Spamassassin & RBL...

cputerace

A very interesting question.

Since the FAQ refereces the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service and not the email service, I will assume that you have installed Spamassassin locally.

(Note: the email service only permits adjusting the required_hits entry)

I would agree with you that the setting "skip_rbl_check 1" seems strange. To quoted from the Spamassassin site:

To eliminate the use of a particular DNSBL, set the score to zero. Put lines like

score RCVD_IN_RFCI 0

score RCVD_IN_ORBS 0

score RCVD_IN_DSBL 0

in your local.cf if you don't want certain DNSBLs listed with RCVD_IN_*  50_scores.cf to be used. If you don't want any DNSBLs used, put a line like

skip_rbl_checks 1

in your local.cf

I have spamassassin on my hosting company, and i have full control over that, i tried to forward spam that spamassassin tagged as spam to spamcop, but it wasnt working. Should i just ignore anything spamassassin tags as spam and only forward stuff it miss's?

-Mike

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "wasnt working"

Also please state exactly how you forward spam and if all spam that is not flagged by spamassassin does process correctly and that only the spamassassin tagged messages do not process?

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "wasnt working"

Also please state exactly how you forward spam and if all spam that is not flagged by spamassassin does process correctly and that only the spamassassin tagged messages do not process?

29409[/snapback]

The spam that got tagged by spamassassin had the original message attached to it. I forwarded the message as an attachment (thunderbird) to spamcop and it bounced back saying it couldnt find the spam in the message.

If I understand you correctly, Spamassassin created an attachment from the orignal message, so when you forwarded the message created by Spamassassin as an attachment, you had in effect sent nested attachments. Try opening the original attachement created by Spamassassin and forwarding that as an attachment.

Also if you could post the tracking ULR or the bounced reply from SpamCop it would help in understanding exactly what is happening.

Thanks for posting the tracking ULR.

It appears that the headers from the orignal message are missing (most likely due to the way SpamAssassin is handling the message)

Since you are unable to forward the original message it would appear that you will have to fall back to the cut and paste method. But to do so, you will have to be able to open and copy the original headers. Can you do that? If not, you will not be able to report any of the messages that SpamAssassin has flagged.

You may also want to look at the SpamAssassin options to see if it is possible to have it simply add headers to the orginal message instead of making an attachment out of it. If that is possible, then you could go back to forwarding as an attachement.

Thanks for posting the tracking ULR.

It appears that the headers from the orignal message are missing (most likely due to the way SpamAssassin is handling the message)

Since you are unable to forward the original message it would appear that you will have to fall back to the cut and paste method.  But to do so, you will have to be able to open and copy the original headers.  Can you do that?  If not, you will not be able to report any of the messages that SpamAssassin has flagged.

You may also want to look at the SpamAssassin options to see if it is possible to have it simply add headers to the orginal message instead of making an attachment out of it.  If that is possible, then you could go back to forwarding as an attachement.

29430[/snapback]

Ok that sounds good. Any chance anyone out there knows how to set spamassassin to only add headers and not modify the original message?

Archived