Popgate having problems authenticating

No complains here, if only I and Merlyn have this issue then we have to wait for someone to look injto it individually...If it's more widespread then we still have to know if it is fixable..Thought bringing this up might benefit everyone in the long run...

Regardless, I don't know JT, never communicated directly with JT, did not even know at first which of the deputies would handdle this issue..

28608[/snapback]

JT is a great person, I owe him a truckload of $Favorite_Brew

Most of you know me, If they want my help in testing I am here, otherwise I am not wasting time on my hotmail addy :-)

I am still waiting for someone that can do something about this to look into it. It would be nice to know what is causing the error.

28672[/snapback]

...At this risk of seeming redundant: 28609[/snapback].

...At this risk of seeming redundant: 28609[/snapback].

28705[/snapback]

Steve, I gave up with this circular argument. dra007 still does not say he has emailed JT with this problem so I am assumming he did and is waiting for JT's reply (I have gotten at least one reply to a query since he brought this up) and blowing off steam here until he does.

Steven, if you happen to read this thread Jeff said he e-mailed JT, Wazoo confirmed it. And yes, I am still waiting for a reply. Not being redundant, just hoping whoever is in charge will stumble over this. It has been two weeks or more and still no resolution. Not that it is a big deal, but I do not understand why only two of us have so far reported a problem which obviously is not going away on it's own...

The apparent reduntancy is becoming to have the flavor of our daily spam reports that are seemingly never attended to or replied to ...I guess it's in the nature of this spam business..

Steven, if you happen to read this thread Jeff said he e-mailed JT, Wazoo confirmed it. And yes, I am still waiting for a reply. Not being redundant, just hoping whoever is in charge will stumble over this.

28719[/snapback]

...Rather than waiting passively for JT to reply to Jeff G or for "whoever is in charge" (by now, you may have "guessed" that "whoever is in charge" is JT and only JT, so it would be helpful if you would please drop the "whoever is in charge" verbiage) to "stumble over this" you might consider contacting JT, yourself. Anticipating your next question: JT contact information.

I'm having the same problem, but with both Yahoo and Hotmail.

popgate.cesmail.net is not retrieving most of my e-mail.

I have 2 hotmail accounts, and 6 yahoo accounts.

1 hotmail and 1 yahoo account work right, the rest have 73 "cannot connect to server" errors each.

I've tried deleting all of them, and reentering, but it didn't help.

All of the entries are xxx[at]yahoo.com or xxx[at]hotmail.com, and I've verified the passwords by logging in to yahoo and hotmail.

Only three things have happened that are different from normal:

1) I was away for a few days, and didn't check e-mail (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

2)yesterday (Tuesday), I noticed some e-mail missing from the inbox. My online_ordering account was getting "cannot connect to server" error, deleted it, re-entered it, and that account had ~500 e-mails waiting.

3) I changed from IMAPing my e-mail to forwarding to gmail

After that, 6 of the popgate accounts are getting "cannot connect to server". Also, Gmail keeps getting the same bunch of messages from my online_ordering account, over and over and over. And messages being sent to my e-mail address aren't arriving at all. Something seems to have happened - not sure what.

Is it possible that popgate gets overloaded by too many e-mail messages? Several of the accounts have more than 100 e-mails sitting and waiting for the "gates" to open.

My yahoo account works fine. I do check the hotmail and got little spam as of late, my error deals strictly with the password (invalid) which I have checked and rechecked and works now, it worked fine with popgate for a year or so, so the problem is fairly recent... I used to simply move the spam in that hotmail acount from the junk folder to the hotmail inbox and have it popped for reporting and that was convvenient..

I'm having the same problem, but with both Yahoo and Hotmail.

popgate.cesmail.net is not retrieving most of my e-mail.

I have 2 hotmail accounts, and 6 yahoo accounts.

1 hotmail and 1 yahoo account work right, the rest have 73 "cannot connect to server" errors each.

28781[/snapback]

This might be a "new" problem or someone working to fix the old problem as I am currently seeing 2 error on my Yahoo account as well but having received Yahoo email earlier today and not having changed anything on my accounts.

I've tried deleting all of them, and reentering, but it didn't help.

All of the entries are xxx[at]yahoo.com or xxx[at]hotmail.com, and I've verified the passwords by logging in to yahoo and hotmail.

Only three things have happened that are different from normal:

1) I was away for a few days, and didn't check e-mail (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). 

2)yesterday (Tuesday), I noticed some e-mail missing from the inbox.  My online_ordering account was getting "cannot connect to server" error, deleted it, re-entered it, and that account had ~500 e-mails waiting.

3) I changed from IMAPing my e-mail to forwarding to gmail

Thanks for the troubleshooting you have documented here. Have you also attempted to provide this information to JT as previous entries have mentioned?

Is it possible that popgate gets overloaded by too many e-mail messages?  Several of the accounts have more than 100 e-mails sitting and waiting for the "gates" to open.

It is always possible, but then again, the popgate system has, from my understanding, thousands of connections to make and download from so a few hundred messages on a couple of accounts should not make a big difference. There are the usual suspects - hardware problems, network problems, the remote side changing things or blocking popgates access (though some accounts are working you say).

What is odd about this is that despite still having the authentication error the spam level on that account has suddently dropped to near 0.

I do continue to report what I get manually. I suppose this apparent problem is still restricted to myself and Merlyn. Also, beyond the acknowledgement from JT I haven't got any reply as to the cause of this strange behavior.

May or may not be related .... several of my HotMail accounts were erroring out during the attempted mailruns via OE. This started a couple of days back. Went over to the Microsoft newsgroups and saw that there was a large list of complaints from folks dating back to last week with issues. The typical response as to "when will Microsoft fix thier c*&^%$ servers?" was "You'll know when it happens, as things will start working again." .....

Well, this morning, the failures started falling off the list. At present, all HotMail accounts I've got running are being successfully accessed via OE .. on the other hand, GMail seemed to have disappeared for a while ...????

EDIT 5Jun05 .... HotMail access via OE is failing on all accounts again ....

• 2 weeks later...

i am getting an "invalid password" error on a hotmail pop account. i have 2 accounts, and one is working but the other is not. i only noticed this within the last week or so... i have verified that the password is correct by logging in to my account, and i have changed the password to see if that helps. i have removed the account from the list and added it back. no luck.

so, the other hotmail account and my yahoo account have been fine, except for a "cannot contact server" message that i saw on tuesday for a short while...

i have seen similar posts, and they suggested that the failing account is an older reistration and this is causing the error... i think this is the case with mine, but i am not 100% sure.

any ideas on how i can fix this? anything else i can check either with my spamcop account or the hotmail account?

thanks

Jim

The webmail removes the password in the popmail after 400 or so invalid attempts. Resetting it a million times did not work. I am sure it has to do with the popping function, I have no problem athenticating myself into that account.

I did, 2 or 3 weeks ago, he replied immediately. However the problem still persists.

29393[/snapback]

As I recall the timing, that was before the major problem with POP in general. Since I had heard nothing here, I assumed this problem was remedied with that reboot. Perhaps JT assumed the same? Antoher email is in order (you are VERY patient :) )

Archived