Firefox: Can't view inline images anymore.

If you use webmail.spamcop.net with Internet Explorer, and someone sends you a .gif or .jpg attachment, you can click on the attachment's name at the top of the message page to view it.

With Firefox, when you try to do so, you get this message:

Your browser does not support inline display of this image type.

Yet, if you _download_ the attachment and then drag and drop it onto a Firefox window, it displays just fine.

Can this be fixed?

I don't plan on ever going back to IE, and this is the sort of thing that will only get more annoying over time.

Thanks.

Hmmm .... not able to replicate the problem.

Menu "Tools" "Options" "Web Features" section, presume you have "Load Images" checked? Nothing complicated in the "Exceptions"? Can't see what that might do but it's the nearest to a relevant configuration setting that I can see offhand.

[added]

Nope, that's not it, just tried turning it off and it made no diff, image still loads for me (attglobal webmail). Back to the drawing board

I get that error a lot and I use Mozilla. From what I can gather, it's mainly from people that use programs/mail clients that drop pictures/html data into the email, rather than send it as an attachment.

If you're using SC Webmail, then you have to download the file, rather than "view it inline" which means view it as an HTML document in the email. If you were using Inbox, that pic would load right into the email itself, but Mozilla sees that as a potential virus, so it requires downloading of the file/picture.

Ask the sender if they're using Inbox, Hotmail, Yahoo or any of the other web-based emails that send AS html... if so, ask them to send to you as a RICH TEXT FILE and the problem will be solved.

I have seen this problem in Firefox also: an image is attached to an email I view with SC webmail, I click on one of the attachment links so I can see the pic, and then get the error. I'm all for defending myself against nasty images, but in this case, I have taken an action to see the image -- I had to click on it. The browser does not load or show that image without this positive confirming action on my part. So it's my own fault if it turns out to be something I actually didn't want to see, let's not confuse issues.

If the image can be loaded in IE but not firefox, then very possibly it's a odd MIME type being sent in these cases -- anyone know what type is sent?

I'm puzzled by the suggestion to send email (picture?) as a rich-text file. If someone sends a jpg file as an attachment, how does it matter whether the email is text, rich text, or html?

chris...

I'm puzzled by the suggestion to send email (picture?) as a rich-text file.  If someone sends a jpg file as an attachment, how does it matter whether the email is text, rich text, or html?

32526[/snapback]

At best, I'll use the word "encapsulation" to suggest the difference. On the other hand, I'd not make the same suggestion, based on known issues out there. For instance (and in general) someone composing an RTF e-mail using Outlook and sending it off to an Outlook Express user usually hears about a "blank e-mail" being received. Sending an e-mail with multiple graphic files included to an AOL user from a non-AOL application either results in a single gaphic file showing or (notmally) no graphic files available, basically one picture per e-mail scenario.

• 5 weeks later...

What's the answer? Of all the annoyances of FireFox that are about to make me into an IE user, this is the one.

If I click on a .jpg link, I want that image to show up in Firefox.

I do NOT want to be told some geeky nonsense about inline images.

How could the FireFox numbnuts have let this happen?

What's the answer? Of all the annoyances of FireFox that are about to make me into an IE user, this is the one.

If I click on a .jpg link, I want that image to show up in Firefox.

I do NOT want to be told some geeky nonsense about inline images.

How could the FireFox numbnuts have let this happen?

33852[/snapback]

I think you are assuming this is Firefox's fault.

Firefox could just be revealing another software's bugs. It could just be that the person who sent you the email ... or it could be the horde software not being configured properly. Firefox does its best job to follow standards ... which means if things break, it's usually due to others not following them. You may not be seeing this "problem" in IE, because IE is known to support non standard-compliant code, and fix other's mistakes.

As an analogy to what you're doing, it would be like if you couldn't hear someone during a phone call and you just assume it's your crappy Nokia cell phone screwing things up ... when it could actually be the carrier or the other person's phone. But, Nokia has no business building phones which fix errors caused by 3rd parties, rather it's up to those 3rd parties to not provide poor service.

Just because IE fixes other people's mistakes doesn't mean it's Firefox's fault you can't access the image.

Nothing personal, I am (1) just sticking up for Firefox, and (2) pointing out a (possible) flaw in your thinking.

In the end it could be that it really is Firefox's fault, in which case you may want to submit a bug to bugzilla, or better yet discuss it at the mozillazine forums so that people can see if the bug is already being worked on. (BTW, if this had happened to you in IE rather than Firefox, you be SOL right now -- but luckily Firefox is open source and you can tell the developers and the community what your problem is)

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen this problem in Firefox also: an image is attached to an email I view with SC webmail, I click on one of the attachment links so I can see the pic, and then get the error.  I'm all for defending myself against nasty images, but in this case, I have taken an action to see the image -- I had to click on it.  The browser does not load or show that image without this positive confirming action on my part.  So it's my own fault if it turns out to be something I actually didn't want to see, let's not confuse issues.

If the image can be loaded in IE but not firefox, then very possibly it's a odd MIME type being sent in these cases -- anyone know what type is sent?

I'm puzzled by the suggestion to send email (picture?) as a rich-text file.  If someone sends a jpg file as an attachment, how does it matter whether the email is text, rich text, or html?

32526[/snapback]

In Firefox: Tools>Options>Web Features>Load Images

Uncheck the box "for the originating web site only"

I noticed it when I couldn't see mapquest or maps.google.

Archived