Activation Email = Spam Every , Single , Time

Wazoo

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168418 - Reference only

Looking for possible things overlooked thus far?

Invision Power Services _ Invision Power Board Support _ Activation Email = spam Every , Single , Time

Posted by: Troy Spiral Apr 29 2005, 09:46 PM

Similar comments have been made in this thread: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...opic=166013&hl= and others, but no real "solution" seems to be mentioned, im assuming there must be one, otherwise "spam filters" seem almost counterproductive.

I've now tested it out 4 times each with Hotmail , 4 times each with Yahoo, and i've had several of my users test it out making dummy accounts with AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail. (Comcast, various college emails , and such dont seem to be affected)

The activation email is flaged as "spam" in >every< case. I think we are up around 20 tests. And looking at the users that get stuck in validation, so far as i can tell , nearly 100% of users that signup using email accounts from any of the above hosts, get the activation email either nuked all together, or thrown in the "spam" folder.

I have never sent out an email that was not sent to somone that has "opted in".

I've had several users (and i've done it myself on Yahoo and Hotmail) go through and flag email from my site as "not spam" but it doesnt seem to have had any noticable effect.

What do i do to fix this situation?

How do i know what "my mail server" is ?

How do i get off these spam lists?

Posted by: Wazoo Apr 29 2005, 11:32 PM

As one that responded in that other Topic, not sure why you didn't just add to/bump that one ...

You ask a very complicated question (again) .... There are a lot of variables involved. One could start with a query I tried quite a while backm asking why there is no Date/Time-stamp on that outgoing e-mail. Lack of this 'standard' but of header data could tilt fiters towards deciding that it's spammy looking. I've got clients that send me e-mail via HotMail .. one e-mail comes through just fine, the next (a bit of text and a URL) is seen as 'spam' and is placed into the Bulk folder, the next (all text) e-mail arrives just fine. Coincidentally, the validation e-mail is a bit of text with a URL .... Problems may involve the IP block the e-mail is seen coming from.

As in the other discussion, the first 'fix' would involve pointing this "your ISP may call this spam" problem out in the Registration page before that first e-mail is actually sent out, thus giving that user a clue to at least look for it. The problem is (again, HotMail for instance) that e-mail account may be configured to automatically delete anything that finds its way to the Bulk folder ....

If you want to get mad about it, remember that this is all fallout from the spammers working to get around the blocks and filters put into place to stop their crap. This kind of spew is what the Forum I support is all about. Lots of info to be gleaned at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/

Posted by: bridgeaddict Apr 29 2005, 11:47 PM

This is what I have on my board registration page:

&lt;br /&gt;An email will be sent to the address you enter on this form. Please check your "filtered" or "bulk" folder if using a free email service, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc. &lt;strong&gt;You will need to click a link in the email to complete your registration.&lt;/strong&gt;

This certainly helps to steer people in the right direction.

I have an idea emails are filtered because they come from "nobody at etc". I raised this issue a long time ago, but nothing came of it.

P.S. I also have a similar directive on the screen that comes up after registration.

Posted by: Wazoo Apr 30 2005, 12:36 AM

Just registered on Troy's board. First of all, the visual key code is danged near unreadable .... I see that Troy has already entered that bit of 'warning text' on checking the junk/Bulk folders. I used a HotMail address, validation e-mail arrived in that InBox, lending credence to that the user preferences on their account may also feed into things. I was also keying on the "nobody" thing, seeing that in both the IPB PM notification and Troy's validation message. Yet, once again stymied by lack of access to the running fiiles on the forum I support. Data gleaned from other discussions would suggest a file named something like emailer.php holds the answers to this ...???

oh yeah, Troy had questions ..

How do i know what "my mail server" is ?

host 67.15.107.3 = ev1s-67-15-107-3.ev1servers.net

How do i get off these spam lists?

(quick list of spam spew, open relay, abused proxy checks)

67.15.107.3 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

67.15.107.3 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

67.15.107.3 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

67.15.107.3 not listed in cbl.abuseat.org

67.15.107.3 not listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net

67.15.107.3 not listed in relays.ordb.org

Curiosity asks why there's an image hosted elsewhere on that site?

Blocked Referer: http://www.detroitgothic.net/index.php?act...ts&CODE=leaders sent to http://home.comcast.net/~troyspiral/DGNnewLogo.jpg ...????? (will delete if you don't want this exposed)

Posted by: bridgeaddict Apr 30 2005, 01:07 AM

This may be way off beam, but I think it's possible that "automated" emails like reg and validation emails are configured this way by the email server itself. I don't think it's a question of being on any "spam lists".

Posted by: Troy Spiral Apr 30 2005, 01:16 AM

Frustrating problem, but me getting upset wont help much , so i wont get upset hah.

Wazoo that site has some interesting info, but its so "spamcop" specific that its hard to know what applies to me and what doesnt. I've never recived any spamcop email saying "you've been blocked" at least as far as i know. I susspect also that , at least not often anyway, that not many ISPs/Email Hosts are actually "blocking" my validation (and other) emails, so far as i can tell mostly they are just filtering them intot heir "spam" folders.

I do have some custom wording that i added awhile back (not sure what screen its on as of this writing) that basicly says "check your bulk email folder, your email host may mistakenly...."

I have my site hosted by IPS , doesnt that mean this is their problem more than mine? As in, i might be getting my validation emails blocked becasue of otehr IPS customers actions rather than my own?

Posted by: Troy Spiral Apr 30 2005, 01:18 AM

condesed in the thread below please ignore / delete this.

Posted by: Troy Spiral Apr 30 2005, 01:41 AM

Wazoo thanks very much for taking the time to research my problem like that. You, bridgeaddict and some others really are very helpful. IPS should be paying you guys.

Holy crap you got a hotmail account to send the validation email to the inbox? wooot. Who knows maybe im slowly becoming un-blacklisted hehe. (not getting my hopes up, the pessimist in me things that it was a fluke for some reason)

Having thought about it, partly i think i may be using the wrong terms. So far im not sure if more than a few random emails here and there have ever been "blocked" , i just seem to get listed as "possible spam" by everyone and their brother.

Wazoo when you say the visual keycode is near unreadable, what do you mean exactly? Arent most all visual keycodes setup that way? (thus being hard for computer/spambots to read them)

First off thanks for finding my mail server IP address and checking thoes spam lists for me. Just for my own info how did you find out the IP address of my mail server? (and is that the right thing to call it "my mail server"?)

In terms of that graphic being hosted off-site. When i look at my bandwidth usage stats, it seems that 80% of the bandwidth is sucked down due to the front page loading (which seems a bit strange since most all my users are repeat users, and i'd assume that the front page would be cached) The only significant file of any size on that front page is the banner, and since my comcast hosting account gets used for >nothing< i figured i'd leech some bandwidth from my personal comcast account, and host the "logo banner" there, rather than on IPS. Do you think this might cause me trouble?

Posted by: Wazoo Apr 30 2005, 02:38 AM

(Troy Spiral [at] Apr 30 2005, 01:41 AM) 

Wazoo thanks very much for taking the time to research my problem like that. You, bridgeaddict and some others really are very helpful. IPS should be paying you guys.

I'd be more than happy just for an answer or two ... 160+ posts, less than a dozen being queries, some of those actually repeats in different discussions. Out of a half-dozen PM's, only one response, that from Lindy advising that the only 'guaranteed' way to get an answer was to do a ticket ... yet my last three PM's and query dealt with my 'status' here (not knowing how 'my guy' got me here to begin with, the Lindy post advising of the change to take effect last Monday making it sound like Sunday would be my last day here) have been ignored, even by the new lady with the title that includes "IPS Customer Services Manager" ... I'm still here, but also still not able to access the client area .. my name/password won't fly there naturally ....

Having thought about it, partly i think i may be using the wrong terms. So far im not sure if more than a few random emails here and there have ever been "blocked" , i just seem to get listed as "possible spam" by everyone and their brother. 

Yes, "filtered" is probably closer to reality.

Wazoo when you say the visual keycode is near unreadable, what do you mean exactly? Arent most all visual keycodes setup that way? (thus being hard for computer/spambots to read them)

Retired U.S.Army, told all along that medical coverage was for life ... however, it turns out, not disabled enough, never a prisoner of war, so the reality is, eyes aren't covered, teeth aren't covered, and the only reason the rest might be looked at is because I'm living on the portion of my retirement check that I didn't lose in a divorce ... so picture old guy, ancient prescription on these 10+ year old glasses, web page data that doesn't respond to my attempt at increasing font size of those tiny darkened spots on the screen ...

First off thanks for finding my mail server IP address and checking thoes spam lists for me. Just for my own info how did you find out the IP address of my mail server? (and is that the right thing to call it "my mail server"?)

Data I used was from the headers of the validation e-mail. I'd guess that you're using a shared server, along with other IPS hosted users ....

In terms of that graphic being hosted off-site. When i look at my bandwidth usage stats, it seems that 80% of the bandwidth is sucked down due to the front page loading (which seems a bit strange since most all my users are repeat users, and i'd assume that the front page would be cached) The only significant file of any size on that front page is the banner, and since my comcast hosting account gets used for >nothing< i figured i'd leech some bandwidth from my personal comcast account, and host the "logo banner" there, rather than on IPS. Do you think this might cause me trouble?

"page would be cached" - ouch! You've got me laughing, but that's because you're not going to like the answer, and the only alternative is to cry along with you ... This application is a slew of .php scri_pt files. Each page is custom built for each browser visit. Even if we ignored that bit, there'd be little things like "number of posts" .. "Today's date/time is ..." little things that even on a bit more "static" page would reflect changed data, which would 'suggest' to the visiting browser that the page data needed to be refreshed.

The "off-site" hosting of the image is probably not noticed by 99%+ of your users. This particular system is locked down very tightly and goes nowhere without asking permission first. It was odd to see that comcast item pop up in the middle of all the gothic.net browser and cookie requests, I had to check the logs to find out what was actually trying to pull that off/unknown site call ... more of a "what got by my security" thing at first.

Posted by: bridgeaddict Apr 30 2005, 05:55 AM

I have my site hosted by IPS , doesnt that mean this is their problem more than mine? As in, i might be getting my validation emails blocked becasue of otehr IPS customers actions rather than my own?

It might be something IPS Hosting can address, but as this problem is widespread, I rather doubt it, as I'm pretty sure it's a generic thing. You can be certain that it's not being caused by other customers' actions. As I mentioned before, it's likely that it's this "type" of email (with a sender of "nobody") that makes the free email servers consider it to be spam.

Posted by: Lindy Apr 30 2005, 05:03 PM

I'd be more than happy just for an answer or two ... 160+ posts, less than a dozen being queries, some of those actually repeats in different discussions. Out of a half-dozen PM's, only one response, that from Lindy advising that the only 'guaranteed' way to get an answer was to do a ticket ... yet my last three PM's and query dealt with my 'status' here (not knowing how 'my guy' got me here to begin with, the Lindy post advising of the change to take effect last Monday making it sound like Sunday would be my last day here) have been ignored, even by the new lady with the title that includes "IPS Customer Services Manager" ... I'm still here, but also still not able to access the client area .. my name/password won't fly there naturally ....

My apologies for the PM oversight. To give you an idea of how many PMs I receive, yours was found on page 4 and hadn't even been read yet. Needless to say, e-mail is my preferred method of communication.

I've replied to your PM and ask that if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me via e-mail.

Posted by: Wazoo Apr 30 2005, 06:26 PM

Lindy, thank's ever so much for your reply. Updated another Topic started by Troy dealing with the IPB Forum access question, e-mail was sent, and I see that I was reset to Full Member status .. thanks again.

Posted by: Troy Spiral May 1 2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the addtional comentary/help/education. I feel like saying something my dad used to say when he first started asking me about computer stuff " dam it... i just want it to be FIXED! whats so hard about that? cant we just replace a part or something??" hehe.

Sorry to hear about your health coverage problems wazoo. Damnit, why dont we all just live forever in good health. This whole "getting sick and dying and what not" thing is crap. I want to upgrade to a UPS human body system.

Gah... ok this isnt the philosophy of life and the universe help forum is it? They should add one for us.

Posted by: Troy Spiral May 1 2005, 10:30 PM

Oh and ... you can see header info on hotmail mail? Been staring at this hotmail acount for like 8 minutes now... dont see any way to see the header info. >stares some more<

....4 more yahoo users stuck in "validation" again today. (which i highly doubt are that way becasue they just didnt bother to look for the email) bleh...

Posted by: joe_m May 2 2005, 08:04 AM

Oh and ... you can see header info on hotmail mail? Been staring at this hotmail acount for like 8 minutes now... dont see any way to see the header info. >stares some more<

....4 more yahoo users stuck in "validation" again today. (which i highly doubt are that way becasue they just didnt bother to look for the email) bleh...

If an email gets through to one of these services to someone you know (ie the fellow above who got it), take a good long look at the header.

I bet you'll see a field - "Precedence: Bulk".

Google on that, find a way to change it or have your host change it for your board admin account, and many (but not all) of your problems should be solved.

joe

Posted by: Wazoo May 2 2005, 01:31 PM

Just happen to have a FAQ for this <g> http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html HotMail is towards the bottom ..

joe_m - In the validation e-mail I'm looking at, that line isn't here ... noting that this Precedence: Bulk line is usually added at the recipent's e-mail host, after some filtering/management has been applied to it .... Here's the header in question (some munging done on addresses, and noting that there is the whitespace issue in this app, such that some lines are not seen as they really exist))

X-Message-Status: n

X-SID-PRA: DetroitGothic.Net <xxxxxx[at]yahoo.com>

X-SID-Result: TempError

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jEceI8upfE4Gwr5CvVBZfsjm9bCQWc6QO0=

Received: from server07.ipslink.com ([67.15.107.3]) by MC8-F21.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211);

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:24:22 -0700

Received: from nobody by server07.ipslink.com with local (Exim 4.50)

id 1DRkS3-0003K8-C6

for xxxxxx[at]hotmail.com; Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:23:39 -0500

To: xxxxxx[at]hotmail.com

Subject: Registration at DetroitGothic.Net ( From DetroitGothic.Net )

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer

Message-Id: <E1DRkS3-0003K8-C6[at]server07.ipslink.com>

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:23:39 -0500

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server07.ipslink.com

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - hotmail.com

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - server07.ipslink.com

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

Return-Path: nobody[at]server07.ipslink.com

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Apr 2005 05:24:23.0003 (UTC) FILETIME=[DE2552B0:01C54D44]

So from the 'evaluation for spamminess' perspective...

Original e-mail has no Date: line (code check last night .. class_email.php does grab time data, but only uses that to insert into the log entry, not used in the building of the e-mail header)

Note the multiple domains involved, web-site, e-mail server, e-mail addresses ... basically, nothing really seems to match, just like a spammer trying to hide the source

As mentioned before, the "nobody" references/addresses

And as stated before, when this header evaluation is then combined with a look at the body content/structure, a simple filter would easily see this as just another spam.

bridgeaddict / Troy - which exact language file did you modify? (or did you do all of them that includes this bit of text) It was a couple of days back that I went to look at this, but seem to recall that those 'instructions' were seen in at least a half-dozen different language sections, at the time wasn't sure which ones were for on-screen, which might be included in the e-mail itself ...???

Posted by: bridgeaddict May 2 2005, 10:11 PM

Wazoo, I edited the Register language file - the following two bits:

email_validate_text

auth_text

Posted by: Wazoo May 3 2005, 02:12 AM

Thanks.

Posted by: Troy Spiral May 3 2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the addtional info and comentary. Im glad wazoo pointed out the fact that it takes special work to see the header on hotmail and such, as i was starting to think i was just an idiot and/or blind.

Glad bridgeaddict replied to that last question from wazoo because i sure couldnt remember hah.

That "nobody" line seems crazy to me. They purposly have a setting for "email" were you put your return address (or what i would assume is a return address) you'd think they'd just put that in there.

The no timestamp thing seems odd too. What good is it to not include this info? Other than to tick off picky mail filters that is hah.

Posted by: bridgeaddict May 3 2005, 11:32 PM

I found http://forums.hostrocket.com/archive/index.php/t-778.html which explains how the "nobody" issue might be dealt with. The question is would/could IPS implement the advice and secondly, if so, would it prevent emails going into spam folders?

Posted by: Wazoo May 4 2005, 02:10 AM

There is reference to some ancient documentation there ... current RFC is found at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html (and by extension - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html) [also noting that these need to be updated soon, as the spammers have taken advantage of the "environment-of-trust" that these things were written for/under] ... not enough time now to follow the virtual-host issue ... but an interesting link, none the less ... thanks .

Posted by: b0rdslide May 4 2005, 08:06 AM

I'm also facing the same issue with the activation emails being blocked by yahoo, hotmail etc.

The weird thing is that this is the mail server that i run myself. The mail servers IP addresses havn't been blocked and any other mail from the system goes through absolutely fine.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason certain text in the activation email is tripping some filters - however if this was the case I would have thought every IPB installtion would be having problems.

Kev

Posted by: bridgeaddict Yesterday, 01:26 AM

Every installation does - this problem is universal. We're trying to work out if it's possible to fix somehow. Could you check out the link I posted in #20 and tell us what you think?

Posted by: Wazoo Today, 05:12 PM

First of all, AtariAge posted over in Bug Report a complaint about the 'surprising' "no date in e-mail issue" .. offering up a bit of code to 'resolve' that problem .. see http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168892 ... pointed him back to this Topic ....

Second: I just got some 'spam' (based once again on HotMail's filtering, thus placing it into the Bulk Folder) from Troy's forum. From the top .. I don't remember seeing any anoouncement during registration that I should be expecting this type of e-mail (invite to drop into a 'local bar' an a Saturday night) ... this e-mail doesn't quite fall into the suggested "opt-out" vehicle of "Visit your email preferences (must be logged in) http://DetroitGothic.net/?act=UserCP&CODE=02 and ensure that the box for 'Send me any updates sent by the board administrator' is unchecked and submit the form" .... a get-together invite is considered an "Admin update"??????

Third: back to header construct and content, compunded by 'falling' into the Bulk Folder ... I'll go worst case .. Someone gets upset at receiving this e-mail ...

Complaints on the 'source' of the e-mail would end up at (based on the use of the SpamCop parsing and Reporting tool set);

Parsing input: 67.15.107.3

host 67.15.107.3 (getting name) = ev1s-67-15-107-3.ev1servers.net

Using abuse net on abuse[at]ev1.net

abuse net ev1.net = abuse[at]ev1.net

Using best contacts abuse[at]ev1.net

Parsing input: http://DetroitGothic.net

host detroitgothic.net (checking ip) = 67.15.107.3

host 67.15.107.3 = ev1s-67-15-107-3.ev1servers.net (cached)

Using abuse net on abuse[at]ev1.net

abuse net ev1.net = abuse[at]ev1.net

Using best contacts abuse[at]ev1.net

(see also http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...ng=67.15.107.3)

This means that ev1.net abuse folks would get a complaint about both the 'source of the spam' and the 'hosting of a spamvertised web-site' ..... what is not known from this side of the screen is exactly what ev1 abuse staff would do with these complaints ... making decisions themselves or passing some data on to Invision Power Services, Inc. for someone there to make a decision ...??? (I don't recall seeing a listing of anyone handling these kinds of chores for IPS???)

Suggestions: place some kind of notice that these types of e-mails are "part of the package"

Until this 'seen as spam' thing gets worked out, perhaps add some code to move the opt-in/out to some other database bit (though recalling that "hosted" IPB forums don't necessarily have access to modifiable code)

Apply AtariAge's patch to see if that might help a bit (above might apply?)

Someone with the capability do a ticket on this to actually get IPB staff involved?

The "other" discussion thus far;

Invision Power Services _ Invision Power Board Bug Reports _ [2.0.3] "Date" field missing from Emails.

Posted by: AtariAge Today, 12:07 AM

When IPB sends email (for private message notification, etc.), it does not add a "Date" field to the email. I didn't even notice this until some of my users pointed it out. Sure enough, I went back and looked at some emails my board has sent me and there is no Date field. So, I added the following line to the function build_headers() in sources/classes/class_email.php:

Find:

$this-&gt;mail_headers .= "From: \\"".$ibforums-&gt;vars['board_name']."\\" &lt;".$this-&gt;from."&gt;\\n";

Add Above:

$this-&gt;mail_headers .= "Date: " . date("r") . "\\n";

This adds a properly formatted (RFC 2822) date field to the email header. I tested it in OS X's Mail app and the date now shows up properly in emails sent from my forum. Is there some reason why this was left out?

Thanks,

..Al

Posted by: AtariAge Today, 12:09 AM

Btw, the double slashes in the above post should be single slashes. When I put a single slash in my post initially, they disappeared after I posted the message. When I put two slashes in, they looked good when I previewed the post, but then showed up as two slashes after I submitted the edited post. Another bug?

..Al

Posted by: Planet-Ed Today, 12:30 AM

All my emails from IPS and the ones form the forums I run all have a Date Field in all emails I recieved.

Is this date field different than the one your referring to?

One from my server:

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:29:42 -0500

Message-Id: <200504111929.j3BJTgp13914[at]my.server.net>

To: email[at]forumdomain.com

Subject: You have a new personal message ( From Savagekillers )

From: "Savagekillers" <mailto:webmaster[at]forumdomain.com>

Or this one from IPS:

To: <address[at]myemail.net>

Subject: IPB 2.0.4 and Invision Blog 1.1.2 Released

Received: from mailer by localhost.localdomain with local (Mail); Thu, 5 May 2005 00:58:41 -0500

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 00:58:41 -0500

Posted by: AtariAge Today, 01:18 AM

Sorry, I should have clarified--I am using the SMTP mail function, since the built-in PHP mail function was not working properly (not sure why) when I setup my board. I've never used the PHP mail() function, does it automatically add the "date" header? I looked at the docs and it doesn't appear to. It's odd that the two messages you quoted above have the date field in different locations.

In the "class_email.php" file, I don't see the date being stuck into the header anywhere else. Here's a header from my forum before I added the Date field:

Return-path: &lt;editor[at]atariage.com&gt;
Envelope-to: albert[at]atariage.com
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2005 23:17:09 -0500
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (helo=localhost)
by stella.atariage.org with smtp (Exim 4.43)
id 1DTuGz-0000vi-7Q
for albert[at]atariage.com; Thu, 05 May 2005 23:17:09 -0500
To: albert[at]atariage.com
Subject: You have a new personal message

I sent myself a PM on this forum, and the Date field is present, but it appears after the Message-Id, so I'm wondering if it's being added elsewhere (that is, not by IPB).

..Al

Posted by: Wazoo Today, 08:59 AM

The "no date in headers" was something I'd banged on a few times, last seen at http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=168418 .. but I know I'm not the first to bring it up. Yes, the other side of the problem is that folks look at their copy of e-mail traffic, see a Date: in there, but fon't realize that it's been added somewhere along the way (usually at the ISP/server of the user's e-mail host) As you found, I'd noted that the "date/time: is looked up, but apparently only used for the admin logging of the traffic. (Note: this is also true for the "validation" e-mails)

Posted by: Planet-Ed Today, 05:02 PM

So if my mail server is adding the Date line but I change the class_email.php file to add the Date will the Date line be added twice to the email?

Also which is the Official way it should be done? At the program level or the server level? Do email programs like Outlook add the line itself or is it done at the server?

Posted by: AtariAge Today, 05:08 PM

So if my mail server is adding the Date line but I change the class_email.php file to add the Date will the Date line be added twice to the email?

I would imagine that if the Date field already exists in an email, that it will not be added again by another program along the way. In my opinion the date should definitely be part of the email generated by IPB, and it seems to be an odd omission. I'm hoping IPB will respond and either explain why the Date field is missing, or confirm that it's a bug and hopefully fix it.

Oh, as an aside--I went and looked through some of the bounced emails I've received from messages the forum has sent out. Some are due to the typical things, such as invalid email accounts or full mailboxes. But I have seen a few messages bounced by an ISP explicitly because the Date was missing.

..Al

Posted by: Wazoo Today, 05:30 PM

Also which is the Official way it should be done? At the program level or the server level? Do email programs like Outlook add the line itself or is it done at the server?

In the 'other' discussion I referenced 'here' .. I pointed to some more current RFC's .. off the top of my head, RFC2822 / 2821 are the ones that you'd want to look at for a header construct ...

Usually, the (source) e-mail application will put in the Date: line showing when the e-mail was "sent" .... the times showing up in the e-mail's I've inspected are Date/Time stamps placed by the (final) e-mail server ... either indicating the time it was actually received or "constructed" from data in one of the Received: lines.

Posted by: bridgeaddict Today, 05:43 PM

I added the date code posted by AtariAge and the date did not appear twice, so it would seem it's a good idea to add it, particularly if emails are being bounced when it's missing.

I'd still like to get rid of the "nobody" in the return path, which might also be one of the reasons why IPS emails are getting routed to the spam folder in some email applications.

I note your return path has editor[at]atariage.com. Is this because you're using SMTP?

Posted by: AtariAge Today, 05:51 PM

I note your return path has editor[at]atariage.com. Is this because you're using SMTP?

This is the email address I have set for the Board incoming email address and Board outgoing email address fields in the ACP Email Setup. This is a general email address we use for the http://www.atariage.com, not just for the http://www.atariage.com/forums/.

..Al

Posted by: bridgeaddict Today, 06:49 PM

Well I do too, but this is what comes through on the email headers:

Received: from server13.ipslink.com (server13.ipslink.com [67.15.107.22])
by xxxxxxxxxxxx (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id j46MUk4C027587
for &lt;admin[at]xxxxxxx.com&gt;; Sat, 7 May 2005 10:30:47 +1200
Received: from nobody by server13.ipslink.com with local (Exim 4.50)
id 1DUBAN-00056c-D8
for admin[at]xxxxxxx.com; Fri, 06 May 2005 17:19:27 -0500
To: admin[at]xxxxxxxx.com
Subject: You have a new personal message ( From xxxxxxx )

Hopefully Matt will be able to comment on this.

*Edit* The first line is missing and should read (and it just won't let me insert it!)

"Return-Path: <nobody[at]server13.ipslink.com>."

Archived