Google Groups search

Wazoo

I'll be honest ... I'm not having much luck trying to integrate a Google Groups search into the Search line I added to the top of the Forum pages. Technically, it is working, but the actual search results are not coming back as expected at all. I've tried adding 'groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search' / 'groups-beta.google.com/groups' / etc. but ..... appearances seem to be that the form variables aren't being picked up correctly to build the 'proper' search string .... at present, it appears that I'll have to build/add a second set of search boxes to actually get this thing to work out the way I want it to work (specifically, looking for entries n the sightings newsgroup) Anyone already have this one accomplished?

That's where having to add in another search line entry comes into the mix ... I was trying to simply add it as another option in the target list and only have the one line showing ... code right now is pettry much just a simple Form entry block, such that manipulating the string/query data isn't part of the mix .. but that's where the problem seems to be. As you suggest, to make it work as I wanted, the query string would have to be 'built' (as it needs to be a bit fifferent than the SpamCop search string) ... suggesting that this whole thing needs to built up as someting like a java scri_pt thing rather than simple HTML ... but if Iwas going to do that, then I may as well match on and do up one of those custom pages to do all kinds of queries ... which then leads to 'why re-invent the wheel?"

Like you, was looking up some data on a user's query, thinking that a quick link on the same page would be nice .. then realized how much work I was actually trying to do ... looking up the MX for a user's posting IP as the user didn't specify the IP address of the server in question, then running somewhere else with that data (usually multiplied as there was more than one IP/MX for that network [then finding out that nnon of them was at issue])

sorry .. started a bit of a ramble there .. just fawned on mr that I haven't eaten anything all day .. off to find some victim consumables <g>

Archived