mail server has added some new IP's ...

I am starting to see some strange rejections from Spamcop. Representative example:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z832505369zd7...8351ccbd6ead94z

Parsing header:

0: Received: from dapp07.gatewaydefender.com (unknown [209.153.138.137]) by gwd3.mx.core.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id AA7B5BFC83 for <x>; Sun, 27 Nov 2005 04:56:07 -0500 (EST)

No unique hostname found for source: 209.153.138.137

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

My registered mailhosts include:

Mailhost name:   gatewaydefender.com

Email address:  xxxxxx[at]en.com

Hosts/Domains:  defapp03.gatewaydefender.com

gatewaydefender.com

Relaying IPs:  209.153.138.123

Apparently gatewaydefender.com has added some new IP's in the 209.153.138.x series.

Please add those additional MailHosts for your "xxxxxx[at]en.com" account before trying to Report spam received through them. If you have any problems in doing so, please see the Pinned Topics in this Forum, especially Mailhost Issues - please read before posting. Thanks!

Please add those additional MailHosts for your "xxxxxx[at]en.com" account before trying to Report spam received through them.  Thanks!

36761[/snapback]

Gladly. How do I do that? I already tried using the "Add New Hosts" for that email address, but nothing new was added.

Just to make things more confusing, another spam that traveled through 209.153.138.137 was successfully reported:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z832505370z09...fe31fac67316aez

It appears that your addition of the new MailHost fixed the problem from your perspective, but that your analysis before posting "nothing new was added" was too cursory. Please look more closely at the contents of the drop-down boxes "Hosts/Domains" and "Relaying IPs" on your "Mailhosts" Tab. Thanks!

It appears that your addition of the new MailHost fixed the problem from your perspective
My perspective is that it did not fix the problem.
but that your analysis before posting "nothing new was added" was too cursory.  Please look more closely at the contents of the drop-down boxes "Hosts/Domains" and "Relaying IPs" on your "Mailhosts" Tab.  Thanks!

36765[/snapback]

What is it I should look for? The dropdown entries under gatewaydefender.com are exactly what I quoted above--nothing more.

I deleted the entry for gatewaydefender.com and tried to add it again. I got 3 test emails. When I returned each of them I was referred to the link where I could request a waiver. I did that, and the waiver was granted. Result: The dropdowns for gatewaydefender.com look exactly as they did before. Same 2 "host/domains" and same 2 relaying IP's.

I deleted the entry for gatewaydefender.com and tried to add it again.  I got 3 test emails.  When I returned each of them I was referred to the link where I could request a waiver.  I did that, and the waiver was granted.  Result:  The dropdowns for gatewaydefender.com look exactly as they did before.  Same 2 "host/domains" and same 2 relaying IP's.

36775[/snapback]

Hi, Neil,

...Seems like you've done all you can do without help from the SpamCop deputies. Please see Jeff G's initial reply, above 36761[/snapback] for a link to a page with instructions as to how to proceed. Thanks!

I wonder something.

I have Yahoo.com account and you know, it is a huge server farm. Does Spamcop keep up to date with the IP addresses or I should change something?

I didn't have any mailhost problem but if I see "forgery" message, what should I do? Remove entire Yahoo and add again?

<snip>

I have Yahoo.com account and you know, it is a huge server farm. Does Spamcop keep up to date with the IP addresses or I should change something?

36907[/snapback]

Hi, Ilgaz,

...In what way? As far as I know, SpamCop gets its knowledge about IP addresses which are sources of spam from its reporting users, not from ISPs directly. If you mean in terms of YOUR Mailhost configuration then, as far as I know, it does not. I've had this happen to me. I had to contact the SpamCop deputies (deputies[at]spamcop.net) when my employer added a server IP address to the outgoing server farm and the parser suddenly started to offer to report my employer as the spam source!

I didn't have any mailhost problem but if I see "forgery" message, what should I do? Remove entire Yahoo and add again?

36907[/snapback]

...Although I'm not sure, I think I know the message you mean and it seems to be a normal part of the parsing process. If you're careful in making sure the parser is not offering to report your ISP or MSP as the spam source, you can continue right on. As I indicated above, if the parser starts to offer your own ISP or MSP as the spam source, cancel that report and contact the SpamCop deputies with all appropriate information.

...Good luck!

36907[/snapback]

I believe you may be miss reading the standard statement "Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts" which simply means that the referenced address is not part of your current MailHost configuration.

The only time you need to do anything is if the referenced address should be part of your mailhost configuration, then you might what to try to re-add it.

Archived