Webmail only : Mailhost ?

Hello

I have been checking the Mailhost page and I find it a little.. confusing.

I am right now using the Webmail and I have 3 email accounts elsewhere.

Rather than forwarding from those accounts the emails to my spamcop.net

email, I use the Webmail [at]spamcop.net to gather using POP all the

emails and I only check them using the webmail then.

If I want to use the Mailhost thing, should I configure it directly right now

or do I need to configure each account so it forwards emails to my spamcop.net

account ?

You do not need to switch to forwarding to use the Mailhosts feature. It works fine with accounts that are polled via POP.

First make sure that Mailhosts is properly configured for your SpamCop account. Then add your other accounts (which are POPped by SpamCop) to the Mailhosts configuration. SpamCop will send probes to these email accounts that should end up in your webmail at some point, just like any other mail sent to these accounts. The probes will tell you what to do next. Good luck.

The purpose of Mailhosts, is not to catch more spammers, but is rather to help avoid reporting the innocent and specifically to help avoid reporting any of the servers used by you to forward your mail to its final destination.

Because of the wide use of forgeries contained in the headers, SpamCop has decided to report the source of spam as being the last server that handed the mail off to the first server used by you to receive mail. That is why it is important to register every server that you use.

The server (IP) being reported in many cases will not be the actual source of the spam, but it is the last known source that handled the spam before giving it to your agents. Any information contained in the headers prior to that point in the delivery system is subject to forgery and therefore cannot be fully trusted.

It's done. I have configured the Mailhosts for each of my 3 external accounts.

Seems to work fine and it was rather easy :)

So I need to wait some time before reporting any other spam or can I report spam as it gets into my Inbox as I have been doing until now ? :)

It's done. I have configured the Mailhosts for each of my 3 external accounts.

Seems to work fine and it was rather easy :)

So I need to wait some time before reporting any other spam or can I report spam as it gets into my Inbox as I have been doing until now ? :)

31638[/snapback]

Once you are complete your mailhosts and all are showing in the configuration, you can resume reporting, but use the full reporting (if you use quick reporting at all) for a while and check the reults make sense (you are not sending any reports to your various ISP's or MSP's improperly.

What is the "full reporting" exactly ?

The spam stuff I receive is mostly in the "Held emails" folder and sometimes I got some spam that falls into the INBOX. I either click on spams when subject is obviously a spam and report them as such, and when in doubt I open the spam and release/report it as spam as required.

I don't understand what you call the "quick reporting" exactly. Do you mean I have to open each spam and check it's really one before reporting them as such ? :unsure:

What is the "full reporting" exactly ?

31649[/snapback]

Please see the Glossary entry linked from the top of the FAQ for Quick Reporting. Full reporting is the normal way you start, where you see the parse and either Cancel or Send the report. Full reporting sends reports for both the source and and websites found. Quick reporting does not report the websites.

Archived