Reporting addresses

or31

agsteele, Actually the benefits are plenty because the site structure includes the ability to search the MLS with fairly specific criteria.  That is the one thing visitors like to do more than anything else on a real estate website.  Moreover, it also provides current real estate news articles & tips, when people set up accounts, they're not just signing up to receive email; they also have the ability to set up very specific searches and save them.  They can also set up "favorites" folders for specific listiings that they find, print out flyers in various formats, email listings to friends, request a tour or further information from me, etc.  There is no way that I could put all of that together and maintain it.  Even if I could, the limited download licensing that our MLS provides to our broker would prevent me from being able to add search capability.  The only way around that is by becoming a broker and managing my own office--sorry, but no thanks! hehe.

31923[/snapback]

I thought from your previous post that this MLS thing was what was the valuable part. You could probably, however, maintain your own mailing list and not use theirs, couldn't you? That is, if they refuse to give you reliable service in that area.

I do hope that you will continue to bug them for better service. You might even get other customers to ask. It is such a simple thing - one little box to check or uncheck, one email to confirm.

Miss Betsy

• 2 weeks later...

As a followup on my test by registering on your web site (to repeat, there was no indication of a subscription to anything on that site) I have received the following emails.

1) 8-23-05 subject: Real estate: Information resource & services

If you're interested in either buying or selling a home, I'm sure you'll find my website to be an excellent resource.......

2) 8-25-05 subject: I'm here to help with your real estate needs

The world of real estate can seem like an intimidating place. Whatever your particular need, a real estate professional such as myself can help you navigate these potentially hazardous waters......

3) 8-29-05 subject: Considerations for selecting a real estate agent

If you're considering buying or selling a home, selecting a real estate agent is the first important decision you will have to make.....

And you wonder why some people are reporting you as a spammer?

I would consider all three of the emails received as spam and not as something that I signed up for.

They do not appear to be newsletters (from my point of view) but rather bulk advertising.

They do not referece anywhere that the receipent had visited your web site and that this email was a response to that visit.

There is a standard boilerplate

This email is intended for a recipient with an existing business relationship with the sender. The source email server is managed by Reliance Network, LLC. If abuse is suspected, please contact Reliance Network via the following URL.
But simply registering on a web site with an email address only (no other information was provided by me at all - I simply left all the other fields blank) does not create a "existing business relationship" from my point of view.

To quote your previous post

My website emails its registrants with a regular newsletter and other helpful information.
Who sends regular newsletters that frequently?

You definately need to make some changes to your web site and email structure.

1) Clearly state that by registering your address that you are signing up to received frequent emails.

2) Provide a method on your web site to unsubscribe

3) Provide a method to register without subscribing to the emails.

Since this was a test I started, I will not be reporting them as spam, but I do consider them to be spam based on what I felt I had signed up for and what I actually received.

dbiel,

I'll see what I can do. Unfortunatly, there are only a few areas in the website that we are able to customize. Everything else is put together by Reliance. I have not found a way to customize the sign-up page at all. I am going to try to get some of the higher ups to do it though, per your advice. Thanks for the input. This is part of the problem when they sell such fully featured websites for dummies--we dummies aren't trusted with that much control.

I'll see what I can do.  Unfortunatly, there are only a few areas in the website that we are able to customize.  Everything else is put together by Reliance.  I have not found a way to customize the sign-up page at all.  I am going to try to get some of the higher ups to do it though, per your advice.

32416[/snapback]

Please ask the higher ups to see FAQ Entry: Am I Running Mailing Lists Responsibly?. Thanks!

agsteele, Actually the benefits are plenty because the site structure includes the ability to search the MLS with fairly specific criteria.

31923[/snapback]

Just back from a short vacation...

I still suggest you operate your own list software for the mailing even if you use the rest of the package to provide the other functions. Otherwise I suspect your BL problems will just get worse not better.

Andrew

opt in required in case someone simply subscribe for your newsletter using your email address, am I right?

32425[/snapback]

Actually serves several purposes.

1) Stops one from adding someones else's email address without permission. (a actual user of the address must confirm thereby granting retro active permission to the individual who actually registered the address)

2) Forces everyone to confirm that they do actually want to be added to the list.

3) Provides documentation for the list holder that each registered address was authorized by a user of that address.

Archived