Spamcop reporting ME as spammer when sending repor

piraino

Spamcop is reporting MY ISP as the spammer when I send reports. Now my ISP is black listed. How can I get in touch with someone at spam Cop to fix this problem? No where on the web site does it say how to contact someone. However, they gladly take my money every year.

BTW: This is the SECOND time this happend, and I will no longer use SPAMCOP's useless reporting services. How can I obtain a refund for the balance of my account?

Sincerely,

John Piraino

One person reporting should not have been sufficient data to list an IP .... especially noting that your posting IP comes from a very large high-speed cable provider .... it is possible that your reports may have 'helped' list the IP address that you left out of your post (thus no research can be offered on that specific listing)

The "web page" does have contacts listed, as does the Forum FAQ .... after all the work and turmoil behind placing those links into the FAQ here, I will leave that to your research ... noting that you didn't bother to specify just what type of account you had paid for.

The Reporting mechanism offers a thing called MailHost configuration .... one could assume that you didn't take advantage of this? (one of the side effects was to minimze self-reporting) ... and of course, one can always go back to the original agreement made when registering to use the SpamCop toolset ... "you" are responsible for which and where reports go out .....

Hi, John,

Spamcop is reporting MY ISP as the spammer when I send reports.  Now my ISP is black listed. How can I get in touch with someone at spam Cop to fix this problem?

28849[/snapback]

...The answer to your question is in the post on the front page of this forum labeled " Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting" in links labeled "Why does SpamCop want to send a report to my own network administrator?" and "How can I unsend a Report?."
No where on the web site does it say how to contact someone. <snip>

28849[/snapback]

...The answer to this question is also in the aforementioned FAQ in a link labeled "How can I contact a SpamCop representative?"
BTW: This is the SECOND time this happend, and I will no longer use SPAMCOP's useless reporting services. How can I obtain a refund for the balance of my account?

28849[/snapback]

...Did you purchase "fuel" or an account with SpamCop e-mail service?

...The problem you experienced is one of the reasons SpamCop has the MailHosts Configuration feature.

One person reporting should not have been sufficient data to list an IP .... especially noting that your posting IP comes from a very large high-speed cable provider ....  it is possible that your reports may have 'helped' list the IP address that you left out of your post (thus no research can be offered on that specific listing)

My posting ISP and my domain ISP are two different hosts. I use another service to run my business instead of using my local provider for mail hosting and web hosting, so this is not the issue.

My posting ISP and my domain ISP are two different hosts. I use another service to run my business instead of using my local provider for mail hosting and web hosting, so this is not the issue.

28852[/snapback]

I certainly hope you've identified the contact details you were seeking from the provided FAQ links.

However, I'm not clear why you believe you have reported your own ISP and this has caused the listing. It really isn't safe to use the 'Quick report - immediately and trash' option unless you have the Mailhosts configured. You can never be sure which ISP is going to be reported using this means. 'Queue for reporting' gives you the opportunity to confirm who is being reported before submitting the report - as does Email submission.

Andrew

Spamcop is reporting MY ISP as the spammer when I send reports.

28849[/snapback]

Your quote above is incorrect:

You are reporting your ISP as a spammer when you send reports.

Spamcop MAY be incorrectly determining that the source of the spam you are submitting is your ISP, but they are your reports and your responsibility. Spamcop is simply a tool to help you determine where the spam should be reported. That is the reason for the confirmation buttons and the reports that can not be turned off.

If you had provided a Tracking URL (from those very same confirmation screens/reports) we could help you determine why the parser is finding your ISP as the source.

If you have provided an IP address of the server you believe is listed by these reports or even an error when you are trying to send an email, we could help determine exactly why your machine has been listed.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been contacted by my ISP for spamming too. I can only assume it's due to all the spamcop reports I'm sending, so I will cease using this crap service. No I can't tell you which one it was, I send hundreds.

I've just been contacted by my ISP for spamming too.  I can only assume it's due to all the spamcop reports I'm sending, so I will cease using this crap service.  No I can't tell you which one it was, I send hundreds.

29538[/snapback]

As stated jusr about everywhere, you are the ultimate responsible party as to which reports go out and where they go .... the SpamCop parsing and reporting tools-set is just that .. a tool ... any tool needs oversight/supervision to be used correctly.

Not a good analogy.  Putting in nails without a hammer is virtually impossible.

29556[/snapback]

...What do you mean? I use a pair of pliers all the time (although I whack my thumb about as frequently as people who use hammers seem to). :D <big g>
Sending a spam report without using spamcop is just as easy if you have to check spamcop's results every time.

29556[/snapback]

...Although both of us will probably regret this suggestion (given Murphy's Law), have you tried the MailHosts Configuration? One of its goals was to minimize the likelihood of reporting your own provider. Some (most?) SpamCop reporting users find that it works without a glitch but some of us have found that it takes some patience and also does not solve the problem 100% (principally because our providers' mail server infrastructure changes).

Your pliers are the equivalent to another spamcop type service which also sends dodgy reports.

I won't be trying anything. If there is any risk of getting reported myself, I simply won't bother anymore. And I've noticed the same spams from the same domains coming up over and over again - reporting spams to ISPs doesn't work. Some ISPs must be ignoring reports. Until it's a criminal offence to spam, we're stuck with it.

Your pliers are the equivalent to another spamcop type service which also sends dodgy reports.

29560[/snapback]

...Huh? I was responding to your assertion:
Not a good analogy.  Putting in nails without a hammer is virtually impossible.
My intent was to show that assertion to be incorrect. I believe I accomplished that, your most recent attempt at deflection notwithstanding. :) <g>
I won't be trying anything.  If there is any risk of getting reported myself, I simply won't bother anymore.

29560[/snapback]

...Given your general negative attitude and apparent resistance to any service but one that requires minimal effort and provides 100% reliable output (you are obviously not a user of any Microsoft product ever made! :) <g>), I think that is a wise choice.
And I've noticed the same spams from the same domains coming up over and over again - reporting spams to ISPs doesn't work.  Some ISPs must be ignoring reports.

29560[/snapback]

...That should have been no surprise. Not that you're likely to be interested but for the benefit of others who might stumble across this discussion, there are a number of other postings in these fora on the subject of whether reporting via SpamCop does any good ....
Until it's a criminal offence to spam, we're stuck with it.

29560[/snapback]

...Laws aren't likely to stop it, either, as the prevalence of theft, murder and other crimes shows. spam is driven by the fact that there's money in it, so it won't stop until everyone recognizes spam as spam and ignores it (and that won't ever happen, either).

...Huh?  I was responding to your assertion:My intent was to show that assertion to be incorrect.  I believe I accomplished that, your most recent attempt at deflection notwithstanding. :) <g>

29571[/snapback]

No need to be pedantic.

Given your general negative attitude and apparent resistance to any service but one that requires minimal effort and provides 100% reliable output

29571[/snapback]

If I bought a fire extinguisher and sometimes it set me alight, I wouldn't be happy.

(you are obviously not a user of any Microsoft product ever made! :) <g>)

29571[/snapback]

Actually I'm running windows XP.

spam is driven by the fact that there's money in it, so it won't stop until everyone recognizes spam as spam and ignores it (and that won't ever happen, either).

29571[/snapback]

So why bother reporting it?

So why bother reporting it?

29572[/snapback]

1. Because reporting it gets it added to the blacklist so that others (possibly myself) will not receive future messages from the same source. I am on a few different lists where I receive a seceond email to a different address about 15-20 minutes after I receive the first. If I report the first (and others do the same), the second ends up in my Held Mail folder (also to be reported to keep it on the list).

2. Because SOME ISP's do care and do take actiion against the spammers.

and 3. So I feel I am doing SOMETHING to combat this crime, just like reporting a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

1.  Because reporting it gets it added to the blacklist so that others (possibly myself) will not receive future messages from the same source.  I am on a few different lists where I receive a seceond email to a different address about 15-20 minutes after I receive the first.  If I report the first (and others do the same), the second ends up in my Held Mail folder (also to be reported to keep it on the list).

2.  Because SOME ISP's do care and do take actiion against the spammers.

and 3.  So I feel I am doing SOMETHING to combat this crime, just like reporting a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

29577[/snapback]

Well it doesn't do a lot. I report all the spam, and get the same number of the same spam from the same ISPs. If an ISP does do something, the spammer will simply move to another one.

Well it doesn't do a lot.  I report all the spam, and get the same number of the same spam from the same ISPs.  If an ISP does do something, the spammer will simply move to another one.

29581[/snapback]

Do you use the spamcop BL at all? Of the ~200/day spam I used to get (recently switched email addys due to non-spam related problems), only 1 or 2 ever made it by the spamcop filtering system.

Do you use the spamcop BL at all?  Of the ~200/day spam I used to get (recently switched email addys due to non-spam related problems), only 1 or 2 ever made it by the spamcop filtering system.

29584[/snapback]

No I don't. Is it safe to use such a thing? Any blacklist service is bound to make a mistake now and then.

...Huh?  I was responding to your assertion:My intent was to show that assertion to be incorrect.  I believe I accomplished that, your most recent attempt at deflection notwithstanding. smile.gif <g>
No need to be pedantic.

29572[/snapback]

...Sorry you feel that way. I think what I wrote was an effective way of making the particular point.
Given your general negative attitude and apparent resistance to any service but one that requires minimal effort and provides 100% reliable output
If I bought a fire extinguisher and sometimes it set me alight, I wouldn't be happy.

29572[/snapback]

...If there is something that led you to believe that SpamCop was a spam extinguisher, please do post the reference here so that we can try to get it corrected. SpamCop is merely a tool that does a pretty good job of finding the appropriate parties to whom to report spam and, after the user (you or I) reviews those parties to determine if they're reasonable (and not our own ISP), actually goes the extra mile and sends reports to those we specify by checking the boxes. It's a LONG way from an extinguisher!
(you are obviously not a user of any Microsoft product ever made! smile.gif <g>)
Actually I'm running windows XP.<snip>

29572[/snapback]

...You live with Microsoft products but can't live with the way SpamCop works. That's amazing to me! :) <g>

Do you use the spamcop BL at all?  Of the ~200/day spam I used to get (recently switched email addys due to non-spam related problems), only 1 or 2 ever made it by the spamcop filtering system.

29584[/snapback]

No I don't. Is it safe to use such a thing? Any blacklist service is bound to make a mistake now and then.

29586[/snapback]

...Absolutely! That's why SpamCop themselves suggest that the BL should only be used to filter and not discard incoming mail.

...Absolutely!  That's why SpamCop themselves suggest that the BL should only be used to filter and not discard incoming mail.

29589[/snapback]

And that is exactly how the SpamCop email system works. After my whitelist was stable, I have found MAYBE 3 messages in my Held Mail folder in the last year, and one was because the sender changed email providers.

Again, it is not the tools you use, but HOW you use the tools that will determine success or failure.

"Sorry you feel that way. I think what I wrote was an effective way of making the particular point."

I obviously was referring to using no tool at all - not pliers! I was comparing spamcop to manual spam reporting.

"If there is something that led you to believe that SpamCop was a spam extinguisher, please do post the reference here so that we can try to get it corrected. SpamCop is merely a tool that does a pretty good job of finding the appropriate parties to whom to report spam and, after the user (you or I) reviews those parties to determine if they're reasonable (and not our own ISP), actually goes the extra mile and sends reports to those we specify by checking the boxes."

If I'm going to have to check what it's up to, I may as well do the whole thing myself.

"You live with Microsoft products but can't live with the way SpamCop works. That's amazing to me! :) <g>"

Spamcop is not necessary. An OS is. And XP happens to be the best one. I'm certainly not having any problems with it.

"Absolutely! That's why SpamCop themselves suggest that the BL should only be used to filter and not discard incoming mail."

I already have a spam filter - built into Opera.

I obviously was referring to using no tool at all - not pliers!  I was comparing spamcop to manual spam reporting.

29591[/snapback]

You are also using other tools for manual reporting, I would assume. Unless you happen to know the reporting address for every IP in the world in your head.

If I'm going to have to check what it's up to, I may as well do the whole thing myself.

29591[/snapback]

The check is as simple as seeing if the report will be going to your ISP. That takes nowhere near the time to investigate and generate a manual report (that is worth anything). But don't use the spamcp tool if that is how you feel. One user won't affect the benefit I get from spamcop one way or another.

I have been reporting for almost 3 years now and the only reports sent to my ISP were because that was the actual source. I have used the MailHost configuration since it's inception and find the reports easier to read because of it.

I've made mistakes (all of us have at one time or another) but owning up to your mistakes is a part of life.

ATTENTION: Report only those e-mail addresses and web sites that you think your spammer has used. Avoid checking any boxes left empty unless you know that your spammer has used the addresses or sites thus identified. Each false report that you submit means wasted time for a network administrator, so take care. The last thing SpamCop wants are network administrators so accustomed to false claims that they no longer take these spam reports seriously.

Archived