[Resolved] Forum - E-Mail connection

Wazoo

Tried what I could, but ... bottom line is now waiting for JT to take a look ...

Issue is that the connection from the Forum to the SMTP engine appears to be stuck in a failed mode at presemt. This is impacting all the outgoing stuff, including forum subscription new-post notified, validation e-mails for new subscribers, PM notification e-mails ...

Again, with my limited access, all I can say is that the error log is growing ...

Nothing heard from JT, but noting that there are still folks successfully registering. For folks still missing a validation e-mail, can only suggest trying the "Resend Validation" link at the top of your logged-in screen ... when it works, that e-mail is sent within econds, so it should be obvious whether it got sent or got stuck in the error log ...

With a number of folks taking about forwarding issues, there may be more to the story ... though noting that this iplies issues with the SpamCop/CESmail systems ...

In checking the error logs within the Forum, I will note that there are a number of folks using HotMail , Yahoo, and GMail accounts ... let's note again that the Bulk/Junk folders need to be checked for incoming traffic also. I will note that to answer a query from Jeff G., I did log into the web-based connection of a GMail account ... lo and behold, all that traffic I thought I'd not received was showing up as spam .... no idea when a change was made there to make this decision (looks like about 1 July) ... but it is definitely a fairly recent change, as traffic prior to a couple of weeks ago arrived in the InBox with no problem.

Still nothing heard from JT, yet ..... no additions to the Forum e-mail error logs in a number of days, more users have registered since, so tagging this entry as Resolved now, based on no new complaints/data.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the error log in this thing accumlatiing data once again, I'm removing the "Resolved" status. Kicking off yet another e-mail asking JT for some assist, unfortunatly having to state that I've received no response from the previous 4 e-mails on this issue. Logs are showing errors for both registration/validation e-mails and "new post notifications" ... however noting that there are still some folks managing to register, so the failure isn't hard/permanent ..???

I have found that the new post notification has not work for a long time, and if I try to turn it on, it responds by saying that it is already active, or more precisely:

When clicking on "Track this topic" the reply is "Your are already subscribed to this topic or forum", but notifications are never received.

Will try to unsubscribe and re-subscribe and see what happens.

edit: unsubscribing and re-subscribing does fix the notification problem.

edit: The actual problem is that the notification type was deleted (something a user cannot do) The following statement currently found at the bottom of the screen may reveal the answer "Subscription auto pruning is switched off at present" This was probably turn on at some point in time and later turned off. The subscription notification type can be change in mass by going to your control panel and under "subscriptions" select either "View Topics" or "View Forums" Check the boxes to the right of each subscription that reads "Type: (without any data following it)" that you want to use the same type of notification with. Go to the bottom of the screen and click on the drop down box (default = unsubscribe) and change it to the type of notification you desire, note: "No Email Notification" is an option.

I have found that the new post notification has not work for a long time,

I just went through 20 pages of 'errors' but didn't see your registered e-mail account showing up, so it doesn't appear to be involved in this situation.

and if I try to turn it on, it responds by saying that it is already active, or more precisely:

When clicking on "Track this topic" the reply is "Your are already subscribed to this topic or forum", but notifications are never received.

Will try to unsubscribe and re-subscribe and see what happens.

30898[/snapback]

Not that it's all that clear, but ... have you looked at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4064 ?

OK, the last error showing in the logs in this app is dated 29th July 2005 - 12:04 PM. JT asked if the problem was still existing and based on this date, I'd have to say that whatever the issue was .. has been resolved.

Archived