obscuring personal IDs in reports

hank

I know spammers are increasingly hiding addressee names/email in the spam text so automatic reports end up disclosing the info about the reporter and confirming an email address is valid and thus saleable to other spammers.

Could Spamcop allow each user to specify a few strings that would become XXXX in reports?  That would be one's personal name and email, to find them and wipe them out of the reports.

For a while I was doing that by hand, editing reports --- and that did reduce the amount of followon spam I was getting --- but it's a tedious process at best.

SpamCop automatically does that (well, with the email address)

see one of my submissions: https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6578044857zc86d7fb1db68d76d82418caac89c33fbz

Delivered-To: x
Received: from fundamental.avisayon.com (fundamental.avisayon.com. [188.213.212.42])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id q67si3118259wme.53.2019.10.03.17.05.23
        for <x>;
To: <x>
To: <x>

my email address entries are obscured as you can see in the link itself, and the names, well, I get spam emails addressed to different people that it doesn't bother me if they have RobiBue, MaryScott, or the Pope of Rome in the name ;)

The way the system works is sometimes confusing.  When you are logged in to SpamCop and follow a tracking URL to look at a report you see the un munged report.  If you log out and follow the tracking URL, you will see the munged report others see as RubiBue reported above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, Lking said:

When you are logged in to SpamCop and follow a tracking URL to look at a report you see the un munged report.  If you log out and follow the tracking URL, you will see the munged report others see as RubiBue reported above.

hank, it is a good idea to make sure it was munged before sending the reports to the admins.  (The admins that "could be" the actual spammers.)

On 10/6/2019 at 12:21 PM, Lking said:

The way the system works is sometimes confusing.  When you are logged in to SpamCop and follow a tracking URL to look at a report you see the un munged report.  If you log out and follow the tracking URL, you will see the munged report others see as RubiBue reported above.

I use Firefox, and if I open the tracking URL in a “private tab” even if I’m logged in, the private tab won’t be logged in — the Login credentials don’t carry over into new private tabs — and you can see the munged report right away without logging out first (but it has to be in a private tab)

In the following link, there are several ways explained on how to accomplish this with ie, Firefox, and chrome as well as other methods with the aforementioned browsers:

https://www.howtogeek.com/126621/how-to-log-into-multiple-accounts-on-the-same-website-at-once/

On 10/16/2019 at 4:07 AM, RobiBue said:

I use Firefox, and if I open the tracking URL in a “private tab” even if I’m logged in, the private tab won’t be logged in — the Login credentials don’t carry over into new private tabs — and you can see the munged report right away without logging out first (but it has to be in a private tab)

Some browsers might call this mode "incognito".

And yes, I use it too.