Free - get our most popular daily mail - we think you’ll like it!

RobiBue

How quaint :)

just received a cute email starting with:

It’s been a while since you’ve visited us. Are you still interested in the stock market?
If yes, we think you’ll enjoy our most popular daily mail called Must Reads.

We cover how coronavirus impacts the market and offer unique perspectives and investing opportunities.

sorry seekingalpha, 1st I do not recall ever having asked for emails from you, and since you say "it's been a while", there must have been a reason.
BTW since I haven't "ever" (at least since November 2005) received an email from you, I would wager to say, you got my email address from somewhere else, so I'll pass, thank you very much :)

So I go check my browsing history (ISO ALPHA-2) is all I get with alpha, and as for websites with passwords (wolframalpha.com) is the only one I have ever logged in, so sorry seekingalpha, your "pitch" doesn't work with me. You are sent to the spam bin and reported :) nyuknyuknyuk!

At the very bottom:

By default, clicking links in Seeking Alpha emails auto-logs you into the site. Be careful not to forward this email to anyone you don’t want having access to your account. You can change your email security settings

Yeah, right! (and they say two positives don't make a negative), like I want to be auto-logged in without my decision... No Way in HE🏑🏒 (pity those hockey sticks are facing left). Also a reason why I do not click on links in emails I don't trust...

I thought I'd share this nugget which is taken right from the spammer's playbook ;) 

I hope an admin reads this:

I just received re spam report with the following subject line/title:

Subject: [WARNING: UNSCANNABLE EXTRACTION FAILED][SpamCop (216.146.32.175) id:7052936601]Free - get our most popular daily mail - we think ..
what does this mean?
[WARNING: UNSCANNABLE EXTRACTION FAILED] 

here's the SC link just in case, but I see no [WARNING: UNSCANNABLE EXTRACTION FAILED] in there...

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6629574662z324eed2acb847c77c158ebdf4647d185z

21 hours ago, RobiBue said:

what does this mean? [WARNING: UNSCANNABLE EXTRACTION FAILED]

I have seen this a few times in the reply email after I forwarded something to my submit address.  As near as I can tell, the submitted spam seemed intact and I was able to report it.  Judging how it moved the subject line of line up to between when vmx.spamcop.net got it from me and sent it onto the next node, I would guess this was done by the external vmx.spamcop.net node.

Received: from vmx.spamcop.net (prod-sc-smtp8.sv4.ironport.com [10.8.129.218])
        by prod-sc-app010.sv4.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B579451B67
        for <submit.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@spam.spamcop.net>; Mon,  6 Apr 2020 20:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [WARNING: UNSCANNABLE EXTRACTION FAILED](Ma

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, RobiBue said:

Why are you receiving this? You subscribed to Must Reads at Seeking Alpha.

yeah, sure :) Rule #1

Sounds like a business might not know about the double-opt-ins.  If they don't have any opt-in check, they they really should change their wording to "some subscribed using your email address to....."

20 hours ago, gnarlymarley said:

Sounds like a business might not know about the double-opt-ins.  If they don't have any opt-in check, they they really should change their wording to "some subscribed using your email address to....."

absolutely!

I've been fighting spam now for close to 20 years, and even back in the day, double opt-in was suggested to the companies affected by these malicious login attempts. I just don't understand how short the memory of some people is. I am sure some of these IT guys were also affected by these spamming opt-ins...

I don't know how an "opt-in check" could work... I have a VPN and am accessing the web from different sites worldwide (at least on my tablet) so if I opt-in at some site, they might log my IP address, and probably ask for a captcha, but anybody can opt me in using a captcha and the IP address would still be as unknown as mine is... unless you mean "opt-in check" = "double-opt-in"

just like this stupidity with spotify, where they send an email that somebody created an account, and for me to confirm, but in the end, confirmation is not needed since the account is already created and I receive emails from people logging in from two different sites (Ukraine and US) -- mindblowing 🤯

Edited by RobiBue

1 hour ago, RobiBue said:

I don't know how an "opt-in check" could work...

Ooops.  Sorry, by "opt-in check" I meant single or double opt-in.  Some of the big social media sites are not even doing the single opt-in.  

1 hour ago, RobiBue said:

've been fighting spam now for close to 20 years, and even back in the day, double opt-in was suggested to the companies affected by these malicious login attempts. I just don't understand how short the memory of some people is. I am sure some of these IT guys were also affected by these spamming opt-ins...

Yeah, some picked it up and starting doing the double opt-in, but only took a few years and they all forgot about it.  Sometimes I wish people didn't have a short memory.  In one spam report, I put a note that they should delete their email list and should be using "double opt-in" and then the spam stopped very quickly.