New Purge Feature

Mprachar

If "When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?" is Checked (as I recommend to avoid data loss), your deleted messages in your Trash mailbox/Folder will be "purged" automatically when you login after 7 days.

Please see Webmail: Deleting and Moving Messages for details.

If "When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?" is Checked (as I recommend to avoid data loss), your deleted messages in your Trash mailbox/Folder will be "purged" automatically when you login after 7 days.

Please see Webmail: Deleting and Moving Messages for details.

35604[/snapback]

Or whatever you have set them to delete after... https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/prefs...up=monthlytasks

Purge old message in the Trash folder?

Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days.

Or whatever you have set them to delete after... https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/prefs...up=monthlytasks

35609[/snapback]

I don't think those settings work. I have "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" Unchecked and "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this many days." set to 14, and yet the oldest message in my Trash mailbox/Folder is just a little over 7 days old. :(

I don't think those settings work.  I have "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" Unchecked and "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this many days." set to 14, and yet the oldest message in my Trash mailbox/Folder is just a little over 7 days old. :(

35611[/snapback]

Well they work for me in the opposite direction. I have the "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" Checked and "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this many days." set to 5 and the oldest message I have in there is 11/2/2005 as I would expect. Perhaps there is an undocumented default of 7 days when you have the option unchecked? I will change my days to 14 and see what happens.

Might there be some issue about having to log into WebMail to have the purge take effect?.

I have notice that frequently when I do log into to WebMail I am greeted with the question: Do you want to perform maintenace function - delete messages older that 14 days in Trash

Note: the about is not a direct quote as I did delete my trash a few days ago so the message is not currently being displayed.

I usually reply no to this question.

Edit: note I had changed my settings to 10 days, when I logged back in I received the following message

Mail Maintenance Operations - Confirmation 

Notice — Mail is ready to perform the maintenance operations checked below.

Check the box for any operation(s) you want to perform at this time. 

All messages in your "Trash" folder older than 10 days will be permanently deleted. 

So it seem that at least for me the settings are working correctly.

Note: I have also selected the following options:

Perform maintenance operations on login?

Ask for confirmation before doing maintenance operations?

It would appear that if "Perform maintenance operations on login?" is unchecked, it disables the purging function.

Even after changing "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days" to 999, I was still getting auto-purged after 7 days. I have now checked "Purge old message in the Trash folder?", we'll see how it goes.

It is interesting how Jeff G.'s experience differs so much from my own.

35696[/snapback]

I can partly understand the system using a system default of 7 days if the check box is no enabled to over-ride that setting, bit the wording should be changed to indicate that.

I agree about the wording. The intent of my settings as worded was to do maintenance on my sent-mail, but keep my trash around until I was good and ready to archive it to offline media.

I have now checked "Purge old message in the Trash folder?", we'll see how it goes.

35693[/snapback]

Now I get prompted when I login, and allow the action, but I still only had 7 days of Trash. I moved all my Trash messages to another Folder, will wait a week to see if it clears up.

Well they work for me in the opposite direction.  I have the "Purge old message in the Trash folder?" Checked and "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this many days." set to 5 and the oldest message I have in there is 11/2/2005 as I would expect.  Perhaps there is an undocumented default of 7 days when you have the option unchecked?  I will change my days to 14 and see what happens.

35622[/snapback]

OK, Had forgotten this thread until yesterday. It seems the system did not start to implement my new settings as I still have only 5 days of messages in my Trash even though the setting is set to 14 days. Going to try turning it off for a day and then turning it back on "when I again remember this thread). ;)

That is very strange. When I made the changes they took effect immediately.

I have the following boxes checked:

Maybe that makes a difference.

I have the following boxes checked:

35994[/snapback]

So do I (and the rest unchecked). However, I only login to Webmail after reboot.

So do I (and the rest unchecked).  However, I only login to Webmail after reboot.

36000[/snapback]

That may be the problem.

It appears that these settings work the same as the filters and only get applied when you log in.

That may be the problem.

It appears that these settings work the same as the filters and only get applied when you log in.

36008[/snapback]

So how often do I have to login? I just logged in a little while ago, and my last login was Thursday.

In my case, the changes took effect immediately.

If there were any messages older than the time limit in the trash folder then the maintenance screen would pop up on log on and ask if I wanted to perform the maintenance functions or not.

The strange thing is that the last time I log in the message did not come up, so now I am getting confused.

Well, I logged into WebMail again and this time I did the the following message:

Mail Maintenance Operations - Confirmation  

Notice — Mail is ready to perform the maintenance operations checked below. 
Check the box for any operation(s) you want to perform at this time.  

All messages in your "Trash" folder older than 10 days will be permanently deleted.  

I clicked on perform maintenance and all messages older that 10 days were deleted.

Archived