MyDoom from probable spammer

AlphaCentauri

I'd been notifying the administrators of ISP's where I was getting copies of MyDoom in order to let them know to disinfect their machines.

Now I'm getting copies from someone in the Phillipines, and the only reason I can think for someone there to have my address in his address book is that he has been spamming me. So I'm not going to extend the courtesy of a notification.

But it would be nice if there were some mechanism for the IP to be added to the spamcop blacklist, since I can't report the virus message, but there will be lots of messages coming from this machine to everyone he's been spamming.

Now I'm getting copies from someone in the Phillipines, and the only reason I can think for someone there to have my address in his address book is that he has been spamming me.

Not that this is the problem in this case, but most of the recent viruses pull addresses from anywhere they can find them, not only address books. I have been receiving virus attempts to my webmaster address which is only posted as the author of the web site and which receives very little spam. I have been receiving virus attempts to addresses inside of .pdf and .doc files linked to from our website. These addresses are in files on the infected machines either as the direct file (pdf, doc) or in the cache of the web brower.

If your email address is on a spam list and it is used as a cc in a spam, then it could very well go to someone that you have no connection with and if he gets the virus, then your email address could be picked up.

Miss Manners says that it is never permissible to be rude to someone who is rude. Even if it is a spammer, the ISP may be interested and able to do something. I have reported viruses to China and they stop.

Miss Betsy

Yes, I have received actual human responses from admins in China too, with the same result.

Archived