[Resolved] listed IP 209.19.30.4 ms1.cs1.camincargo.net

mremotti

Derek, Wazoo

Thanks for your interest in helping.

We did close all the loopholes we thought we had and reconfigured the PTR record on our mail server to the correct one.

Now we may still be vulnerable in some way or another and any suggestions are welcomed but remember PLEASE this is a one man show (for now) and I am not a technical expert so all your testing with VRFY on-off, the RTFM, the AVG and alike acronyms don't help me much unless I know how to set that up without taking a Microsoft University Degree Course ..... only have 24 hours, a job and a family :-)

Regards

Marcelo

VRFY

34483[/snapback]

VRFY is an SMTP command. If that command is enabled at an SMTP Server, an SMTP Client can use it to ask the Server whether or not a particular email address exists. Spammers can use this capability many times in a dictionary attack to compute a list of your users' email addresses. I suggest turning off VRFY.
RTFM

34483[/snapback]

Please see http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/r/RTFM.html.
AVG

34483[/snapback]

AVG Anti-Virus products are produced by Grisoft.

THKS

(smtp for 'thanks') ?

:D

34486[/snapback]

Marcelo,

Sorry for the 'side exchange' which can't have helped you much. In plain English, I tried to talk to your SMTP server using Telnet (a simple program for talking to servers). I thought I was talking to your machine, but was in fact taling to the e-mail virus scanner on my own machine (doh!). When I typed 'help' (which would have listed the commands that your sewrver accepts) it gave me a rude reply, which amused me!

Hope that's clear.

Derek, Wazoo

Thanks for your interest in helping.

Words appreciated, especially compared to being called an elitist *&^% in another discussion today for my "lack of helping" <g> But to turn that around, thanks for busting your behind in working your issue out. See now that the "today's increase" is down to 6% so I'm going to tag this thing as resolved for now. Congrats!

I am not a technical expert so all your testing with VRFY on-off, the RTFM, the AVG and alike acronyms don't help me much unless I know how to set that up without taking a Microsoft University Degree Course ..... only have 24 hours, a job and a family :-)

34483[/snapback]

If it's of any value, let me admit to being confused in here for a bit ... reading "content" first, the "what port" question struck me as odd for someone trying to handle an e-mal server .. then walked into the use of AVG ..??? I had to scroll back up, re-read, re-read again, only then did I notice that these weren't "from" you <g> ..... Had me shook for a bit ...

Once again, your efforts are appreciated. Thanks!

OOOHHH BOOOYYY

another Fryday

I hope you Gurus are reading this,

we just experienced a critical malfunction of our Firewall and reverted to the old configuration sending mail from 209.19.30.34 instead of our 209.19.30.46 or .45 mail servers PTR's

CISCO has shipped a spare and will be here within hours,

PLEASE keep us out of the blacklist while we work on this problem.

Thanks

Marcelo E. Remotti

Information Systems Manager

Camin Cargo Control, Inc.

230 Marion Ave., Linden - NJ 07036

Phone: 908-523-0616

Cell: 732-309-6923

Fax: 908-862-2545

mremotti[at]camincargo.com

PLEASE keep us out of the blacklist while we work on this problem.

34616[/snapback]

Though the impact and thoughts (and definitely the recent hard work on your part) are noted and appreciated .. part of the "magic" of the SpamCopDNSBL is its "automated" configration ... keeps the human judgement factors out of the mix. And lets point out the obvious ... if there was a post here saying, yes sir, we will whitelist your server(s) .... I don't think I want to conjecture how many of the "interested Guests" that peruse these Forum entries would have/take a second thought about jumping on that bandwagon and (attempting) to take advantage of that free-ride of shoving their spew through your systems .... a headache I'm sure you don't want ....

Archived