[Resolved] Forum structure changes

dbiel

I like the additional of the new section (forum?) found just after Announcements.

It seems like a very good improvement. I like the new FAQ structure.

The one thing I see missing at this point is a direct link to [How-to] Post a Question Yes it is found in the Announcement Forum as a pinned item, but since this is flagged as the place to start, a link back to it here would be very helpful.

Second suggested change:

Move the forum "SpamCop Flat-Rate Email Account Setup" to a sub forum of "SpamCop Email System & Accounts" like what was done with "Geek/Tech Things"

Thanks Wazoo for the impovements already in place, including the addition of

"Forthcoming Calendar Events within the next 5 days" I hope it was a new addition and not just something I have never noticed before!

I like the additional of the new section (forum?) found just after Announcements.

It seems like a very good improvement.

Basically a "category" with no content, and the settings on it are basically to act as a "redirector" to another URL .... but as a "category" it can be placed/moved within those other titled Forum section entries.

I like the new FAQ structure.

Wish that populating would end up being a bit smoother, but ... working things in as time goes on ...

The one thing I see missing at this point is a direct link to [How-to] Post a Question    Yes it is found in the Announcement Forum as a pinned item, but since this is flagged as the place to start, a link back to it here would be very helpful.

I went blind I guess, I didn't find anywhere that I'd placed that other than "as an Announcement" ... I had to create another post out of it so I could point to it ... wierd ...

Second suggested change:

Move the forum "SpamCop Flat-Rate Email Account Setup" to a sub forum of "SpamCop Email System & Accounts"  like what was done with "Geek/Tech Things"

Makes sense to me .. done ...

Thanks Wazoo for the impovements already in place, including the addition of

"Forthcoming Calendar Events within the next 5 days"  I hope it was a new addition and not just something I have never noticed before!

34688[/snapback]

Forthcoming events is based on entries into the Calendar .. I believe used only one before, (back in August) .. also a Maintenance Window warning that was offered up in advance (unlike the one yesterday)

I very much like the new link to "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - long/off-site" but in all fairness to catb.org, Eric Steven Raymond, and Rick Moen; I recommend that we make the following change:

Change the link to point to a separate page, sample copy below, and then link from there to the catb.org site.

Sorry to interupt your transfer to "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" but there are a few very important points that need to be made before completing the transfer.

1) The site provides detailed instructions on how to ask a question that will result in you receiving answers that actually help solve/answer your question.

It is well worth the time you will invest in reading it.

2) The site is NOT connected with SpamCop in any way, form, shape, etc.

3) If you wish to ask questions about SpamCop, please return to the SpamCop Forums and post your questions there. Do NOT post any SpamCop questions on the web site you are being transfer to! Please!!!!!!!

4) As of this writting, the site is available in 15 different languages.

The clickable link to the site follows the following quote taken directly from the site you are being transfer to:

Disclaimer

Many project websites link to this document in their sections on how to get help. That's fine, it's the use we intended — but if you are a webmaster creating such a link for your project page, please display prominently near the link notice that we are not a help desk for your project!

We have learned the hard way that without such a notice, we will repeatedly be pestered by idiots who think that our having published this document makes it our job to solve all the world's technical problems.

If you are reading this document because you need help, and you walk away with the impression you can get it directly from the authors, you are one of the idiots in question. Don't ask us questions. We'll just ignore you. We are here to show you how to get help from people who actually know about the software or hardware you are dealing with, but 99% of the time that will not be us. Unless you know for certain that one of the authors is an expert on what you are dealing with, leave us alone and everybody will be happier.

Please click on the following link to complete the transfer to:

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Eric Steven Raymond

Rick Moen

Copyright © 2001 Eric S. Raymond

I very much like the new link to "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - long/off-site" but in all fairness to catb.org, Eric Steven Raymond, and Rick Moen; I recommend that we make the following change:

Change the link to point to a separate page, sample copy below, and then link from there to the catb.org site.

34710[/snapback]

Dang!! and after all that work .... I did it a different way ... trying to deal with that bad feeling of the day that even after all that was done today, ... well, you know ...

Excellent suggestion, that you provided all the stuff to fit in, I'm feeling bad about not going that route ..... but if (we) can't get that first click accomplished, it's pretty hard to go with that three or four more clicks down that path are going to happen ... On the other hand, your recommendation and included data did show that I should have added something similar to the Forum version of the SpamCop FAQ when I added that link there ... though the concern at that time was some of the explicit (though valid) dialog found there .... as appended to that FAQ entry, there is only one real definition of RTFM .... (though also just now remembering that it was already under the Heading of "Other Sites")

Anyway, here's hoping that this latest change addresses the issue (per their request also) ...???

It seems like a very good improvement.

34688[/snapback]

Me too!

Wazoo, I think this is a real improvement. I certainly hope new visitors will take time to read it and interact with the content.

I'm hoping the old addage regarding horses and water isn't the governing mode of interaction :-)

Andrew

Me too!

Wazoo, I think this is a real improvement.  I certainly hope new visitors will take time to read it and interact with the content.

I'm hoping the old addage regarding horses and water isn't the governing mode of interaction :-)

34726[/snapback]

I'm having trouble trying to accept these "it's good" comments and trying to deal with other opinions and experiences .... such as in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5202 ... am thinking the horse would be more fun at present ...????

I'm having trouble trying to accept these "it's good" comments and trying to deal with other opinions and experiences .... such as in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5202 ... am thinking the horse would be more fun at present ...????

34736[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I know what you mean. It takes the fun out of trying to help.

Just remember that those of us who know you, love you, and do appreciate all the extensive work you have been and continue to do supporting "our" forums.

I'm having trouble trying to accept these "it's good" comments and trying to deal with other opinions and experiences ....

34736[/snapback]

Not to belittle the value of dissent and constructive criticism but sometimes it's worth remembering Muscas non capiunt Aquilae. Flies do not carry away the eagle. By the same token, the eagle does not carry away flies. Complex issues, encouraging "survival skills" by providing extensive resources and information, encouraging people to seek out answers to known issues (the "Heuristic" approach to "education"), multiple entry paths to get "here", sometimes bypassing all the clues carefully set out, agitation, panic, angst and anger - it's never going to be easy. Wonder what the admins of the "serious and severe" block lists go through?

And all this covered yet again in a PM received this evening;

Please delete my account (xxx[at]spamcop.net). I am finding this 'help' system much too complex and time consuming for my simple question, and, low and behold, I guess I now found out I wasn't supposed to use my email address as a login name!

????????

... ????????

34762[/snapback]

You keep caring - that's the thing :) Variability in human capacity, experience and response - it's the only game in town ... tho' it cannot be denied the call of the wild has a strange attraction at times.

Archived