that be made any clearer?

Hello. I own a URL hosted through freeparking.co.uk and am attempting to use it's mailservice. Any mail forwarded to it's email addresses from a Gmail account is being blocked by Spamcop. It has taken me all week with freeparking to work out exactly where the intervention is coming from (Spamcop) and I don't use Spamcop and do not want to use Spamcop. So why is it blocking my messages??

I want to know that my mail gets to it's destination, I am not a spammer and I have a business to run.

I have looked through the FAQ so don't get annoyed at me for asking for help. I get to the page on the FAQ that offers help for this issue, click the link and the page doesn't load. So there is no answer there for me, I have been trying all morning.

Please someone email me or reply to this message with how to get my IP address off your block list. I do not want to be treated like a spammer and I do not want this enormous hassle of having no mail for a week and having to deactivate a service I never requested.

Please someone email me or reply to this message with how to get my IP address off your block list.  I do not want to be treated like a spammer and I do not want this enormous hassle of having no mail for a week and having to deactivate a service I never requested.

35904[/snapback]

Yet another one comes here with a rant having failed to read the FAQ

Spamcop blocks nothing, never has, can't, never will.

Read the FAQ and come back with anything you don't understand.

We need the IP address of the server you think may be listed: post a rejection message or the IP please.

Yet another one comes here with a rant having failed to read the FAQ

Spamcop blocks nothing, never has, can't, never will.

Read the FAQ and come back with anything you don't understand.

We need the IP address of the server you think may be listed: post a rejection message or the IP please.

35906[/snapback]

Er...actually, I did read the FAQ - you failed to read my post. I read the FAQ and tried to follow the links to my problem and the pages won't load.

The IP addresses so far this morning are:

64.233.182.203 and

If I send mail to the forwarding address from Gmail, the first attempt is treated as spam and then no further mail is delivered. If I send it from Hotmail it is fine. If I send it from Airpost.net it is fine.

Thanks for the info. I have run AdAware on my computer and a scan disk in case there is a chance my machine is being used by spammers. I doubt this is the case though as iit is only anything that ends in Gmail that is being treated as spam by Spamcop. Airpost.net and Hotmail are getting through OK.

Since you appear to have a problem seeing or understanding my request, I will repeat it here:

Please ... post a full copy of the error email message (you may munge personal details like the left sides of your email address and the email address of the person you are trying to email).  Thanks!

35872[/snapback]

Since you appear to have a problem seeing or understanding my request, I will repeat it here:

35910[/snapback]

Oh, I have a problem alright...

[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from eleanorrigby 13.19 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.249.82.206

[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from neverwasadoor 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from gmail 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

Er...actually, I did read the FAQ - you failed to read my post.  I read the FAQ and tried to follow the links to my problem and the pages won't load.

35908[/snapback]

Sorry, but if you HAD read the FAQ, and there are a number of links to it from this board that work just fine, you would know that:

1. SpamCop blocks nothing, it is simply a list of servers currently spewing spam. It is the receiving ISP that has chosen to use the list to block your mail from coming in. SpamCop does not recommend using its list in this way, and does not use it this way itself. BUT it costs ISPs to receive spam and it's their call what they choose to refuse.

2. SpamCop doesn't give a sh*t about what an address ends in, it doesn't work on addresses but IPs.

From time to time Gmail servers are listed for a period, mostly because they refuse to fix a basic problem in their servers' configuration. They are well aware of the problem, which, if you'd followed the link given to you in a previous answer you'd also know.

There is nothing about your problem that isn't covered at length on this board.

Sorry, but if you HAD read the FAQ, and there are a number of links to it from this board that work just fine, you would know that:

1. SpamCop blocks nothing, it is simply a list of servers currently spewing spam. It is the receiving ISP that has chosen to use the list to block your mail from coming in. SpamCop does not recommend using its list in this way, and does not use it this way itself. BUT it costs ISPs to receive spam and it's their call what they choose to refuse.

2. SpamCop doesn't give a sh*t about what an address ends in, it doesn't work on addresses but IPs.

From time to time Gmail servers are listed for a period, mostly because they refuse to fix a basic problem in their servers' configuration. They are well aware of the problem, which, if you'd followed the link given to you in a previous answer you'd also know.

There is nothing about your problem that isn't covered at length on this board.

35914[/snapback]

I didn't read the appropriate part of the FAQ because the pages wouldn't load which is why I posted here.

Mine is the recieving URL and I do not use SpamCop. Does this mean that Freeparking.Co.UK (who host my URL) do use SpamCop? I have spoken to them about it and they have not told me that they are SpamCop customers, just told me to take any issues up with you.

The same ISP sends all mail from this computer and it is repeatedly the Gmail mail that is treated as spam. Maybe it has been listed for a period for not fixing a basic problem, I don't know but I should be able to send my mail without it being treated as spam.

I did follow the link in the previous answer and I do know that Gmail are aware of the problem.

I own a URL hosted through freeparking.co.uk and am attempting to use it's mailservice.  Any mail forwarded to it's email addresses from a Gmail account is being blocked by Spamcop.  It has taken me all week with freeparking to work out exactly where the intervention is coming from (Spamcop) and I don't use Spamcop and do not want to use Spamcop.  So why is it blocking my messages??

35904[/snapback]

As I understand the description of your problem, your complaint is that messages addressed to your domain held at freeparking.co.uk fail to arrive when they originate from googlemail.

If my reading of your description is correct then the cause is that freeparking is using the SpamCop blocklist to reject Emails.

Many ISPs use this appraoch to reduce the amount of spam they receive. That Freeparking isn't aware that they use the SpmCop bl in this way is an issue you'll need to raise with them.

Gmail servers have a problem as described by others elsewhere but you would need to have freeparking implement the blocklist in a less aggressive manner.

Andrew

Edit note: this post was started before Andrew's much better post actually got posted, since it states things slightly differently I decided not to delete it, but must admit that Andrew did a much better job of answering the question. Thankyou Andrew.

There may have been a problems with some pages loading due to the SpamCop servers being down this morning. All pages on the forum server continued to work fine.

But more to the point is that I still get the feeling that you do not understand what is trying to be said.

Anyone using GMail will have problems will some users blocking mail coming from GMail servers due to that fact that they get listed often in the SpamCop BL.

It is not you who gets blocked, it is the GMail server that you are using that gets blocked.

I hope that this is a bit easier to understand.

As I understand the description of your problem, your complaint is that messages addressed to your domain held at freeparking.co.uk fail to arrive when they originate from googlemail.

If my reading of your description is correct then the cause is that freeparking is using the SpamCop blocklist to reject Emails.

Many ISPs use this appraoch to reduce the amount of spam they receive.  That Freeparking isn't aware that they use the SpmCop bl in this way is an issue you'll need to raise with them.

Gmail servers have a problem as described by others elsewhere but you would need to have freeparking implement the blocklist in a less aggressive manner.

35919[/snapback]

Thank you, that is exactly the problem. My problem is that I seem to be annoying everyone by just trying to get my mail 'cleaned' so I can send it without being treated as a spammer. When I took it up with Freeparking last week, this is what I recieved from 'Max' in their support:

"We ask that you do not raise support requests to freeparking on this

issue - we would only refer you to the blocking list maintainer."

I guess my only option is to stop using Gmail - this is a problem in itself as it's my main email account and I've been using it for a couple of years.

Thanks again for your time. :)

Which part of "full copy of the error email message" did you not understand? We Gmail users need to see the headers and body of the error email messages so that we can apply appropriate pressure to Gmail.

I have merged the info above from today's Spamcop is blocking my mail Topic and PMd julie678.

You may have one other option and that is to have the people you are sending mail to, whitelist your address so that it does not get blocked by their ISP.

35923[/snapback]

The thing about this is that mine is the recieving URL - the fact that is is hosted by Freeparking means they are using SpamCop without my consent. I just want all mail sent to my URL to get through to me and for me to chose what is spam and what is not.

[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from eleanorrigby 13.19 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.249.82.206

35912[/snapback]

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 2 hours.
[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from neverwasadoor 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

[*SUSPECTED spam*] test from gmail 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

35912[/snapback]

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 0 hours.

You may also want to consider moving your URL hosted through freeparking.co.uk to a different host that does not block mail using the SpamCop BL.

The SpamCop BL was created to be used as a filtering list, not a blocking list. Unfortunately, some ISP's have chosen to use it as a blocking list (which is their right) but causes problems for their users (like you) and for us here trying to explain to their users (like you) why they are having problems with mail being blocked.

You may not be a spammer yourself, but you have become a "spammer" by association by choosing to use a mailserver that permits spammers to make use of it. Sorry about the association, but it was your choice, despite the fact that you (and nearly everyone else) was/is totally unaware of it at the time.

Edit, since you last post was not posted when I started this reply, I will add that the association is actually one of you choosing not to accept mail from those you choice to use a mailserve that is also used by Spammers.

You are right, they are blocking your mail without your consent, but unfortunatlly, they have your implied consent by agreeing to use their services under their terms.

Which part of "full copy of the error email message" did you not understand?  We Gmail users need to see the

headers and body of the error email messages so that we can apply

appropriate pressure to Gmail.

I have merged the info above from today's Spamcop is blocking my mail Topic and PMd julie678.

35922[/snapback]

If you had said 'full copy of the error message including headers' then I would understand that you wanted the headers too. I am not a mind-reader Jeff.

There was no body in my mail, it was a test from my Gmail account to my URL forwarding account. The mail service has been playing up and in addition to that, I have been receiving all tests back with spam messages in the header. I will attach the header and title of each of the 3 mails returned this morning:

===========================================

Message 1 Header:

X-Gmail-Received: d0b38458a646f5333b88129427a92a746712c235

Delivered-To: scribble[at]gmail.com

Received: by 10.48.1.7 with SMTP id 7cs5097nfa;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:58 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.65.159.9 with SMTP id l9mr3617564qbo;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:57 -0800 (PST)

Return-Path: <scribble[at]gmail.com>

Received: from mailforward.freeparking.co.uk ([72.1.201.140])

by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id q13si473254qbq.2005.11.12.05.17.56;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:57 -0800 (PST)

Received-SPF: neutral (gmail.com: 72.1.201.140 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of scribble[at]gmail.com)

DomainKey-Status: bad (test mode)

Received: from [64.233.182.203] (helo=nproxy.gmail.com)

by mailforward.freeparking.co.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.52 #3 (Debian))

id 1EavGW-0007hb-0u

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:17:56 -0500

Received: by nproxy.gmail.com with SMTP id p46so188166nfa

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:54 -0800 (PST)

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;

b=c7cZBj5+7+MZWzWM1GU+sw/sBgQ1d/JtTj49YnYo+ement1AI0Jdmr0UFzmr

LezmxDPt+DzqYE8pxH91h8zHM2+ZEDbfFJuRsZErdl+wOpgzOA4/fZSKGxDl/ch

diokem60ZsZuOyLkRiY/DGQkbU3R9FPgepSYxQi+Rk2aswk4=

Received: by 10.48.239.2 with SMTP id m2mr156676nfh;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:54 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.48.1.7 with HTTP; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:17:54 -0800 (PST)

Message-ID: <489f74b10511120517i52c093efu479d69ab796fcee8[at]mail.gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:17:54 +0000

To: test[at]dictatablog.com

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Content-Disposition: inline

X-Antivirus-Scanner-Outbound: Clean mail though you should still use an Antivirus

X-ACL-Warn: host is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

Subject: [*SUSPECTED spam*] test from gmail 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

Title: [*SUSPECTED spam*] test from gmail 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

========================================

Message 2 Header:

X-Gmail-Received: 24879e1e4bc2fcce45a17c34c96038f98030b34e

Received: by 10.48.1.7 with SMTP id 7cs5101nfa;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:18:31 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.64.193.9 with SMTP id q9mr690429qbf;

Return-Path: <neverwasadoor[at]googlemail.com>

by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id e19si469216qbe.2005.11.12.05.18.30;

Received-SPF: neutral (gmail.com: 72.1.201.140 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of neverwasadoor[at]googlemail.com)

Received: from [64.233.182.203] (helo=nproxy.gmail.com)

id 1EavH3-0007yN-Vr

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:18:30 -0500

Received: by nproxy.gmail.com with SMTP id g2so221225nfe

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:18:29 -0800 (PST)

s=beta; d=googlemail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type;

b=EcKzNIjzzUhn/sK1redsEfi2WmCiFTMB4PR22gZQ+0S0/hVas7vKs5pER9Kt5

gvLgWe4GLnT5+pwuQgfdl6kEkKMCkfsSZihPOAkVZjqAYzUnhHgPe8zRqvfvW

PiGeerrhJypD767ydu5exGqKQrVqfAgwZiFmJM5ughZAN367M=

Received: by 10.48.229.10 with SMTP id b10mr166194nfh;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:18:29 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.48.234.1 with HTTP; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:18:29 -0800 (PST)

Message-ID: <bf253b310511120518j4f44d71eyed66893cdfc292eb[at]mail.gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:18:29 +0000

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_Part_4106_22816869.1131801509135"

X-Antivirus-Scanner-Outbound: Clean mail though you should still use an Antivirus

X-ACL-Warn: host is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

Subject: [*SUSPECTED spam*] test from neverwasadoor 13.18 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.233.182.203

------=_Part_4106_22816869.1131801509135

------=_Part_4106_22816869.1131801509135

Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

<br>

------=_Part_4106_22816869.1131801509135--

Title:

=========================================

Message 3 Header:

X-Gmail-Received: a32e008d4d8629845bfef274a303596cb44ba80a

Received: by 10.48.1.7 with SMTP id 7cs5108nfa;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:19:21 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.64.10.8 with SMTP id 8mr3590905qbj;

Return-Path: <eleanor.rigby[at]gmail.com>

by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id z21si482564qbc.2005.11.12.05.19.20;

Received-SPF: neutral (gmail.com: 72.1.201.140 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of eleanor.rigby[at]gmail.com)

Received: from [66.249.82.206] (helo=xproxy.gmail.com)

id 1EavHr-00083e-Iu

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:19:19 -0500

Received: by xproxy.gmail.com with SMTP id t14so419964wxc

for <test[at]dictatablog.com>; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:19:17 -0800 (PST)

s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;

b=nyN0B08gHn7cHKXxjt3HRpgaiTQRDkwkslWl/vVLFaSuw/LG5VP2vwm8SduT

3j7EoqnZVJEHRC82CfSm4j5oL/XooKGn37U8KYnWUVEuZ7mrlLZtVS0/CNJLi

WA3DneYJpu7QlnB/RIaFwp7dMcMLJjWOWo+6nJevPME1RC/1Q4=

Received: by 10.70.40.3 with SMTP id n3mr49746wxn;

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:19:17 -0800 (PST)

Received: by 10.70.22.17 with HTTP; Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:19:16 -0800 (PST)

Message-ID: <7aae29180511120519p5aee0211r[at]mail.gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:19:17 +0000

X-ACL-Warn: host is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.249.82.206

Subject: [*SUSPECTED spam*] test from eleanorrigby 13.19 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.249.82.206

Title: [*SUSPECTED spam*] test from eleanorrigby 13.19 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.249.82.206

==============================

I hope this helps. The irony of all of this is that everything I have received from SpacCop today has been sent to my Gmail spam folder.

Moderator edit: Long lines starting with "b=xxx" were 'touched' to resolve a display issue. Actual 'sample' posted had thee lines as one continous long string and this app stretched thngs out best it could .. inserted a couple of "returns"

The thing about this is that mine is the recieving URL - the fact that is is hosted by Freeparking means they are using SpamCop without my consent.  I just want all mail sent to my URL to get through to me and for me to chose what is spam and what is not.

35924[/snapback]

That strikes me as an Unfair Trade Practice. You may want to vote with your purse or contact New Scotland Yard.

Also, please note that Gmail has a mandatory policy of siphoning off what they think is spam to your spam folder.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the details you posted. Here's what I've gotten so far:

Your name is Julie Davis and maybe also Julie G.

You have the following accounts:

1. scribble[at]gmail.com - Received all tests; sent the first test
  2. dictatablog.com - A domain you have parked for free with ActiveBytes Software LLC's freeparking.co.uk
  3. test[at]dictatablog.com - An address at #2 above that forwards to #1 above
  4. neverwasadoor[at]googlemail.com - Sent the second test
  5. eleanor.rigby[at]gmail.com - Sent the third test

Based on the above, it APPEARS that the messages are getting through to test[at]dictatablog.com (and therefore to scribble[at]gmail.com), but are just marked as "[*SUSPECTED spam*] Original Subject 13.1n Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?IP Address."

Please confirm. Thanks!

Edit: 2006/03/03 13:38 Jeff G. munged some data per Julie's request.

Archived