[Resolved] spamcontrol outlook tool

grooth

I bought the SpamControl Outlook Tool from one of the sources suggested by SpamCop, but discovered that I had to have CDO enabled in Outlook. I hadn't heard of this and have been unable to activate the cdo.dll eventually sent me by the seller. The effect is that the program does not recognize the folder inwhich the spam is stored. I use XP Home which does not come with the CDO option.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? The software as it stands is useless to me and I cannot get the seller to refund.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

You could use Outlook Express to handle your email, rather than Outlook. Outlook is fundamentally incompatible with SpamCop.

Referring to the link SpamControl Outlook Tool on How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? : Microsoft products, I see a seal (Image ht tp://www.hendricom.com/images/30day.gif) in the bottom left corner which reads "GUARANTEED" and "30 Day Money Back". I suggest you invoke the guarantee, and if that fails, dispute the charge with your credit card company.

If I get the time, I'll snag something from one of the Microsoft peer-to-peer support newsgroups, but .. in the interim, it's my belief that the "CDO" thing isn't a Windows-XP" thing. I seem to recall that this is an install option of either Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Office (which includes Outlook) ..... historically, this was differentiated by "Corporate Mode" as compared to "Internet Mode" .. but as time marched on, Microsoft made other 'interesting upgrades' ....

I believe that Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) is on your Microsoft Office CD. It is not installed by default, but you can install it manually by running the Office Setup program. Run a Google search on "Collaboration Data Objects" to find out more.

I totally agree with Jeff G. that Outlook is not good for SpamCop reporting. I have tried many of the Outlook macros and plug-ins available for SpamCop reporting, but none of them works in a satisfactory manner. The basic problem is that Outlook does not retain the raw email message, so there is really no way for such a program to retrieve it.

The solution is, as Jeff suggested, to use Outlook Express ("Forward as Attachment" option) for SpamCop reporting. You can do that even if you are on an Exchange account, because many Exchange servers offer IMAP access in addition to MAPI access. The only two situations in which you are stuck with using Outlook and an add-on are (1) if your server offers MAPI only, or (2) you use Outlook to remove your email permanently from a POP3 server.

I'm grateful for the advice you've all sent. There seems to be a consensus that Outlook is unlikely to work with Spamcop, and a further attempt by the seller of the SpamControl Outlook Tool to provide a CDO installer has proved unsuccessful.

He has finally agreed to refund the cost, and I suspect that my invoking the 30 day guarantee helped. Thanks, Jeff G., for pointing out something which I had not noticed and should have.

I am reluctant to stop using Outlook (incidentally a CDO installation is not available on my original XP Office CD), and seem to be having some success in reporting spam using Mailwasher Pro.

Thanks again for your help.

Graham

I'm grateful for the advice you've all sent. There seems to be a consensus that Outlook is unlikely to work with Spamcop,

<snip>

29281[/snapback]

...It isn't that Outlook doesn't work with SpamCop., it just doesn't work 100% reliably. I use it, abeit with occassional hiccups.
He has finally agreed to refund the cost, and I suspect that my invoking the 30 day guarantee helped.

<snip>

29281[/snapback]

...Thanks for returning here to post that bit of good news! :) <g>

I ... seem to be having some success in reporting spam using Mailwasher Pro.

29281[/snapback]

Per I've been blacklisted,
Disable bounce "feature" of mailwasher, which is being stupidly and wrongly set by default Bounces are in effect what MailWasher is doing but only to valid and innocent parties email addresses (mailwasher may check email address for validity, before sending a bounce)

26240[/snapback]

I am reluctant to stop using Outlook

29281[/snapback]

I just wanted to add that using Outlook Express for SpamCop reporting does not generally require you to stop using Outlook completely. I use Outlook (which accesses my Exchange account via MAPI) for all my normal mailing needs and Outlook Express (which accesses the same account via IMAP) to report the occasional spam that makes its way into my Inbox. This combination works exceedingly well.

In addition to what swingspacers posted above, in a similar situation swingspacers and others can also use Outlook's calendaring/scheduling capabilities, which are not available in Outlook Express.

• 1 month later...
...It isn't that Outlook doesn't work with SpamCop., it just doesn't work 100% reliably.  I use it, abeit with occassional hiccups....Thanks for returning here to post that bit of good news!  :) <g>

29284[/snapback]

I'm afraid my good news was premature. Jeff H.'s promised refund never materialized and I am now trying to mobilize the credit card company. Luckily it's a small sum, but it's irritating to be treated like this. :angry: Graham

You may want to also notify the SpamCop Admins (who placed the link "SpamControl Outlook Tool by Hendrickson Software Components (Updated 8/20/2004 for recent SpamCop changes)" on How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? : Microsoft products), as well as the following:

Affinity Internet, Inc

ValueWeb Hosting Service

Telefonica Data USA

SAVVIS Communications

Federal Trade Commission

and Better Business Bureaus and Attorneys General for the following jurisdictions: Arlington, VA; Deerfield Beach, FL; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Miami, FL; and the USA.

You may want to also notify the SpamCop Admins (who placed the link "SpamControl Outlook Tool by Hendrickson Software Components (Updated 8/20/2004 for recent SpamCop changes)" on How do I get my email program to reveal the full, unmodified email? : Microsoft products), as well as the following:

Affinity Internet, Inc

ValueWeb Hosting Service

Telefonica Data USA

SAVVIS Communications

Federal Trade Commission

and Better Business Bureaus and Attorneys General for the following jurisdictions: Arlington, VA; Deerfield Beach, FL; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Miami, FL; and the USA.

30752[/snapback]

Thanks, Jeff. I'll follow up on some of these suggestions. I'm grateful for your advice.

Best wishes,

Graham

*Moderator* Merged your last 2 posts together properly to create one post.

Archived