Troll Control

Miss Betsy

I have already posted to the on-going thread with discussion with the yourbuddy. If he hadn't posted to several questioners, I wouldn't have said "troll" I am not against posting to people who are not happy with spamcop, but I don't think that it should happen in the help forum in a thread about another question.

As I said, in the ng, at one time, with a persistent, reply to every new post, poster, the first regular would post a "Please do not feed the troll" with a link to what a troll is and then nobody else would post except to answer the OP's question.

Since this forum is moderated, I would think that a request to stop posting to posters with questions and to only post in the Lounge would be enough to ban the poster who doesn't comply.

There may be other strategies to keep the threads in help focussed on the OP's original question.

Miss Betsy

I have already posted to the on-going thread with discussion with the yourbuddy.  If he hadn't posted to several questioners, I wouldn't have said "troll"

I also find it odd that he/she has the time and energy to devote to his/her cause. And without offering specifics to his/her actual storyline, oh well ...

Since this forum is moderated,

Specific word there that might be mis-interpreted. An actual "moderated" board would not have any posts showing up until a "moderator" had approved it for posting (again, I'm keeping this simplistic)

This software app uses the name "moderator" for the position of someone that can manipulate some / most of the contents ... though the actual "moderated" option may exist, it's obviously not turned on) So thus far, JeffG has been the only one tagged with this "title" (kind of ognoring that most of the Deputies have their own titles which affords them the same capabilites, and of course JT as the BOFH ... You surely wouldn't want the additional duties and tasks of actually reading and deciding each and every post prior to getting it made visible to anyone else? Rumours are that JeffG sleeps sometimes <g>

be enough to ban the poster who doesn't comply.

unknown to me as to the powers of this software to do this, or of it'd be a server filter, or cause to complain to another ISP ... kind of hard to say from here ...

There may be other strategies to keep the threads in help focussed on the OP's original question.

True, but then we're back to an actual moderated situation, with all the possibilities there ... the old censorship things, first amendment .. oh wait, this is one of those long threads over there <g>

My solution has been to move the trolling posts and their fallout to the SpamCop Lounge, where readers are less likely to be confused by them. If s/h/it continues, further steps are available.

not fair .. pulling in references to posts that exist somewhere else, but moved and danged if I can figure out which Topic/Thread they're in now <g>

and of course, offered from a cowering position behind the bg desk in case she turns her attention to my direction <g>i

None of it makes sense at this time of night <g>

However, it is not a big enough deal to make too much extra work for the moderator - particularly if people are asked not to feed the troll - it could even be part of the introduction - that occasionally trolls post. And if there were a standard response (that didn't rebut the comments, but apologized for the distraction), that might be enough to discourage them.

I don't know how much work it is to move comments - my first thought when I saw his first post was to move it. Better a troll's post looking daft than mine!

Miss Betsy

There is no way to directly move a reply - I would have to split it into its own Topic and then merge it into another Topic. What I have done in yourbuddy's case was just split 5 Topics into the Lounge, putting the old Topic Subject in the Description. I think the Lounge may be beyond s/h/it's myopia. :D

Archived