unable to delete some emails

Hello -

I get an ocassional email wanting to selling something that I am unable to delete. I have tried many different ways to delete all without success. I ended up moving all the "good" mail then deleting the inbox.dbx file in Win Explorer. A new inbox was created and I moved my mail back - but I keep getting these emails and don't want to jump thru these hoops everytime -

I also added them to my "Block Sender" list and was asked if I wanted to delete existing mail from this sender - it said it deleted them but they're still there -

Any suggestions?

Thx -

Post moved here as it is not a "Reporting Help" issue and is (in my opinion) an issue with the user's Outlook Express application.

COMCAST.NET,Aug 30 2005, 07:42 AM]then deleting the inbox.dbx file in Win Explorer.  A new inbox was created and I moved my mail back - but I keep getting these emails and don't want to jump thru these hoops everytime -

32203[/snapback]

Based on inbox.dbx, first guess is that Outlook Express is in use. The problem is, the wrong file has been manipulated. Shut OE down, then find and deleted the folder (in my case) Deleted Items.dbx .... then restart OE, which will create a new Deleted folder. Problem should be solved (until the next time)

These types of problems are usually caused due to the "Compact Messages in the Background" setting, dating back to OE3 .... This background compaction occurs at such a low level, Windows itself seems to forget about it. If this maintenance action is in process while shutting down (or a crash) .. those files get corrupted. Doing a Scandisk at next boot may (or may not) fix these files/folders, but ...

General guidance offered in the Microsoft peer-to-peer support newsgroups are to turn off this background maintenance action, but one needs to remember to then handle the clean-up/compaction of folders themselves.

Archived