Either I'm crazy, or Yahoo holds on to some spams for half a day

nei1_j

Received: from 199.217.115.33 (EHLO sequencemarket.pw) by 10.197.37.10 with SMTP; Sat, 3 Oct 2020 21:33:50 +0000
X-Apparently-To: x; Sat, 3 Oct 2020 21:33:51 +0000
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 17:32:47 -0400 (EDT)

The header says this email was processed around 1700 Hours my local (Eastern) time, +0400.  Other times are given as 2100 +0000.  So the times are consistent.

I know I checked for fresh spam multiple times last night.  I don't know exactly when it showed up, but it didn't show up when it was processed.  I just found the spam at 1000 hours, the day after, 17 hours after the spam was apparently processed. 

My hypothesis is that, for whatever reason, Yahoo held on to the spam for many hours, rending it useless for SpamCop reporting.

Am I interpreting the timeline correctly, that Yahoo is delaying delivering spams?  Anyone else notice this?  Even before their last corporate takeover, I've seen this behavior from some Yahoo spams.

Or, is it a trick by the spammer?

Thanks,

-n-

3 hours ago, nei1_j said:

Am I interpreting the timeline correctly, that Yahoo is delaying delivering spams?  Anyone else notice this?  Even before their last corporate takeover, I've seen this behavior from some Yahoo spams.

Or, is it a trick by the spammer?

The date in the receive line should be added by Yahoo's servers, and the spammer should not be able to trick the server into putting in the wrong date.  As it is possible that there could be a bug in Yahoo's servers that they might need to fix, it is more likely that Yahoo has either the wrong date or a problem with their server's ability to deliver email.  Yahoo should be the one to fix such a bug, queue processing, and the time on the servers.

Hi LKing.  You wrote:

> I don't know you.

Well, we've never been formally introduced.  But since my social graces stink, I'd better leave it to someone else.

"Administrator."  Cool.  Thanks for serving.

Hi Gnarley.

OK about Yahoo servers.  But this has been happening, occasionally, with Yahoo for sooooo long.  If it's their problem, then I guess they're uninterested in doing anything about it.  Personally, I set my clocks almost often enough that I should talk to my shrink about it.

Too bad their "wrong time" isn't some time in the future.  Then I could get extra-credit for reporting spam that hasn't even been sent yet.  Or something like that.

-n-

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/