[Resolved] WHAT IS Supposed receiving system not associated w

Since moving to the new version, I have not been able to report a single spam. Everyone I submit to Spamcop comes back with the following message: "Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts."

What exactly does this message mean? Secondly, even if the header information is false, the "reply to" address in the spam message body must be OK. Why is this not being reported?

That message means that you have not configured Mailhosts correctly to handle the spam you're feeding the Parser. Can you provide a sample Tracking URL and the domain name of the recipient email address? Thanks!

The Parser doesn't deal with email addresses in spam headers or bodies, except to munge them. Reporting them is felt to be a lost cause, as such a large proportion of them are forged.

Since moving to the new version,

There is no "new" version ...????

I have not been able to report a single spam. Everyone I submit to Spamcop comes back with the following message: "Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts."

What exactly does this message mean?

In general, it means you started the MailHost configuration of your reporting account, but did not finish it ... much less follow the guidance to ensure that things were OK before attempting to report any spam.

Secondly, even if the header information is false, the "reply to" address in the spam message body must be OK. Why is this not being reported?

32570[/snapback]

The reporting of e-mail addresses was halted a number of years ago.

By "new version" I mean the latest, which requires mailhosts to be registered. The "other" version I used for the past two years did not have this requirement.

I have read and followed every instruction regarding the registering of mailhosts. I see nothing else I can do. When I obtained the mailhost window, the various parameteres were already selected... all I did was OK them. It gives me two mailhost names, one host domain, one email address and two relaying/IP's.

I'm using Outlook Express 6 and as far as I can tell, obtaining the decoded spam message is no different for this version than it was two weeks ago, when Spamcop was quite happy with the decoded spam under the (older) "other" version.

Please be specific about "the latest, which requires mailhosts to be registered" - where is this "requirement"?

Did you get the two emails sent to you via your two Mailhost names during the Mailhost System Configuration Process?

Did you follow the directions those emails contained?

Did you do that by forwarding as attachment or by copying and pasting into a webform?

What happened next?

Please see the Warning in Mailhost System Configuration Explanation.

Thanks!

I'm going to have to ask someone else about the "new version" ... in the mean time, you say you've read "everything" ... how does the set-up under the "new" version compare to the step-by-step procedure written up as an entry in the SpamCop FAQ here? (Titled: NEW! One version of a Step-by-step MailHost set-up ) Have you read the Pinned entries in this Forum section?

Please be specific about "the latest, which requires mailhosts to be registered" - where is this "requirement"?

Did you get the two emails sent to you via your two Mailhost names during the Mailhost System Configuration Process?

Did you follow the directions those emails contained?

Did you do that by forwarding as attachment or by copying and pasting into a webform?

What happened next?

Please see the Warning in Mailhost System Configuration Explanation.

Thanks!

32579[/snapback]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By latest version, I meam "New System" as described in how to edit mailhost configuration. I only received one email from Spamcop and did all the required steps as outlined in that email... or so I thought! I normally keep these emails, but somehow this one was inadvertently deleted, but as I recall, it is identical to the information given in the Warning URL given above. I thought everything went like clocwork and all was normal until I found that I could not longer send spam reports as before (i.e. over the last two years) because of the "error" messages Spamcop was sending back to me. The following message is what I receive every time:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No unique hostname found for source: (I deleted the IP)

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

Nothing to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have forwarded emails to Spamcop, but I prefer to copy & paste. In either case, I get the same response.

Since moving to the new version, I have not been able to report a single spam. Everyone I submit to Spamcop comes back with the following message: "Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts."

That error usually means the headers are incomplete, or you haven't told the Mailhost system about the ISP that is handling that particular email for you.

Send me your username (email address) and I'll take a look at your account. Maybe I can explain. Email me directly at service at admin.spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service at admin.spamcop.net

http://www.spamcop.net/

Via e-mail, Don also states;

I'm unaware of anything making Mailhost configuration mandatory.

It's an all-or-nothing deal, though.  Once the process is started, the user

has to account for all his hosts or some of his spam won't process

correctly, or at all sometimes.  Or he has to delete what he has and go

back to no hosts at all.

I'm assuming the user is saying the 'old version' is before he started

configuring his Mailhosts.

So, I'll stand on the "there is no 'new'" statement.

Via e-mail, Don also states;

So, I'll stand on the "there is no 'new'" statement.

32583[/snapback]

This problem began when I started the hostmail configuration. How do I undo this step, should we be unable to solve this current issue. As mentioned earlier, when I opened the mailhost configuration window, Spamcop already knew who I was, with all required info... all I did was confirm what Spamcop already knew.

This problem began when I started the hostmail configuration. How do I undo this step, should we be unable to solve this current issue. As mentioned earlier, when I opened the mailhost configuration window, Spamcop already knew who I was, with all required info... all I did was confirm what Spamcop already knew.

32584[/snapback]

Don found the problem... all OK now! Thanks

Just so everyone will know what resolving the issue entailed...

The actual servers currently handling his mail were not included in the registration for his host. Even though the servers clearly belonged to the same network, they were not on the list, and SpamCop wouldn't accept them.

I fixed that by putting the basic domain name on the host registration so that it doesn't matter which server handles the mail, SpamCop will still accept it as belonging to his network.

I don't know why SpamCop didn't put in the basic domain name to start with. Possibly because the mail servers all look like dialup names.

- Don -

Don found the problem... all OK now! Thanks

32585[/snapback]

Technically, the Pinned items were referenced a couple of times. Had you actually read them, you would have found that a query upstream would have been the next step. In this instance, I circumvented that as you had described the "new" with an addititional "required" statement .. thus I did the 'query upstream' thing (only to find out that there is no 'new' thing) ....

In answer to another of your questions, I believe that there is a 'Delete' option available on the MailHost configuration screens.

At any rate, glad things got fixed ... marking this as Resolved.

Archived