[Resolved] Do I need to add my correct SMTP?

When I registered my Mailhost, it gave me my correct Pop3 address where I receive email.

One would assume that this was because this is the address you supplied ..???

However, it used my domain's ISP's SMTP, which I don't use to send email.

Not known how this connects, as you really didn't say where the POP3 address was located.

I send email from my Cable ISP's SMTP.  Do I need to add this SMTP for my registration to be complete?

32699[/snapback]

A bit confusing ... You have an ISP e-mail account that you 'send' e-mail from but have somehow managed to never receive any e-mail / spam at that account? The point is ... if you're going to report spam received at any account in the future, all hosts involved in handling your e-mail need to be added now that you've started the configuration process.

Hi Wazoo. With respect, I must say that StevenUnderwood's response makes more sense to me than yours did. Will you read his response and see if you agree with it?

Pop3 is the way I receive my email. That comes from the ISP that hosts my domain and my email account.

SMTP is the way I send my email. That comes form my Cable company.

I don't know how to explain it more clearly than that. This is how my Outlook Express is set up.

StevenUnderwood said that Mailhost registration isn't concerned with how I send email, only with how I reveive it.

If you agree with him, then my question is answered and my Mailhost registration is correctly and completely set up.

I do not use any forwarding email accounts.

Hi Wazoo. With respect, I must say that StevenUnderwood's response makes more sense to me than yours did. Will you read his response and see if you agree with it?

We both said the same thing. Now that you've started the MailHost configuration, all servers involved that you will report incoming spam from in the future need to be added. StevenUnderwood's words are based on that you will never report any spam received at your ISP's InBox/server. My words were based on the disbelief that you will never receive any spam at that e-mail address.

We both said the same thing.  Now that you've started the MailHost configuration, all servers involved that you will report incoming spam from in the future need to be added.  StevenUnderwood's words are based on that you will never report any spam received at your ISP's InBox/server.  My words were based on the disbelief that you will never receive any spam at that e-mail address.

32748[/snapback]

I think I used fewer words which made it easier as I also mentioned the possibility that his ISP account would need to be registered "If you receive spam you wish to report through your ISP account".

Correct. I do not receive mail through any account from my Cable company.

What puzzled me is that when I registered, there were two servers it suggested I set up. One was an SMTP. I unchecked it. It is impossible to receive email through an SMTP as far as I'm aware. That's what confused me.

I will assume that I am now correctly set up and that I can continue to report spam through Mailhost unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks.

What puzzled me is that when I registered, there were two servers it suggested I set up. One was an SMTP. I unchecked it. It is impossible to receive email through an SMTP as far as I'm aware. That's what confused me.

32758[/snapback]

Though you may have some unique and strange setup involved, just because you aren't checking for e-mail at your cable company's e-mail server doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. when you reference the MailHost data tables as listing something, please once again look at the Pinned entries (at least) .. that data is "shared" and who knows what person may have plugged in something that said SMTP for (possibly) the same server. There was a cesmail server that just this morning got "corrected" after being seen as being identified as a HotMail server.

Basic point, when your cable provider 'installed' your account, the norm would be that your e-mail account has acces to both POP and SMTP.

I will assume that I am now correctly set up and that I can continue to report spam through Mailhost unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks.

32758[/snapback]

Wait a second...to simplify, every piece of email is delivered through SMTP servers to a storage location. Then, as you have stated, you collect the messages via POP3 (or IMAP, etc.) from that storage location.

If there were 2 servers presented during the config, it is because your email service uses 2 servers to accept your email (usually a primary and backup), they were both SMTP servers and both should have been left checked. If I were you, I would re-send the probes and return all that are offered.

To clarify, the fact that a server is named "SMTP" has nothing to do with its actual function. It could be used to both send and receive mail.

If you forward mail from/through server (domain) X it should be registered as it will add headers to the mail that the parser will need to process.

If you are forwarding it as an attachment, you could get away with out registering it, but it would still be to your benifit to register it since why would you ever what to report the server that you are using even if it were a source of spam. It is not in your best interest.

If there were 2 servers presented during the config, it is because your email service uses 2 servers to accept your email (usually a primary and backup), they were both SMTP servers and both should have been left checked.  If I were you, I would re-send the probes and return all that are offered.

32763[/snapback]

I tried. But the original screen that had the two check boxes never appeared again. I don't know how to get back to that point.

What should I do?

Archived