[Resolved] NtlWorld.com

Equalliser

Hi

I have searched and not found the answer (sorry if I missed it)

my account here (which has money in it) cannot be accessed nor can I set up ntlworld as a mailhost in my new account (yes still more money)

when I try I get this message.

**************************** does not look like a valid email address.

any suggestions?

many thanks. :ph34r:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my account here (which has money in it) cannot be accessed

There are serveral types of accounts available. That you include "money" takes that down to two, paid-reporting or filtered e-mail account. As these are also based on two different parts of the system, contact points are also different. The type of account needs to be identified, the actual problem described .... when were you last able to access it? What is the exact error?

nor can I set up ntlworld as a mailhost in my new account (yes still more money)  when I try I get this message.

**************************** does not look like a valid email address.

31235[/snapback]

Again, what type of account has been skipped. I've not seen anyone make this complaint before about stepping through the MailHost configuration, so the easy guess from here is that you are trying to feed in something that "doesn't look like a valid e-mail address" .... a quick glance at the address used to register 'here' didn't raise any flags, but .....

Hi, Wazoo,

...As this appears to be about SpamCop e-mail and not SpamCop Reporting, please consider moving it to one of the SpamCop e-mail fora.  TY!

31255[/snapback]

Where do you get that information? Both the paid reporting account that comes with an email account and the paid reporting account available separately (Fuel) (as well as the free reporting accounts) have the capability of configuring mailhosts. If anything, it could be moved to the Mailhost forum but I would like an answer to Wazoo's questions before making that decision.

Steve T., what is your basis for that statement?  Thanks!

31257[/snapback]

...*BLUSH* Request deleted -- I didn't read carefully. It's pretty clear (although not conclusive) that this doesn't belong in "SpamCop Reporting Help" but it is also not yet clear in which forum it does belong....

Thanks for the replies.

I am just adding 'fuel' for spam reporting.

I had an account running for a while now and I had it configured for Ntl and Hotmail mail hosts. But I cannot log into my account anymore because I used an NTL email addy, spam cop does not recognise any of my NTL email accounts, even when I ask for lost passwords (although I use firefox and it remembers them all)

I opened a new account and it wont let me register mailhost NTL it say what I posted in my last post.

thanks I hope that helps, I am not a techy.

regards

I'm still confused but have some PM traffic ....

Reading the PM didn't help. Here I thought the posting was munged in the previous .. however, the PM contained the following .... I honestly don't have a clue as to just what kind of game is involved here ....

Hi

I have posted about NTL, my account was with the email addy, ****************************

when I ask spamcop for lost password, or I try and set up ntl in mailhost of my new account it says it does not recognise this email has being a proper one.

Anybody else that might have a clue as to what this user is trying to accomplish?

PM'd response was "I'm sorry, but I really don't care to spend time playing games."

Hi

I am sorry guys, I am more confused than you. What game?

I have sent a more detailed pm to Wazoo hopefully it may explain my problem.

I am only trying to use my account for reporting spam, I have given my account details and what I am saying is NTL is not accepted has a mailhost nor when I try a password retreival, also when I opened my new account it would not accept any ntl email addy's so I had to use a MSN one, with this account when I try and set up ntl has a mailhost it says **************************** does not look like a valid email address. (like my first post).

I login at http://www.spamcop.net/ and I add fuel at http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=paymenu I want only to reprt spam. (hope that helps, I could send pictures if it is easier) maybe this forum is not the same spamcop I am asking about?

By the way, I have an NTL email addy in this forum and there is no problem.

I am not techy so if those that are supposed to be cannot ask me the right question in laymans terms then just delete this thread

thanks, soryy if I wasted your time.

regards

Anybody else that might have a clue as to what this user is trying to accomplish?

31296[/snapback]

Well, my suspicion/guess/stab in the dark is that this guy/gal is attempting to request a reminder of his/her password by providing his/her Email address and the SpamCop system is replying by indicating that it doesn't recognise the offered Email address.

If my guess is correct (and only the OP can say) then it suggests the Email address provided isn't recorded. Not being a 'fuel' user I don't know about the system but could it be that his/her account expired for lack of fuel and his Email address therefore removed from the system?

The problem is the typical one of non-technical users (by this person's own admission) not articulating the steps to reproduce the problem.

I've long thought that the bugzilla bug reporting system for Mozilla based browsers is very good at collecting the necessary stuff to diagnose a problem and still wonder if a pro-forma would be a good way of capturing problems for these forums.

Andrew

I want only to reprt spam. (hope that helps, I could send pictures if it is easier) maybe this forum is not the same spamcop I am asking about?

By the way, I have an NTL email addy in this forum and there is no problem.

31312[/snapback]

You posted as I was typing my last message.

I'm sure you have come to the right place, but you are not explaining in a simple manner how to reproduce the issue.

I'd suggest a step by step explanation of how someone else could do what you are trying to do and an exact, word-for-word, reproduction of any error messages received.

As for your NTL Email address working here and not there, that's simply because it is a different set of programs and unconnected to main the main SpamCop data. So working here and not there does not indicate anything significant.

Andrew

...Equalliser seems to be telling us that several components of SpamCop Reporting: sign-up for a reporting account ("when I opened my new account it would not accept any ntl email addy's"), password retrieval ("nor when I try a password retreival"), and Mailhost configuration ("NTL is not accepted has a mailhost") do not understand her/his NTL e-mail address although he was able to sign up with an MSN address. Unfortunately, I don't see how we can make any intelligent guesses as to the cause of the problem without knowing what Equalliser's NTL address is and I don't think he should post that here. My guess as to the best thing to do at this point is to refer Equalliser to the SpamCop deputies. Before I do that, does anyone have any other suggestions?

...Equalliser seems to be telling us that several components of SpamCop Reporting: sign-up for a reporting account ("when I opened my new account it would not accept any ntl email addy's"), password retrieval ("nor when I try a password retreival"), and Mailhost configuration ("NTL is not accepted has a mailhost") do not understand her/his NTL e-mail address although he was able to sign up with an MSN address.  Unfortunately, I don't see how we can make any intelligent guesses as to the cause of the problem without knowing what Equalliser's NTL address is and I don't think he should post that here.  My guess as to the best thing to do at this point is to refer Equalliser to the SpamCop deputies.  Before I do that, does anyone have any other suggestions?

31356[/snapback]

Hi I have pm'd wazoo with headers of my account and email addy.

I try to set up an NTL mailhost with my new MSN account I did this

setup.jpg

then I got this message.

newaccountanswer.jpg

I ask for a password for the account I have had running for ages and I did this.

passrequest.jpg

and I get this message.

passanswer.jpg

I try to set up a new account I did this.

newaccount.jpg

I get this answer with any ntlworld addy's

newaccountanswer.jpg

I hope that helps, I cannot think of any other way

thanks

Hi I have pm'd wazoo with headers of my account and email addy.

I try to set up an NTL mailhost with my new MSN account I did this

http://www.ripway.com/members/getfile.asp?...092;setup%2Ejpg

<snip>

31357[/snapback]

...Thanks for trying to provide the additional information but these ripway links just bring up a login screen -- I presume it works for you because you have signed up as a member of ripway but I (and probably most of the others here in the SpamCop forum) am not.

For the benefit of all ..... some data from the last PM, edited and parts shifted around ....

Hi I am sorry I am xx yrs old and do not wish too play games, please explain.

I am sorry if you think I am playing games, I sent you the private message so I could tell you my account name and personal details, I did not want too post it in the forum.

The "playing games" comment was based on you providing nothing but *************** as the 'failed' address in your PM. Not sure where you would have expected anyone to go with that data .... (also noted in an e-mail that being xx years old made this user a number of years younger than myself ......)

My account was registered thru NTL email addy and the last time I got a forgort password was.

<snipped e-mail>

Someone (probably you) has requested that SpamCop reset your password.

Your username is: xxxxxxxxx[at]ntlworld.com

Your password has been reset to: xxxxxxxxx

since then it does not recognise any ntl addy's.

The words "any ntl addy's" bothers me. In this anove case, you'd only be worried about "one" address .... and you still haven't actually descibed the error condition/message. There's quite a difference between "no user by that name" and "wrong password" for instance.

I opened my new account and even now it won't let me set up any NTL accounts in mailhost. It says it is not a valid email, it wont even let me retrieve lost password, it says not a valid email addy.

Confusion remains ... you've not identified the type of this "new" account. Attempting to run the MailHost configuration suggests that you are able to login ..??? You've not identified the e-mail address you're then trying to plug in that is seen as "not valid" .... Then you move on to password recovery and an "invalid address" ....

I've got an e-mail out to this user, another e-mail out to Don .... but I'm still confused.

Naturally, only after sending out e-mails .... pulled over a laptop, went to www.spamcop.net, tried to log in with data provided in last PM ... cookie issues, as browser set not to accept ... was offered a choice for report-only or e-mail account types ... followed the report-only link .. ended up at members.spamcop.net ... typed in the data provided ... got the display ...

Welcome Equalliser. You have 3.8M bytes available.

Your average reporting time is: 5 hours; Great!

with the "paste-your-spam-in-the-box" form showing .... pretty as you please ....

So the Report-only account is still valid, you have Fuel remaining, and I am still confused as to what the "problem" boils down to, other than you apparently aren't typing in your account data / e-mail address correctly .....

I wrote to Equalliser directly so I can get the full details.

Ntl.com has rejected mail to him from SpamCop servers in the past, but it's old info and I don't know what's going on now.

I also sent him a new password, and I sent spam to his 'submit' address. My email hasn't bounced yet, and neither has our system mail.

Too early to be positive about the mail not bouncing though. If ntl.com isn't returning proper error messages when it refuses mail, it could take days before the delivery finally fails and I get a bounce.

- Don -

...Yes, that helps, thanks! :) <g>

...At this point, I believe your best course of action is to reply to Don, the Spamcop Deputy (31378[/snapback]), via e-mail. My initial reaction to what you posted was that you are logged in under your MSN account but trying to use your ntlworld account but my second thought is there's no reason that I know of that it shouldn't work, assuming your ntlworld account is one that follows e-mail id naming standards.

...Good luck!

...Yes, that helps, thanks! :) <g>

...At this point, I believe your best course of action is to reply to Don, the Spamcop Deputy (31378[/snapback]), via e-mail.  My initial reaction to what you posted was that you are logged in under your MSN account but trying to use your ntlworld account but my second thought is there's no reason that I know of that it shouldn't work, assuming your ntlworld account is one that follows e-mail id naming standards.

...Good luck!

31385[/snapback]

Hi

Yes I have replied to Don and wazoo' emails.

thanks all for the help.

regards

Kev

reply to Don, the Spamcop Deputy (31378[/snapback]), via e-mail.

31385[/snapback]

Please be aware that Don is a SpamCop Admin, not a SpamCop Deputy, although I hear he occasionally helps out the Deputies by dipping into their "fun-filled" Inbox. :)

I think the "************" business might be a firewall problem.  I suspect it's hiding your email address from us.

31391[/snapback]

Of all the hare-brained, misguided...

I suggest that Kev/Equalliser complain longly and loudly to NTL about such a restriction on its browsing capabilities, which restriction may be a breach of their contractual relationship.

Please be aware that Don is a SpamCop Admin, not a SpamCop Deputy, although I hear he occasionally helps out the Deputies by dipping into their "fun-filled" Inbox. :)

31390[/snapback]

...Thanks, Jeff.

...Apologies, Don!

Archived