Command-Line Editor Wars

Farelf

Wazoo,

Seems like just yesterday but no, I've moved on, C:/Windows/Temp is the general default. Know where I can get an upgrade of Edlin for Windows?

Not surprised re Google definition - it's just I didn't want to use the Anglo-Saxon version of "naughty bits for a head", nor be sexist by specifying male naughty bits : ]

look for a port of "vi" ...

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

...Huh? Why not?

cause I can't remember the commands for more than 2 seconds :-)

After more than 20 years of using vi, my fingers remember very well. In fact, using any other editor is so unfamiliar, it's like using a non-qwerty keyboard for this touch-typist -- slows me down to perhaps 1/50 speed or worse.

And using this forum instead of trn is another paradigm shift. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old fart new tricks.

After more than 20 years of using vi, my fingers remember very well.  In fact, using any other editor is so unfamiliar, it's like using a non-qwerty keyboard for this touch-typist -- slows me down to perhaps 1/50 speed or worse.

And using this forum instead of trn is another paradigm shift.  Sometimes it's hard to teach an old fart new tricks.

I had to use vi in my first job (Minnesota Supercomputer Center -- I worked in Operations, basically babysitting the Crays, et. al.), because you never knew if you would have anything else able to load when there was an issue on the computers. I keep trying to learn other editors, but they just slow me down too much, and I always go back to vi.

It's like me trying to touch-type. I got good enough looking at the keys (I can do about 65 WPM looking at the keys -- I used to memorize the paragraphs and then type them in during a typing class I took) that it actually slows me down a bunch whenever I try to touch type. I can do it, but I go so slowly that I only ever try when I'm in a situation where I have to, like typing in the dark. :P I know in the long run it would be faster to just learn to touch type, but I just can't spend that long run time yet. :P

-JEV

Archived