Problem when submitted by 'forward as attachment'

RogerGosling

As recommended for Outlook Express 6 users, I have submitted spam by using the 'message > forward as attachment' option. However every time that I do this I get a reply titled

"SpamCop encountered errors"

with the message text starting

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

Despite this, the message has an attachment of the original email I sent to SpamCop. That email contains an attachment and opening that, then file > properties > details tab gives the headers for me with no problem.

So I am at a loss as to why SpamCop rejects spam reported in this way; this after all is the method recommended!

I have continued to submit spam using the more time consuming process of copying and pasting the headers into the email then submitting the spam and this works OK. However I would love to be able to use the quicker method of just forwarding as attachment instead as its so much more convenient.

Can anyone help me to find out why this method is not working for me please?

My version of Outlook Express is 6.00.2800.1123 and I am using Windows 98 original version.

All the best

Roger

You state several times that you are subitting the header .. what about the body of the spam?

Then the next possibility are the settings of your OE ... for example, verify that you're set to send in Plain Text, vice HTML ... try changing the encoding ...

items found under Tools | Options | Send from the OE top menu bar

You state several times that you are subitting the header .. what about the body of the spam?

Then the next possibility are the settings of your OE ... for example, verify that you're set to send in Plain Text, vice HTML ... try changing the encoding ...

items found under Tools | Options | Send from the OE top menu bar

Thanks Wazoo, but I am sorry to report that 'plain text' is already the mail sending format, so its not that.

And yes I am including the whole of the email I am reporting as spam as an attachment, so its text is there as well as its headers (found by the method in my original post)

What do you mean by "try changing the encoding" ??

Any other suggestions?

Roger

Please try the following procedure:

1. Send yourself (or have a friend or another account of yours send you) a test email with at least one IP Address in the headers.

2. Forward that test email to yourself, using the exact same procedure as if you were forwarding to your SpamCop submit address.

3. Post the results here, munging only the email addresses.

Thanks!

Sorry to appear thick but in:

1. Send yourself (or have a friend or another account of yours send you) a test email with at least one IP Address in the headers.

what do you mean by:

"with at least one IP address in the headers" ??

Is that just effectively any message or do I need to do something special?

I'm sending this post from work, but I won't be able to get at the headers of the test email until I get home this evening as my webmail won't let me get at message headers.

If someone can give me clarification of the above, then it would be very helpful.

Cheers, Roger

The "at least one IP" suggests e-mail transmission other than one AOL account to another AOL account, for example .... this type or routing is done within the AOL server farm, so there is no 'normal' header / tracking data included ...

The "at least one IP" suggests e-mail transmission other than one AOL account to another AOL account, for example .... this type or routing is done within the AOL server farm, so there is no 'normal' header / tracking data included ...

Yes, Wazoo, that's what I was hinting at. Webmail to Webmail with internal routing would have the same issue, even if full headers were available. Testing is the main reason I have accounts with so many different providers.

I've sent myself a test message from work, then forwarded it to myself as an attachment. The headers from this message when received by me are below.

I hope this is what you wanted me to do!

Cheers, Roger

Received: from smtp-out7.blueyonder.co.uk ([172.23.146.10]) by cluster6 with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5329);

Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:53:54 +0000

Received: from qpz66 ([82.32.24.129]) by smtp-out7.blueyonder.co.uk with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600);

Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:53:54 +0000

Message-ID: <000901c3ffbf$078fb200$03000004[at]qpz66>

Reply-To: "xxx" <xxx[at]blueyonder.co.uk>

To: "xxx" <xxx[at]blueyonder.co.uk>

Subject:

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:57:22 -0000

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

Return-Path: roger.gosling[at]blueyonder.co.uk

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 01 Mar 2004 18:53:54.0060 (UTC) FILETIME=[8B30B4C0:01C3FFBE]

OK, had to "play" with it ... problem is in the first two (actually four) lines of your example ... word wrap got you, so those lines are "broken" .... if it was me doing it, I could go beyond this littel issue, but the parser is not that forgiving ...

To explain, to get it to run through the parser, I deleted the "character right after the ";" at the end of lines 1 and 3 in your example .... added a blank line, added in a bit of text, then hit the Parse button ... it ran all the way through with no hangups ..

Technically, a bit odd, as you started this with "sending as an attachment with OE6" so word wrapping shouldn't be involved .... but ... dang, ok, maybe it's the whims of the you copied there, paster here, and this software manipulated to fit the screen .. shoot, maybe the obvious I started with isn't the issue .. let me go back and tinker some more ...

I have still got the same problem - anyone know what I can do differently to sort this out?

There are other people who have emailed me to say they have the same problem too, which is (sort of) encouraging!

Is there any way that I can help to get this problem sorted out?

Cheers, Roger

Wazoo

I tried a few times to send you an email on the address you gave me but it didn't work.

I got the following with the obvious bits xxx'd out. do you have another email address or is the problem at my end?? I have had no trouble with other emails sent out today.

All the best, Roger

--------------------------------------

Subject: Undeliverable:Re: spam reporting using Fwd as attachment

Your message

To: Wazoo

Subject: Re: spam reporting using Fwd as attachment

Sent: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:36:24 -0000

did not reach the following recipient(s):

xxx[at]xxx.com on Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:32:43 -0000

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email

server. Please contact your system administrator.

<smtp-out5.xxx.co.uk #5.5.0 smtp;550-195.188.213.8 blocked by

blacklist.sequoia.ops.asp.att.net.>

send you an email on the address you gave me but it didn't work

Wow, that's a first. And, yes, unfortunately, the problem is at your end, the server your e-mail is exiting the blueyonder network. I do notice that the IP address list in this blocked massge is different then the example you posted that you'd mailed to yourself. But then again the 172.x.x.x is a "local" number, so that doesn't count ...

I've a number of addresses, but looking at http://www.moensted.dk/spam/?addr=195.188.213.8 , I'd have to guess that none of them would allow your incoming to make it. Think we're back to the suggestion of posting the spamover in news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.spam ... clicking on this link should cause your OE to pop open in newsreader mode and take you right to the newsgroup.

might be a bit easier than setting a new e-mail account somewhere (though, this might solve a few other problems for you) <g>

Archived