[Resolved] Multiple Hotmail addresses prob.

Greetings

I want to use spamcop to filter more than 1 hotmail address. I have no problem with the POP3 configuration, and I got the first hotmail address configured in Mailhosts OK, but when I try to add the 2nd to my mailhosts entries it always over-writes the first.

Also, no matter what I specify in the Mailhost Name it gets called simply "Hotmail". Tried deleting the first entry and starting again, got same prob.

Does this matter, do I just need 1 mailhosts entry for hotmail?

Thanks in anticipation ....

Julesthebit

There's been a lot of work that went into the Pinned entries here, many previous Topics/Discussions, on and on ... instead of waiting for an answer, one might have read some of that previously posted stuff ..... No, it is not the e-mail address that drives the MailHost configuration ... MailHost starts with the "place that hosts your e-mail" ... then gets complicated if there are other "Hosts" in the mix, example one Hosted account forwards to another Hosted account .. again, it's not the e-mail address, it's the Hosts involved ...

Does this matter, do I just need 1 mailhosts entry for hotmail?

32432[/snapback]

Wazoo has attempted a fuller explanation. But the simple answer is No and Yes. No, it doesn't matter and Yes, you need just one mailhost entry for each mail server you collect from.

Andrew

There's been a lot of work that went into the Pinned entries here, many previous Topics/Discussions, on and on ... instead of waiting for an answer, one might have read some of that previously posted stuff ..... No, it is not the e-mail address that drives the MailHost configuration ... MailHost starts with the "place that hosts your e-mail" ... then gets complicated if there are other "Hosts" in the mix, example ome Hosted account forwards to another Hosted account .. again, it's not the e-mail address, it's the Hosts involved ...

32433[/snapback]

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. I read the pinned entries/FAQs but wasn't sure how it applied specifically to Hotmail and whether my hotmail accounts might have separate hosts.

Julesthebit

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. I read the pinned entries/FAQs but wasn't sure how it applied specifically to Hotmail and whether my hotmail accounts might have separate hosts.

32435[/snapback]

You're welcome. MSN Hotmail (like many other large-scale Email Service Providers) has lots of separate hosts, but they're all tied together in that one Mailhosts entry.

You're welcome.  MSN Hotmail (like many other large-scale Email Service Providers) has lots of separate hosts, but they're all tied together in that one Mailhosts entry.

32441[/snapback]

Jeff

"All tied together" was the part that was not clear to me, and why I posted the question ... when it was still not clear to me after reading the pinned entries and FAQs. I know that POP3 facilities are not available on more recent Hotmail accounts and I wondered if there was a difference Mailhosts needed to consider.

It doesn't matter too much, but out of interest, why is the name set to "Hotmail" regardless of what I specify? Seems strange to offer the facility to specify a name but sometimes to ignore it.

Thanks again for your help and tolerance.

Best, Julesthebit

It doesn't matter too much, but out of interest, why is the name set to "Hotmail" regardless of what I specify? Seems strange to offer the facility to specify a name but sometimes to ignore it.

32462[/snapback]

Once again, pointing to the Pinned entries (and previous discussions) .... "your" Host data is entered into and uses a "shared" database.

Once again, pointing to the Pinned entries (and previous discussions) .... "your" Host data is entered into and uses a "shared" database.

32463[/snapback]

In other words, the first person to name a new mailhost, gets to name it unless the deputies get involved in changing it. By now, the majority of mailhosts should be named.

Archived