Why "No source IP found"

In addition to the above, your concerns about reporting from webmail (with quick reporting enabled) seem to be directly addressed in the StevenUnderwood "How to Use" post : http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=23436

May I suggest, FF, that you also cast an eye over that?

33411[/snapback]

Are you sure it is possible to disable "Quick Reporting" ?

--

FF

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clicking on that link was the first thing I did.  That took me to a long page

with fine type.

I've no explanation for that, using IE6, Firefox 1.06 and 1.07, Safari

Rather than reading through the page from top to bottom

in the hope of finding that subject heading I used the browsers search

feature and the browser's search feature did not find that string on that page.

Maybe it is on that page but obscured from the bowser search feature by

soem HTML feature.

Once again, I just checked that under IE6, worked fine ... FireFox 1.06 worked just fine ...???? (Based on using your previously referenced string of "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" .. without Quote marks)

I have read the SpamCop FAQ that is hyperlinked from somwhere

near the SpamCop 'homepage" it is pretty sparse.   Oddly enough, you didn;t

include a hyperlink to it in your reply.  Do you have touble finding it yourself?

33567[/snapback]

Geeze .... with all the links I've put into place, why the h*** would you "need" yet another link? You have your choice of two links at the top of this very page. I have no idea what page you visited that would be seen as "sparse" .. unless you are talking about the www.spamcop.net FAQ found via the "Help" button on the www.spamcop.net web page .... which has not been referenced by anyone here .. the SpamCop FAQ referenced "here" is the Forum version of that FAQ, the www.spamcop.net version incorporated and converted to a single-page access point, much additional content added, constantly updated (all things that led to the creation of the Forum version of that FAQ)

Are you sure it is possible to disable "Quick Reporting" ?

33569[/snapback]

Actully, I do not believe that as a user that you have any way to disable quick reporting within WebMail.

I personally would like to see a full report option made available with in WebMail

No worries. My SpamCop email account will expire soon.
Sorry to hear that is how you feel. It is true that direct management support is missing, but the forum and newsgroups do provide peer to peer suport. Sorry that you have not found it helpful.

Actully, I do not believe that as a user that you have any way to disable quick reporting within WebMail.

I personally would like to see a full report option made available with in

33573[/snapback]

I need to look in my archives,but I might have an update for that FAQ. I do think quick reporting is now the only option for webmail.....unless you forward from the message listing screen to your submit address. I asked JT about converting back and I think he told me not possible, all quick reporting.

Red Sox on right now...will check tomorrow ;)

There are three ways to submit from the Held Mail directory.

33568[/snapback]

That's a mailbox/Folder, not a directory.
1) Quick reporting --  I do not get to see how it parses.

33568[/snapback]

Sure you do, in the "SpamCop Quick reporting data" email message you get after the fact.
2) Submitting to the queue -- See above

33568[/snapback]

No, you get to see the "technical details" if your previous parse showed "technical details" and you click "Report Now" for a message queued via VER or via email submission.
3) Cutting and pasting from the View Source window.

33568[/snapback]

That's copying and pasting.

Since it has become clear that you are discussing your SpamCop Email System Account, I have moved this Topic from the SpamCop Reporting Help Forum.

Edit: disregard this entire post as it has been proven to be in error, see following posts

No, you get to see the "technical details" if your previous parse showed "technical details" and you click "Report Now" for a message queued via VER or via email submission.

33579[/snapback]

Not quite right.

The "technical details" check box is available at all times. Just make sure it is checked before clicking on "Report Now" if you want to see the technical details or blank if you do not want to see them. The check box remembers the previous state. The SpamCop default is un-checked.

The setting is in your preference file:

Show Technical Details during reporting

Simple output
     Show technical data

SpamCop can reveal the logic it uses as it finds the right reporting parties for your spam. This can be helpful for advanced users who want to double-check SpamCop's logic, or for new users who want to learn from SpamCop's example.

Note: that this setting gets changed automaticly each time you check or un-check the box in the reporting screen, which is why it remembers it's previous state.

dbiel, I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. The status of the "Show technical details" Checkbox is only POSTed with the "submitspam" form (when the "Process spam" Button is clicked), not when the "Report Now" Link is clicked. The "Report Now" feature relies on the previous status of the account, as to whether or not technical details are to be shown. A snippet of the actual code (munged) follows - see for yourself.

<strong>Unreported spam Saved:

<a href="[b][i]Tracking URL[/i][/b]">
Report Now</a></strong>
<br>You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported.
Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this
spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel"
instead of submitting the report!

<br><a href="/w3m?action=removeunreported&authcode=16charANcodeNMBR"
onclick="return sure()">
Remove all unreported spam</a>
<p><form method="post" action="/sc" name="submitspam"
onsubmit="return formval(50000);"
enctype="multipart/form-data"
accept="text/plain"
accept-charset="ISO-8859-1">
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="submit">
<input type="hidden" name="oldverbose" value="1">
Forward your spam to: <a href="mailto:submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net">
submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net</a> or:
<br>
Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) - or - single address (one line only):

<br>
<textarea class="widetext" name="spam" rows=7 cols=80
wrap="off"></textarea><br>

<input type="submit" name="x1" value="Process spam">
<input type="reset" name="x2" value="Clear Form">
<input type="checkbox" name="verbose" value=1 checked>Show technical details</form>[/CODEBOX]

Edit: skip this post and refer to the posts that follow which clear up the confusion.

Jeff, you have me a bit confused.

Unless your screen show something different than mine, if you continue to scroll down you will see the paste in box and below that:

the "process spam" button, the "clear form" button followed by the "Show technical details" check box.

My guess is that it is simply below the initial screen view and must be scrolled down to. (On my screen, it is the last line of the initial view, so no scrolling is required by me, but there is still more information to scroll down to)

Of course, if you are using the two box paste form it will never show in the initial window view (must be scrolled down to).

If not, could you post the URL you are referencing?

I have tested for myself, and readers are invited to test for themselves, using the following Steps:

1. Report a spam message using the Parser, noting the status of the "Show technical details" Checkbox and whether or not technical details are shown.
  2. Queue a spam message for reporting via email.
  3. An alternative for Steps 1 and 2 above (for those who paste in their spam rather than queueing it for reporting via email) is to paste a spam in, noting the status of the "Show technical details" Checkbox, click the "Process spam" Button, noting whether or not technical details are shown, and click the "Report spam" Button in the top left corner of the page.
  4. Change the status of that Checkbox. My contention is that the status of that Checkbox at this point of the test procedure is immaterial.
  5. Click the "Report Now" Link to parse the spam message you queued for reporting.
  6. Note whether or not technical details are shown. My contention is that whether or not "technical details" are shown will remain the same as it was in when you started the test.
  7. Once your Report(s) is/are sent (via the "Send spam Report(s) Now" Button, note the status of that Checkbox as the Parser is ready to accept your next pasted spam message. My contention is that it will remain in the same state it was in when you started the test.

I see your point now.

The reporting window is actually two separate unrelated windows displayed as one window.

The technical details check box only relates to the copy and paste portion of the window.

The "Report Now" uses the preference settings and never looks at the status of the check box.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So the simple answer is, if you want to show the technical detail, make sure your preferences are set to show them (which you can do before clicking on "Report Now"

No, you get to see the "technical details" if your previous parse showed "technical details"

33579[/snapback]

Agreed. By above I meant not (1) above, but hte paragraph preceding (1).

If I submit to the queue I have to work through everything else in the queue

to get to it.

--

FF

<snip>

If I submit to the queue I have to work through everything  else in the queue

to get to it.

33708[/snapback]

...Drat, I hate taking things out of context but since you haven't provided the context I'm going to simply reply to what you've written. If you submit your spam via e-mail as attachment(s), you get tracking URLs returned to you that you can use to access the queue in any order you wish.

If you submit your spam via e-mail as attachment(s), you get tracking URLs returned to you that you can use to access the queue in any order you wish.

33710[/snapback]

Does that method remove the reported spam messages from your reporting queue as you report them? Sorry, I don't remember, it's been a while since I used that method.

Does that method remove the reported spam messages from your reporting queue as you report them?  Sorry, I don't remember, it's been a while since I used that method.

33720[/snapback]

Yes it does remove them from the queue.

For more information see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4927 which is still under construction.

Archived