Addition to Quick Reporting FAQ

Miss Betsy

From Don: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...t=0entry37352

"Quick reporting" via email submission is available to all SpamCop users, including free users.

A condition of enabling "Quick" reporting is that the user has to run our Mailhost configuration utility first so that SpamCop can create a list of the services that handle his email so that our system will know what servers to trust when he reports his spam.

Anyone wanting "Quick" reporting enabled should send me their login username (email address they registered for an account with us) and contact me directly at: service [at] admin.spamcop.net

Existing FAQ

Quick Reporting allows the reporting of only spam sources, very quickly. Please see the WARNING: below about the danger of such speed.

Emphasis: ONLY the spam source Nothing in the body of the spam is even looked at by the parsing engine.

Further explanatory notes found at Is quick-reporting still BETA?

Some procedural issues are addressed by Julian at Mailhosts and Quick Reporting

Email-based Quick Reporting is a feature of the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting System which may be allowed on a case-by-case basis by a SpamCop Admin. Please see To Quick Report via email (Linear Post #2 below) for details on using it.

Suggested editing:

Quick Reporting allows the reporting of only spam sources, very quickly. Please see the WARNING below about the danger of such speed.

Emphasis: ONLY the spam source is reported.  Nothing in the body of the spam is even looked at by the parsing engine.

Quick Reporting is a feature of the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting System which is available to free reporters, paid reporting only accounts, and SpamCop email service customers (see Web-Based Quick reporting below).  SpamCop will automatically report several spam  without any further action on your part and then send you an email about what it did.  The SpamCop return email containing the record of what was reported cannot be turned off.

A condition of enabling Quick Reporting is that the user has to run the Mailhost configuration utility first so that SpamCop can create a list of the services that handle his email so that the SpamCop system will know what servers to trust when he reports his spam.

Free Reporting & Paid Reporting only accounts

If you are authorized to do so, forward to your confidential quick.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net address (your Confidential Quick Address, where "quick" is substituted for "submit") just as you submit spam by email. 

Such forwarding is subject to the same restrictions as forwarding to your Confidential Submit Address - attachments are best, limit 50KBytes per message, and limit 100 attached messages per message.

Web-based Quick Reporting 

On the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting System, that feature is part of what is variously known as VER (Very Easy Reporting), Held Email, Held Mail Log, held log, and heldlog, and in all cases resides at http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog. It can accessed via the "HeldMail" Button/Link in the menu bar of the SpamCop Parsing and Reporting System http://mailsc.spamcop.net/ (which can be accessed via the "Report spam" Button/Link in Webmail) and has six Actions as follows:

CODE

VER Action                              Webmail Capability

~~~~~~~~~~                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick - report immediately and trash    "Report as spam"

Queue for reporting (and move to trash)  In Progress

Queue for reporting (do not trash)      In Progress

Forward (and whitelist sender)          "Release and Whitelist"

Forward (do not whitelist sender)        Release (or Move or Open and Redirect)

Delete                                  Delete

To "Queue for reporting" from Webmail, forward (from the message list interface only, not when viewing any particular message) to your confidential submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net address (your Confidential Submit Address).

Please see FAQ Entry: What is VER (Very Easy Reporting)? for details on VER (Very Easy Reporting).

For all users

Warning PLEASE make sure that your normal Reporting is working well for an extended period (never offering to report you to your ISP or your ISP to your ISP's ISP) before venturing into Quick Reporting. PLEASE also review your "SpamCop Quick Reporting data" email messages to ensure that your Reports are not going to the wrong places.

Anyone wanting Quick Reporting enabled should send their login username (email address they registered for an account with SpamCop) to service [at] admin.spamcop.net.

I don't know how necessary the warnings are any more since Mailhosts is a condition of using quick reporting. Even if the 'warning' is removed, I think that reviewing the report should be left in.

I consolidated Linear Post #2 into the Free Reporting/Paid Reporting section and didn't touch the Web based part since I don't know anything about that. I don't see the need for a picture of what the report email looks like, but it can be added.

Miss Betsy

Archived