Yes My Internet provider has been down for 32 hours.

Lking

On 3/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, gnarlymarley said:

having ISP issues again.

It seems that some one (The local power company) drove through town with their bucket up. They ripped the cable off of 5 poles before figuring out what that funny sound was.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:35 PM, Lking said:

... They ripped the cable off of 5 poles before figuring out what that funny sound was.

somehow this story reminds me of a peculiar bridge aka "can opener" aka (former) 11' 8" bridge (nor raised to 12' 4" yet still not enough)

(can be found on YT ;) )

glad you're back  :) and that it got sorted out 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Yes again! just 21 hrs this time. There was a town/area wide power bump yesterday. High winds. I thought they had dual source for the power.

Internet did not survive the bump. Some times I wonder why I chose to live here, then I look out the window...

Century link installed a new pedestal in my area.  It serves the next neighborhood over.  The problem with it is they didn't install a battery backup and it is fed by fiber.  So when my power goes out, they lose internet.  I am not sure if they will ever fix that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, gnarlymarley said:

Century link installed a new pedestal in my area.  It serves the next neighborhood over.  The problem with it is they didn't install a battery backup and it is fed by fiber.  So when my power goes out, they lose internet.  I am not sure if they will ever fix that.

I simply cannot believe that you're saying. It is incredible that Century link commits such a dumb mistake.

to be honest, "brief periods" to me can also mean several hours to even days as a "brief period" is not defined. I know, days is probably out of the question, but still, several hours until a satellite appears... could be a problem, and then, satellite outages happen, and solar storms will affect those even more and be able to knock them out temporarily or even permanently...

but I know what you mean ;)

Things are getting better. Sundays outage was only about 12 hrs. their one FaceBook post didn't know why but suggested maybe it was a bad repair from the last outage.

Discovered that RealVNC a "powerful & fully encrypted remote desktop software" that I have been mindlessly using to access an embedded headless Raspberry Pi, requires an operational internet to function. Never mind that both ends are connected to my LAN. An opportunity to do non-communication related things.

20 hours ago, Lking said:

Discovered that RealVNC [...] requires an operational internet to function.

That statement alone sends shivers down my spine... now I worry what information I might have been sending through the "ether" (even though hopefully encrypted) and who is getting that information... or who could access my devices without my knowledge...

On 5/3/2021 at 11:14 PM, Lking said:

Discovered that RealVNC a "powerful & fully encrypted remote desktop software" that I have been mindlessly using to access an embedded headless Raspberry Pi, requires an operational internet to function. Never mind that both ends are connected to my LAN. An opportunity to do non-communication related things.

Maybe instead get OpenVPN, or OpenVPN Connect. OpenVPN is completely open source and free, but like many open source projects, not the best docs. For OpenVPN Connect,  two free users, but not fully open source, and has a yearly license for more than two users. It is easy to set up. Neither requires internet to use.

Edited by KNERD

quoting from openvpn.net

You can connect to OpenVPN Cloud at various locations around the world. Our VPN regions cover Asia, Australia, Africa, America, Europe, and more.

My translation "Cloud" ==> 'Your data on someone else's computer'

@KNERD Thanks for the link. With just 2 free I get into the same fix I;m in now with 2 laptops and 3 embedded controllers. Well 1 embedded, 2 on the workbench, but still.

Looking at what I have, the required internet link is a "security feature." Each system is added to "My network" and there is a check before establishing a link.

ok, just to clarify:

VNC is Virtual Network Computing, which allows you to use another computer or system like "remote access", so you're basically running another system on the computer you are using. Just about any SBC (single board computer) e.g. Raspberry Pi or Arduino Mega are perfect examples thereof. You can attach keyboard and monitor to them, but using VNC is more efficient IMNSHO.

VPN, on the other hand, is Virtual Private network, which encrypts the information you are sending over the ether (my choice of word for the WWW) from the device you are using to the VPN server that you are accessing to then continue over the web.

They are two different beasts, and often VNC is run over a VPN connection.

Lking's "translation" is absolutely on point 🙂. The same can be said with VPN as 'Your internet traffic through someone else's server' where that server usually knows the data you are sending and can read it, but every system in between sees only garbled data.

Interestingly, you can install openVPN on RPi and connect from basically anywhere in the world to your home over VPN and then continue your connections from there ;) although currently I'm not sure if you can access it with VNC at the same time... haven't tried that one out yet.... (lack of time)

Thank you @RobiBue Any confusion may be my fault. My OP was an observation about the VNC I use to remotely access a Raspberry Pi I have in a system  (in an other room.) This connection happens to be all within my LAN i.e. addresses 192.168.x.x  all addresses behind the modem that connects me to the internet. As noted above, this is not a necessary restriction. The Raspberry Pi could be anywhere in the world with an internet connection. AND that introduces the security issue, The laptop I am using can be anywhere on the internet also.

To address this larger security issue, the VNC application I uses makes me create a "Network"; a list of all the IP addresses that can connect using the VNC.  Security issue (simplistically) solved. BUT creates the problem I posted. With the internet down I could not connect to the other computer on my LAN using the VNC, because network membership could not be check.

As an aside I also us a VPN on the computer I normally used to connect to the internet, (browser, email, google, etc.). This really boils down to who do you trust? Do I trust my ISP or my VPN provider more? In a world without network neutrality, I trust my VPN more than Version (or whoever). As a result, my ISP sees a stream of gibberish all to one IP address. At my VPN provider's server, in say Chicago, the stream is decrypted and put back on the internet. Fun fact: when I shop at Home Depot, they suggest I can pickup stuff at the Niles, IL 60714 store. If I connect to a different one of my VPN provider's servers I get different results.

This of course is different than the end-to-end encryption used by your bank.

1 hour ago, Lking said:

As an aside I also us a VPN on the computer I normally used to connect to the internet,

See if you can get a static IP from your VPN?
Mine offers this but at a extra US$30 a year,
I use WireGuard  not openVPN
problem for me the static IP is it is only available from Melbourne not Sydney (Australia),
this gives my financial sites a hernia!
They know I'm in Sydney. Melbourne is a 1,000Klm away.

Edited by petzl

6 hours ago, Lking said:

@petzl my chose is Private Internet Access  They do offer a fixed IP.. It is part of the package but I have not seen the need. I can select which server I connect to but like you the closest one a 6 hour drive away.

I also use  Private Internet Access (PIA). (just looked, PIA have gone from US$30 a year to US$60 for static IP)
Very easy to use, WIN10 "updates" often give my software/hardrive a glitch requiring  "sfc /scannow"
Strange things were turning/changing software settings? sfc fixes this annoying WIN10 feature
"Command Prompt" is changed to "Windows Powershell" but will still work if you type CMD?

Edited by petzl

19 hours ago, Lking said:

Thank you @RobiBue Any confusion may be my fault. My OP was an observation about the VNC I use to remotely access a Raspberry Pi [...]

No confusion (at least to me) as I understand exactly how those connectivity and security issues work 😋

I just wanted to clarify it because after your OP, another post about VPN followed up, and that is where I thought a clarification is/was needed.

Of course the problem is that as a private user with the "free" RealVCN version you can only use "Cloud Connect" which, as you mentioned, requires internet connectivity.

I hope your internet woes end soon and stability returns to the internet in the snow-capped mountain region ;)

Getting cut off from "civilization" (if you can call this like that) in different ways -- once during winter and then again through internet connectivity -- can get trying if it happens too often... or worse, at the same time...

I wish you and yours all the best :)

Edited by RobiBue

1 hour ago, RobiBue said:

Of course the problem is that as a private user with the "free" RealVCN version you can only use "Cloud Connect" which, as you mentioned, requires internet connectivity.

Who thought I would need more for hobby, non-critical, SW development?