How do I see the details on spam being reported?

You should not be "bouncing" messages at all because most spam are using forged return addresses.  The messages should be either rejected during the SMTP connection (500 level error code), accepted for the recipient to sift through, or accepted and deleted immediately.  Please see Why are auto responders bad? from the FAQ.

36900[/snapback]

Does this work if the spammer drops the connection before the 500 level error code is sent?

I have noticed that a lot of spammers drop the connection, instead of terminating politely, like with QUIT.

caltrans.ca.gov,Nov 29 2005, 06:47 PM]
You should not be "bouncing" messages at all because most spam are using forged return addresses.  The messages should be either rejected during the SMTP connection (500 level error code), accepted for the recipient to sift through, or accepted and deleted immediately.  Please see Why are auto responders bad? from the FAQ.

36900[/snapback]

Does this work if the spammer drops the connection before the 500 level error code is sent?

I have noticed that a lot of spammers drop the connection, instead of terminating politely, like with QUIT.

36908[/snapback]

...Hopefully, it will not work, as you probably do not wish to be sending e-mail to a host controlled by a spammer. :) <g>

...Note: please do not take this as anything resembling a serious reply to your question, as I neither am an e-mail admin nor do I play one on TV. :) <g>

caltrans.ca.gov,Nov 29 2005, 06:47 PM]Does this work if the spammer drops the connection before the 500 level error code is sent?

36908[/snapback]

When you system responds with a 500 level error, you are telling the sending server to send an error message to the place it received the message from. This should only be an authorized user of the system so should have an automatic way of contacxting that party. Your machine is not "sending" out any message. If the spammer drops the connection before, during, or after the rejection, it is unlikly the spammer cares.

As long as your system has a reasonable timeout, this drop should not be a problem for your systems either.

When you system responds with a 500 level error, you are telling the sending server to send an error message to the place it received the message from.  This should only be an authorized user of the system so should have an automatic way of contacxting that party.  Your machine is not "sending" out any message.  If the spammer drops the connection before, during, or after the rejection, it is unlikly the spammer cares.

As long as your system has a reasonable timeout, this drop should not be a problem for your systems either.

36914[/snapback]

Most zombies have 'send engines' only and ignore errors your server provides. The usual response is to drop the connection and no bounce/error report is sent. The zombies aren't full smtp servers, so aren't set up to respond as a normal server would.

This is a good thing because it means the mail is simply dropped rather than a misdirected bounce being sent by either the sending or receiving server.

Richard

Archived