Add checkboxes for "this is a bounce", etc.

I've started using SpamCop to report worm emails and incorrect email bounces. Each time I submit one of these, I want to tell the site what I'm reporting - like:

* "this is a worm email sent by someone through your network, you really should look into this and cut 'em off"

* "this is an incorrect bounce, I never sent the email in question, you need to reconfigure your mail server to stop sending out bounce messages to forged addresses"

* "you idiot, why is your antivirus software blaming ME for being infected by the Sober worm and SENDING ME A COPY OF IT in the bounce message?"

Problem is, I don't want to have to type these notes out every time into the "Additional notes" field when I submit an email through the web form. And since I copy/paste email into the web form, I can't keep one of these notes in my copy buffer to keep pasting each time.

I'd like SpamCop to add some checkboxes so that I can specify exactly what it is I'm sending, and alter the complaint that's being sent so that hopefully the site admin will be clued in. All it would take are "this is a worm email", "this is an incorrect bounce", and "this is a misdirected antivirus email" checkboxes which would add a line of explanation to the complaint email.

The first 'problem' with your suggestion has been the history of SpamCp reporters that have the tendency to "check/report everything" .... This would also feed into deciding just which recipient should receive this 'extra' bit of data (ignoring that part of the SpamCop reporting scenario is that the report arrives in a "standard" format.

For the purposes you present, putting your set of comments into a small text file, have that file opened up while reporting, would allow the contents to be copy/pasted as appropriate ...????

To get around the "check/report everything" problem, just make the "what kind of report is this" be a radio-button selection. One radio button for "this is a worm email", one for "this is an incorrect bounce", etc. That way the user won't select more than one different kind.

What recipient should receive the note? Any recipient who is responsible for allowing the offending email through their system - which should be all of the recipients that SpamCop chooses, because I don't think SpamCop sends reports to people who have nothing to do with the problem.

Copying/pasting the comments from a text file is a workaround for now, but it's a real pain for the amount of spam that I get.

What recipient should receive the note? Any recipient who is responsible for allowing the offending email through their system - which should be all of the recipients that SpamCop chooses, because I don't think SpamCop sends reports to people who have nothing to do with the problem.

To which one can only point to things like a complaint / issue raised once again today about the "I reported myself" situation, the fact that there is an "Innocent Bystander" option available for items/places/entities that should not have been reported, and that the 'rules / guidelines' include the ramifications of "bad" reporting ...????

Going back to the beginning of this thread I wonder if we are in the realm of bells and whistles. There seems to be better areas that programing effort could be applied.

Brian may be getting a high number of worms and bounces currently, but SC is a tool used by lots of other. Not that I'm complaining but of the 400-500 spam I report a month only 2-3 are infected and don't remember more that 1-2 bounces.

If you add a radio- button here, a fill in the blank there, and you end up with a window full of options to go through. You end up with something as complex and unstable as Uncle Bill's OS. And system managers that uses SC and report 100s of spam a day start complaining about how much time it takes to bet the spewers into the ground.

For my money I would prefer time be spent keeping up with those clever little bas.. that obfuscate their ID when sending me spam.

Archived