[Resolved] Forwarding

ivarley

I could use some help understanding something. I've got an email address (at a domain name I own) that forwards mail along to my spamcop address, which in turn forwards the non-spam along to my real address. Works fine, mostly.

Today, though, I got a message from the upper-level supoort at my web hosting company (Globat.com) saying that they'd been fingered for a spam I reported last weekend. I looked at the headers they forwarded, and I do see several Globat.com domains listed ... but for all I know, that's just because it passed through globat.com en route to spamcop.

My question: if they're (legitimately) in the chain of how the email got to me, would they normally be reported? If so, how do I prevent any of my spam reports from hitting friendly ISPs like them? Is there something they (or I) should do? Or should this not even be happening?

Ian

ivarley[at]spamcop.net

Without a Tracking URL, it's mostly guesses and games trying to analyze the specific issue. One could start with the question ... have you configured your reporting account to use the MailHost configuration? One of the secondary results of that section of code was the assistance provided to help prevent self-reporting. It may have something to do with e-mail server configuration, it may have something to do with e-mail handling, it may have something to do with the way the spam is reported, ....????

The next question would deal with just how you are reporting your spam. The rules and guidelines are thet 'you' are responsible for which reports go out and where they go, thus in most reporting scenarios, you are offered a list of reports/targets to verify, and then the last chance decision point, you then have to hut the Send button. However, Quick-Reporting removes some of these safeguards (and is usually recommended aginst using by a number of other folks).

Again, without something to look at (and even then, the bad results may have been due to something transitory, such as ARIN being not available ...) ther'e nothing concrete that can be pointed to from this side of the screen.

Without a Tracking URL, it's mostly guesses and games trying to analyze the specific issue. 

Sorry ... here you go:

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=gettrac...rtid=1410655756

Any conclusions about the nature of Globat in this exchange?

One could start with the question ... have you configured your reporting account to use the MailHost configuration? 

No - just saw that page on my account and while it looks a little daunting, I'll try to set that up.

The next question woulf deal with just how you are reporting your spam.  The rules and guidelines are thet 'you' are responsible for which reports go out and where they go, thus in most reporting scenarios, you are offered a list of reports/targets to verify, and then the last chance decision point, you then have to hut the Send button.  However, Quick-Reporting removes some of these safeguards (and is usually recommended aginst using by a number of other folks).

I know, it's not recommended. But ... I get so much spam, it takes me hours to look at them one by one. Is it better for me to report them quick or not at all? Cuz those are my choices, realistically.

<snip>
The next question would deal with just how you are reporting your spam.  The rules and guidelines are thet 'you' are responsible for which reports go out and where they go, thus in most reporting scenarios, you are offered a list of reports/targets to verify, and then the last chance decision point, you then have to hut the Send button.  However, Quick-Reporting removes some of these safeguards (and is usually recommended aginst using by a number of other folks).
I know, it's not recommended. But ... I get so much spam, it takes me hours to look at them one by one. Is it better for me to report them quick or not at all? Cuz those are my choices, realistically.

27108[/snapback]

...Absolutely no doubt, it's better to just report what you have time to review thoroughly. Quality is far more important than quality! We appreciate any little bit of reporting you can do! :) <g>

A quick look at the original question, Receives mail at "A" which forwards it to SpamCop account which then forewards it to "C", AND domain "A" is getting reported. It sounds like the problem MailHosts was designed to help.

Have you gone through the MailHosts reg process? If I read the FAQ corretly that should eleminate all of you mail domain names from the reporting generated from the email header. That should make it less dangerous for you to process spam with out taking the time to look at where reports are going (ref all the other threads about false reporting <_< )

A quick look at the original question, Receives mail at "A" which forwards it to SpamCop account which then forewards it to "C", AND domain "A" is getting reported. It sounds like the problem MailHosts was designed to help.

Have you gone through the MailHosts reg process?

27111[/snapback]

...An excellent question. However, you appear to have missed this exchange:
One could start with the question ... have you configured your reporting account to use the MailHost configuration?
No - just saw that page on my account and while it looks a little daunting, I'll try to set that up.

27108[/snapback]

If I read the FAQ corretly that should eleminate all of you mail domain names from the reporting generated from the email header.  That should make it less dangerous for you to process spam with out taking the time to look at where reports are going (ref all the other threads about false reporting  <_< )

27111[/snapback]

...Caution: I believe a careful reading of Lking's statement, here, is not inconsistent with the following but may not be obvious: for some e-mail providers (such as my employer), the inbound path may be different for different e-mails, so sending just one spam through the Mailhosts process will not necessarily eliminate all danger of reporting your own service provider! Therefore, it is still advisable to carefully review all of the addresses to which SpamCop offers to send its reports even after you've run through the Mailhosts process!

ivarley , what you provided is a Report-ID number. As a free-reporting account holder, I can't do a thing with it. (The core of the parsing/reporting stuff sits in California, Julian (programmer) sits up in Washington State, this Forum runs on hardware in Georgia, I'm a retired U.S.Army guy in Iowa with too much time on his hands - volunteering some of that time to help out here.) Thanks for the try, but I don't have access to use that particular date item, sorry.

The basic guidance on setting up the MailHost configuration (in another Forum by the way) is to run through the process, run a few parses (preferably through the web-form paste-it-in-the-box with full details turned on) and check that the results are good. When happy, then turn on the Quick-Reporting option and match on, with the caveat that "stuff happens" and that possible glitches still await. Again, this configuration minimzes the chances of self-reporting, but like any tool, "stuff happens" ...

...An excellent question.  However, you appear to have missed this exchange:No - just saw that page on my account and while it looks a little daunting, I'll try to set that up.

27108[/snapback]

:rolleyes: with ever thing else I can add ADD to the list of things wrong here.

...Caution: I believe a careful reading of Lking's statement, here, is not inconsistent with the following but may not be obvious: for some e-mail providers (such as my employer), the inbound path may be different for different e-mails, so sending just one spam through the Mailhosts process will not necessarily eliminate all danger of reporting your own service provider!  Therefore, it is still advisable to carefully review all of the addresses to which SpamCop offers to send its reports even after you've run through the Mailhosts process!

27112[/snapback]

yes one should always check. I was trying to be gentle for a change.

Noted that the original poster also popped the query in over in the spamcop newsgroup ( news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop ) prior to finding the path to here. 

27123[/snapback]

Right, sorry for the cross post ... I'd much rather be using web forums.

Sorry that I don't have the tracking URL. Is there a way I can get back to that from the info I do have (the URL I posted above)? Alternately, would it be helpful to post the headers here?

I'm going to go through the mailhost setup presently, so hopefully that fixes it. Is there then any way for me to back out or undo any reports I've made against my own ISP? I want to take all possible steps to friendly-ize them and remove any damage I've done.

Also, re: quick reporting, let me offer some constructive feedback, after being yelled at on the newsgroup. Coming from the point of view of a casual user, if there's a feature that you shouldn't use, it shouldn't be available for you to use. If it's bad to use quick reporting, why do they offer it?

Right, sorry for the cross post ... I'd much rather be using web forums.

27145[/snapback]

...IMHO, you have nothing to apologize for -- to a large degree, different folks frequent the newsgroups as opposed to these fora, so, in this case, cross-posting was not inappropriate.
<snip>

Is there then any way for me to back out or undo any reports I've made against my own ISP? I want to take all possible steps to friendly-ize them and remove any damage I've done.

27145[/snapback]

...Please see Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting item labeled "How can I unsend a Report?"
Also, re: quick reporting, let me offer some constructive feedback, after being yelled at on the newsgroup. Coming from the point of view of a casual user, if there's a feature that you shouldn't use, it shouldn't be available for you to use. If it's bad to use quick reporting, why do they offer it?

27145[/snapback]

...IMHO you ask an excellent question! My guess is that there is such a high demand for such a feature that Julian decided to permit its use, mounting evidence of its dangerousness notwithstanding, hoping that those who use it will be conscientious about not abusing it.

OK, I have switched over to the MailHost system, and entered all 9 of my satellite email addresses. I've been reporting a few spam messages, and all seems well so far.

I'll reply to my web host (and CC spamcop deputies) and tell them I may have reported them incorrectly, and that I've taken corrective action about it.

Thanks for the help!

OK, I have switched over to the MailHost system, and entered <snip>

I'll reply to my web host (and CC spamcop deputies) and tell them I may have reported them incorrectly, and that I've taken corrective action about it.

Thanks for the help!

27152[/snapback]

...You're most welcome; thank you for being a conscientious SpamCop reporter! :) <g>

Archived