ArtmakersWorlds

Increase in spam out of google lately. Anyone know why?

hi all,

Ok, I have several email accounts but one in particular I use specifically for things likely to harvest me and spam me to death.  It's always been my "disposable" account (on yahoo) but so far Yahoo has done a pretty fair job of separating junk from email, AND I haven't had much spam.  A few a day, if that.

BUT lately, just about EVERY piece after running through spamcop shows up as google as the source. 

Does google even care about spamcop complaints?  Cause they sure don't care about user complaints directly, (about ANYTHING.)

If filing spamcop complaints does any good at all I will continue.  But if there is no point, perhaps just deleting would be easier.  If this won't stop, or slow it down, what's the point?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Does google even care about spamcop complaints? 

Google free service would rely  only automation, it is very good at sorting spam from ham
If you log onto their webmail and mark all your spam as phishing it is acted upon.
Each spam complaint would cost around $50 for a abuse team to work on, but I do believe abuse reports are gone over by Google
I rarely get spam in my Gmail account

Edited by petzl

14 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Does google even care about spamcop complaints?  Cause they sure don't care about user complaints directly, (about ANYTHING.)

From my experience, google seems to better to external people than to their own users.  From the spam I reported that came from the google cloud, it seems mine stopped in about two weeks.  Sure is much faster than amazon's two months...

First off, I do NOT use Gmail.   Oh I have an account but only to use youtube.  I do almost all my email on yahoo.   And this is fairly recent, the uptick in spam coming from google. 

If I forward it directly to google, IF I get a reply at all, it's usually some long winded techno thing on how it didn't come from them, they are only a service... yada yada.  

My point here is why all of a sudden?   Yahoo (even my spam bait account) was down to only a few spam messages a week.  And usually from any number of sources. 

Now?   ALL GOOGLE and some 9 or more a day.  Almost all with similar messages.  Something medical.  Burn fat, keto diet, pills.... like that.  I got on someones spam list and that spammer just happens to be abusing google.  I would hope after they got enough complaints they might track it down.

Or not.  Frankly I think google got too big to care about anyone.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

BUT lately, just about EVERY piece after running through spamcop shows up as google as the source. 

I had a spammer try to use the google cloud, but they sent it to my spamtrap.  Mysteriously everything got reported and they appears to be kicked off the google cloud.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Now?   ALL GOOGLE and some 9 or more a day.  Almost all with similar messages.  Something medical.  Burn fat, keto diet, pills.... like that.  I got on someones spam list and that spammer just happens to be abusing google.  I would hope after they got enough complaints they might track it down.

My guess is if we keep up reporting it, the spammers will give up on using google's systems.  The speed of reporting seems to have a great effect on causing the spammers to no longer want to waste their time setting up a google cloud server.

I report it all assuming I check within 2 days of it showing up.   That account in question I don't always.   But yea, report it all.  If everyone did this it would stop so much faster.

Thanks again for spamcop.  best service out there.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

I report it all assuming I check within 2 days of it showing up.   That account in question I don't always.   But yea, report it all.  If everyone did this it would stop so much faster.

Thanks again for spamcop.  best service out there.

Gmail/other throwaway accounts, need to confirm email accounts say a week later aside from their auto-ack and remove anything in their "cloud accounts"
I keep reporting these criminals to gmail with this "addy", who keep attacking although now slowly

Criminal  phishing, bogus reply address, bogus unsubscribe
This/my email address I believe sold to this Russian (?) Crime gang by FaceBook

Edited by petzl

On 3/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, petzl said:

Gmail/other throwaway accounts, need to confirm email accounts say a week later aside from their auto-ack and remove anything in their "cloud accounts"

The problem with the week delay will be a similar reason why people complain about being on the blocking list.  Spammers will use it to somehow deny real legitimate customers access.  There will be some fine line somewhere where they could get it to work, but I don't know where that line is.  It is interesting that spamassassin has three sections, not spam, spam, and an overlapping area.  As a real person, I wouldn't want to wait a week but I do agree that spammers should wait.  (But then with enough money, the spammers would probably sign up as a business and they would probably bypass the delay.)

My spam has been increasing.  From yesterday to today, doubled!  And so far ALL coming from google.