Problem With Send Mail Attachments

cissp

I have a problem sending mail with attachments, in that half the time I do, the attachment isn't being included with the mail message. I have verified this by including a copy to Sent Mail, and there I see where half my messages are going out without a file I attached. Since I have a software firewall, I temporarily disabled it while sending mail, just to ensure it wasn't blocking outbound attachments. This has happened regularly both on my home network, as well as using my Spamcop account at work. These are two OS's, W2K and XP Pro. Anyone have any idea why files are not attaching to my sent mail so often?

Thanks,

Chuck

Further details to check would include things like file size, file type, file name, etc. All you've siad thus far was "I attached files" .... your e-mail provider has a 1Meg cap on file size, due to their anti-viral configurations, no "executable" file name are passed .... just some other possible reasons offered up ...

Further details to check would include things like file size, file type, file name, etc.  All you've siad thus far was "I attached files" ....  your e-mail provider has a 1Meg cap on file size, due to their anti-viral configurations, no "executable" file name are passed ....  just some other possible reasons offered up ...

Sorry about not providing more detail for my query. In all instances, the file attachments have been MS Word documents, so all have had a ".doc" extension. Also, the file size has averaged between 30-60KB, and never anything larger than that. I do understand some of the limitations an ISP or one's corporate POP3 server could put on file attachments, in terms of mail filters, AV, and policy. I'm actually a security engineer, so I'm well familiar with that area. As I said, though, this problem seems to occur 50% of the time I'm sending mail with these ".doc" extensions. Once I review a message I just sent in the Sent Mail folder, and determine that it did not include the attachment, I retransmit it back to the recipient and this subsequent transmission then includes the attachment (although sometimes it requires a third attempt).

Having said all that, the fundamental question remains the same: Why are approximately half of my messages with attachments not including the attachment?

Thanks,

Chuck

Still not sure "we" (at least I) am up to speed. OK, you've identified file typr, extension, size, but I'm still missing some other stuff .. You've mentioned that 2 OS's are involved, but then go on to say "at work with SpamCop" which is intersting in and of itself .. as there are so many different types of accounts and interfaces these days .. and then you include "my home network", but don't mention SpamCop in that part of the sentence ... You still haven't mentioned the app used for e-mail at either place. So, in all honesty at this point, is this a SpamCop issue, or is this an e-mail issue that you're asking about in the SpamCop E-mail Forum (usually dealing with issues of either e-mail'd spam submittals or the web-based e-mail account?) Not trying to make it rough here, but am not sure where to start ... can't recall this being a complaint item in the years I've been using the SpamCop tool set.

Hi, Chuck!

...Might your e-mail server or provider be stripping the attachment?

It sounds to me (and the fact he posted in SpamCopEmail) like his e-mail server is SpamCop webmail.

And he states the attachment is not showng up in his held mail folder, indicating that it never was attached.

Since attachments would start out on the local machine, perhaps they are failing to get transmitted successfully to the webmail server. I have only used attachments a couple times but never had a problem. I also do not save my outgoing messages to held mail (webmail is my emergency backup).

And he states the attachment is not showng up in his held mail folder, indicating that it never was attached. ...

I also do not save my outgoing messages to held mail (webmail is my emergency backup).

ITYM "Sent Mail", not "held mail".

I will provide more details, in hopes that we can all get "up to speed" in understanding my issue. I am using Spamcop web-based mail (as opposed to using a mail client, such as Outlook, Eudora, etc). At work, I'm accessing my web-based Spamcop email account on a XP Pro machine, and although my primary web browser is Firefox, I have used Firebird, Mozilla, Opera, and IE, all producing the same problem with the mail attachments. On "my home network", I'm using one host exclusively, and it's running W2K, using all the aforementioned web browsers, but again, Firefox primarily.

"...but then go on to say "at work with SpamCop" which is intersting in and of itself " Really? Why is that? I find it fairly common for people to access web-based email accounts from work, since all that is required is a web browser. Having said that, perhaps we can now say this is an issue with using the Spamcop web-based email feature, and using two different Windows OS's and several web browsers are producing the same problem with attachments. That being the case, if someone feels this is indicative of a problem that needs to be addressed in another forum, so be it. If so, please let me know and I'll go to that appropriate forum.

Thanks,

Chuck

I don't usually use SpamCop Webmail to send attachments, so I haven't had this problem. What I'm hearing is that with the same browsers on the same PCs trying to send the same attachments to the same addresses, you're getting mixed results on whether or not the attachments actually get attached to the messages. This could be because of a problem specific to one of the Webmail servers, which I think are behind load-balancing hardware. I think JT needs to look into this issue. Please email "support at spamcop.net" about it. Thanks!

OK, I don't usually use webmail for sending anything (especially attachments) but I just tried a few and had no problems getting the attachments delivered.

A couple of things I did notice and might help you to check...

1. I found it awkward to hit the "Attach" button to actually get the attachment in the document.

2. Did you confirm that the file shows as attached at the bottom of the message before sending it?

3. I tried with both single excel documents and multiple word documents and expierienced no problems in several tests with both.

I also tried a few before enabling the saving of sent messages (you can do that when you are sending yourself the message at a different account) with no problems.

In summary, I can not duplicate your problem. The suggestion to email support at spamcop.net seems to be the best I can do as well.

Sorry

In summary, I can not duplicate your problem.  The suggestion to email support at spamcop.net seems to be the best I can do as well.

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help, probably.

Once or twice a person has emailed me with the same problem. They can't send attachments from webmail. One said he verified that the attachment was listed before sending, but it didn't send anyway.

On these occasions, and other times, too, I've done a lot of testing with sending attachments. I've logged in as the users who were having problems so that I had all of their account settings. I've tried various browsers. I've tried large and small attachments, as well as multiple attachments. In every case, it has worked fine.

I really can't explain why a few people have problems. If you can see if a particular back-end web server here has a problem, that would be helpful. Look at the mail headers for which server accepted your email. Maybe, at least for some people, a couple of the servers work and one doesn't.

JT

• 1 year later...

Archived