Reporting spam-friendly sites useful?

cputrdoc

I get about 50-80 spam messages a day, 9 in 10 of them are from chinanet. Yahoo Mail already identifies them as junk mail and sorts them out accordingly. The real question I have, though, is whether reporting these messages to SpamCop is really doing any good. It looks like SpamCop isn't bothering to report chinanet spam any more and instead sorts it to general tracking e-mail addresses and to ctsummary[at]special.abuse.net.

If it's doing someone some good for me to continue forwarding these messages as I receive them, or most especially if there is some sort of activity going on to make chinanet enforce their spam rules some day, I'll continue doing it. If, on the other hand, all I'm doing is make the reported spam rate graphs go up, I'll just start emptying my spam buckets more regularly and skip the spamcop reporting process.

I'm a community service volunteer, I'm a SETI[at]home advocate, and I'm a distributed.net participant. If it makes the world a better place, I'll do all kinds of things that have no benefit to me directly or immediately. That includes reporting spam for domains like chinanet. But I'll quit if it's not doing anyone any good.

Your spam reports / complaints do serve to feed the statistics/database of the SpamCopBL. Though primarily a list of "bad" IP addresses used for the SpamCop e-mail account holders, Julian did make this list available to the public. There are countless ISP's that use this list to keep the garbage out of their e-mail servers, thus out of their customers' InBoxes.

So you're helping a lot of other folks, though to get a more direct benefit, you'd either obtain a SpamCop filtered e-mail account or ask your ISP to use the SpamCop BL to handle some of your incoming e-mail aissues.

Then let me take this thread down a slightly different (though related) route which is probably a FAQ that I just couldn't find --

How can I find a list of the ISPs participating in SpamCop already? If Yahoo is already running this through Spamcop, there's no point in me doing it again, and I can focus on just my one remaining troublesome account with absolutely no filtering (on netscape.net). That'll cut my spam reporting time in half! :)

Sorry, there is no such list ... As it's openly available to use, I'd think the only way to even take a stab at a user list would have to be monitoring the server logs ... and that's a lot of work for not much return <g> ...

Yahoo has their own in-house (and I'm sure some contracted) software support crew and they keep adding to what they do ... not to say that the SpamCop BL isn't in there arsenal, just doubt it ...

Let me turn this around and state that a lot of "net" users don't know anything about these types of services, whether their ISP filters or not, much less what specific tools are involved.

hope this helps ..??

Archived