Wrong Email Address in the To Box

you didn't mention what your "real" address is, but just going with what you provided, I'd guess that you'd want to see what's in the BCC: line (Blind Courtesy Copy) .... I'm guessing you'll either see your "real" address there or a "Recipients not provided/Listed" .. something like that ...

You're suggesting what's called a dictionary attack, spammer taking your "paul.r." and just adding some extensions to it, then shotgunning the whole mess out. You may see only the one address in the "To:" line, but there may be a couple of hundred addresses that were included in the "BCC:" line that you don't get to see the contents of, being stripped during handling (the "blind" part of the line title.)

On occassions I get mails from my pop server with different email addresses in the To box:

paul.r.worrall[at]ntlworld.com

paul.r.reed[at]ntlworld.com

Is this a fault of my ISP or spamcop?

Many Thanks

Paul R

Neither.

The To: address isn't actually the address that the email was sent to. The email address the email was sent to is actually in a hidden field that you can't see. It isn't part of the email headers at all.

Now, of course, most people generate email where the To: and this hidden address are the same. However, there's no need for them to be the same at all. In fact, the To: can be entirely missing and email works just fine.

What you're seeing is that a spammer is sending to a list of addresses sorted in alphabetical order. For every email, say to 10 people, he puts the first guy in the list on the To: line, but sends it to all 10 of you at once. So, you see an address that's close to yours on the To: line, but not yours.

JT

Archived